PDA

View Full Version : Car bicycle racks_hitch

ahumblecycler
11-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I am purchasing a new (to me) car, and it has a 1 1/4" hitch. I am curious what experiences have with the different hitch racks. Please share positive and negative, and please state the manufacturer and model if possible (please).

Cheers.

Ozz
11-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I picked up a Thule T2 last summer....love it. Super well made and secure. Comes with a wrench to bolt to the hitch. The wrench has a bottle opener cut into it as well. Those cleve Swedes....

It only holds 2 bikes though. I picked up the 2 bike extension at the last REI sale, so I can now carry four, but this is only available for 2" receiver hitch version.

dnades
11-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I've got a thule 4 bike carrier (960 maybe?? been a couple of years). Its got an integrated cable lock (this could probably be cut in two seconds). Not the swing arm type of rack (that seems to take a two inch hitch- I would prefer one of these). Bolts on nice and strong to the hitch(5 minutes maybe) and can be lowered to get in the rear of the car. Pretty good rack overall. We carry three bikes with it (2mtb and one road) which it handles well. It holds the frames really well. The area around the seat tube has a right angle clamp built into the arm. Kind of an art getting more than two bikes on these though with all the handlebars and pedals etc. Getting a fourth bike on there is really tough. The one thing I don't like is that it 'bobs' as you drive. The extension from the hitch is quite a bit so any bump you hit transfers to the rack. As long as your bikes are firmly attached they just go along for the ride. I am tempted to cut the extension down on the rack and bore and tap a new hole so the rack is closer to the car. This might help the bob issue and it might not. Gas mileage is decent though (although to be fair I don't have a bike rack for my roof to compare to) we get about 27-28mpg with versus 32-33 without on the highway.

Luck

Chad Engle
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I bought a Hollywood this summer. Can't remember the model, but it holds 2 bikes. It requires removal of the front wheel, then strap over rear wheel and a qr like any roof rack tray for the fork.

Much less expensive than the thule or yak, no frame contact. Design includes a device you tighten once it is installed that keeps it from swaying back and forth, very neat.

I have almost forgotten my front wheel two different times. The price is right but having to remove the front wheel is a pain. That's the trade off, other than that I really like it. Stable, sturdy, includes locking hitch pin.

I would recommend buying the front wheel holder, must purchase separately but I think it is worth it.

William
11-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm running a Thule hitch mount swing out rack on my cruiser. It has the extension to run four bikes. It does need a two receiver for this one. I got it from a fellow forum member....he gave me a screaming deal on it. I really like it. Easy to use and I can swing it out to get into the back of the truck. I also have two fork mounts on the rack so I can carry up to six bikes out side the rig and leave room for lots of gear inside.

William

Tobias
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Please share positive and negative
Bikes on back get dirtier than you'd expect on longer drives. If the roads are wet it makes a bigger mess. For cars with unibody construction it's not an issue, but for body on frame vehicles with the hitch mounted off the frame they can give the bike a harsh ride. Not sure it that's ever a problem but watching bikes vibrate a lot while driving down the road is not something I like to see. On the plus side hitch racks save fuel.

C5 Snowboarder
11-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Bikes on back get dirtier than you'd expect on longer drives. If the roads are wet it makes a bigger mess. For cars with unibody construction it's not an issue, but for body on frame vehicles with the hitch mounted off the frame they can give the bike a harsh ride. Not sure it that's ever a problem but watching bikes vibrate a lot while driving down the road is not something I like to see. On the plus side hitch racks save fuel.

+1 -- The back of a car or SUV is a big vacuum cleaner and the bag is the back side of the vehicle.

William
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Very true. That's why the majority of the time my bike rides in the rig or on top. The hitch rack was for taking the whole family somewhere to ride. Unless we get caught in an unexpected shower, we only use it for fair weather riding.

William

ahumblecycler
11-21-2009, 09:56 PM
My thought is that the hitch will be for more local transportation, and for longer trips (e.g., all day driving) I would break down the bike into my travel case.

My LBS carries Kuat hitch racks. The alpha and beta look nice. Any experience?

Also, does any have a recommendation for a true secure locking mechanism?

Thanks.

r_mutt
11-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I bought a Hollywood this summer. Can't remember the model, but it holds 2 bikes. It requires removal of the front wheel, then strap over rear wheel and a qr like any roof rack tray for the fork.

Much less expensive than the thule or yak, no frame contact. Design includes a device you tighten once it is installed that keeps it from swaying back and forth, very neat.

I have almost forgotten my front wheel two different times. The price is right but having to remove the front wheel is a pain. That's the trade off, other than that I really like it. Stable, sturdy, includes locking hitch pin.

I would recommend buying the front wheel holder, must purchase separately but I think it is worth it.

i have this same rack and works pretty good, but it is a bit of a nuisance to have to remove the front wheel. like you, i have almost drove off twice without the front wheel. i was lucky as i was getting into the car driving to a race and a woman walking her dog pointed them out to me!

c77barlage
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I've been using a Yakima 4 place hitch rack for about ten years (2" receiver). It works as well today as it did when it was new. I don't believe the model I own has been in production for a number of years.

Norm Swift
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I use the Thule Ridgeline. Key part is the "no sway" cages that firmly strap down the tubes to minimize sway and rubbing bike-to-bike.

Integrated cable lock is a plus.

Mainly used for short distance, family bike rides but road spray would be an issue during bad weather.

Will work for 1.25" or 2" receivers.