PDA

View Full Version : Bike Snob & Finding the right product!

whforrest
11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
The Bike Snob recently had an interesting and relevant post about our beloved cycling industry.
Every year I look forward to seeing the new product development. Giro helmets is a good example. I purchased the atmos many years ago. Best helmet I ever wore. The Ionos came out, sold the atmos to purchase the newer product, you know it's lighter with larger vents so of course I had to ride the best. Then I realized thatt the ionos helmet looks larger on my head and I realized that I missed my Ionos model. Damn i thought. I am an idiot? I sold the ionos easily and bought a new atmos (the older version.) After making this a hobby for a month I realized after seeing Giros new lighter helmet revealed at the Tour this year I realized it looks uglier than the previous model.

Point being, how much better can a helmet really get? In the spirit of many cyclists in this blog I now look for great value and have a much better filter to determine if something is going to be worth the long term value. I still buy mostly used assos clothing, and I have always gotten a return on my investment.

The Bike Snobs post addresses the industrys aggressive approach to replacing last years inventory. Take Specialized for example.

This holds good for Serotta. It's a one time investment that will give you an ROI, on every ride. It's still timeless. I just picked up an ottrot from 2004, did a refinish and this frame looks brand new. I could ride this thing for the rest of my life. Since I am so dedicated to the brand I will recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great custom frame.

In this economy I built a new rig that I could ride for many years, but of course I love to see what Serotta has up their sleeve for next year.

Happy cycling, Bill

MattTuck
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I really think that the next stage of cycling technology is going to be safety devices.

Things like collision detection / avoidance coupled with some airbag type system.

false_Aest
11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I avoid crashes by not riding.

Charles M
11-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Complaining is timeless and cutting edge.

Complaining always has a ROI.

Complaining is always relative.

Complaining allows someone to take at least part of any spotlight.

Complaining can last at least 16 minutes for every 15 minutes of fame.

Complaining is not only easier than creating and automatically makes the complainer smarter than the creator (product not important).

cmg
11-20-2009, 09:40 AM
"I really think that the next stage of cycling technology is going to be safety devices."

Nope, single use bolts with one-off matching toolsets that must be bought with the frame. GPS/computer built into the handle bars. Spokes that are magnatised so you don't need to add a magnet for the speedo. self filling water bottles. I'm waiting for the frameset that gets a job and pays for itself. the future looks bright..............

McQueen
11-20-2009, 10:25 AM
"I really think that the next stage of cycling technology is going to be safety devices."

Nope, single use bolts with one-off matching toolsets that must be bought with the frame. GPS/computer built into the handle bars. Spokes that are magnatised so you don't need to add a magnet for the speedo. self filling water bottles. I'm waiting for the frameset that gets a job and pays for itself. the future looks bright..............

- Self truing wheelset
- KERS system (like F1) Kinetic Energy Reserve - builds up power while you are coasting that you can tap into when under load.
- cycling clothes that can go in the dryer (without ruining them)
- Power/Wattmeter Pedals (that way you don't need a meter for each bike or wheelset - you can switch pedals to different bikes (or change wheelsets) and keep the wattmeter with you)

Actually, I started out to be facetious, but the power pedal idea isn't bad.

cmg
11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
more thread drift.
Battery packs that fit in the handlebar so your lights just plug into the bar.

rounder
11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
- Self truing wheelset
- KERS system (like F1) Kinetic Energy Reserve - builds up power while you are coasting that you can tap into when under load.
- cycling clothes that can go in the dryer (without ruining them)
- Power/Wattmeter Pedals (that way you don't need a meter for each bike or wheelset - you can switch pedals to different bikes (or change wheelsets) and keep the wattmeter with you)

Actually, I started out to be facetious, but the power pedal idea isn't bad.

You will be able to buy a powermeter pedal soon. They won't be cheap.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62804

Charles M
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Metrigear is "cheap", but it's all relative...