PDA

View Full Version : touching up chips on Serotta carbon clearcoat

tv_vt
11-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Dropped a multi-tool on the carbon top tube of the Fierte IT I just got and put a couple of nicks in the clear coat. Seems a little fragile. What's the best way to touch up these little nicks? Was thinking maybe using a aerosol can of model clearcoat, spray a little on a plastic lid or something and dab it on with a toothpick. Or....?
While I'm at it, what about polishing 'polished' ti? Using a green scotchbrite pad seemed to take the polish off and give it a brushed, flatter look. What do you use?

Thanks,

Thom

cmg
11-20-2009, 10:36 AM
nail polish clear coat. Used this on a set of record brifters.

zap
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Carbon-clear nail polish and dab with toothpick. Not too much. A small amount, let dry, add more, etc. Don't feel bad, I've seen tools dropped on steel and al tt that left nice dents.

Ti-assuming it's not Litespeed high polish (that would need to go back) try using a soft cotton pad with metal polish. Try on bottom of bb shell first to see how it looks. It might be hard to duplicate factory finish unless you polish the entire frame. Thats a lot of work-trust me.

By the way-thanks again for leading the ride when we were in Vermont.

Pete Serotta
11-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Carbon-clear nail polish and dab with toothpick. Not too much. A small amount, let dry, add more, etc. Don't feel bad, I've seen tools dropped on steel and al tt that left nice dents.

Ti-assuming it's not Litespeed high polish (that would need to go back) try using a soft cotton pad with metal polish. Try on bottom of bb shell first to see how it looks. It might be hard to duplicate factory finish unless you polish the entire frame. Thats a lot of work-trust me.

By the way-thanks again for leading the ride when we were in Vermont.

Sorry to hear about the chips....I touched mine up as ZAP said

Ozz
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
posted across the hall....I thought it was funny:

#1 ... a hairline crack is the end of the thing, unless you put nail polish over it. then its fine.

#2 ... if a thread pops out, the entire frame unravels, unless you put nail polish over it. then its fine.

#3) ... cf dropouts are <bad> because carbon is a tension product not compression. (of course, you could just put some nail polish on it and then its fine).

#4 ... UV light degrades the carbon. that glossy **** on top (read nail polish) protects the frame. if you get a nude one, you need to lather up the frame with sunscreen (that or put nail polish on it).

#5 ... carbon handle bars suck because the manufacturers target weight weenies, so they suck as bad as light metal bars. if they actually made carbon bars at normal weights, they would rock. it goes without saying that ... one could probably put some nail polish on their uber light handlebars and they would be fine.

#6 ... its possible, though challenging, to make an entire bike out of nail polish. that said, one might like adding some carbon strings to it. that way it won't be so brittle. (another way to look at the carbon process ... might be a good exercise for some)

#7 ... if certain products like clorox, ammonia, or other caustic things get on there, it could melt the carbon or ... wait for it ... the nail polish. that ends the bike.