PDA

View Full Version : OT French handball and the World Cup

rwsaunders
11-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Not too many Parisians will be visiting the Guiness brewery this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/11/19/henry.handball.world.cup/index.html

goonster
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Ireland has requested a replay, but the rules are pretty clear that one can not be awarded without some major intervention from UEFA or FIFA.

It is a pity that Thierry Henry's reputation will be somewhat tarnished by this. Bad karma for France, for sure. It's looking more and more like England might have a chance, if the right set of players stays healthy.

The most intriguing team in the tournament will be Argentina, which should be like watching a surly Babe Ruth on meth herding cats.

Ozz
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Tough break for Ireland...but that's the game. No way a replay is happening.

I'm rooting for Spain...but England will be tough too.

Looking forward to the games.

:beer:

cadence90
11-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Really tough break for Il Trap and Eire.

Too bad for Henry to be classed with Maradona now.

But it doesn't matter, because ITALIA will win this next summer.*

* I mean, if Lippi calls up Cassano, which he never will.
Italy almost always wastes it's "fantasisti" (Zola, even Baggio, certainly Cassano, etc.)...I don't know why...they are what puts us on par with Brasil. :crap:

wc1934
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Tough break for Ireland - game won't replayed (but I would be in favor of it as it was not any old game - had major ramifications). Henri stated that yes it was a handball but that one needs to ask the ref as to why it wasn't called - wonder if the home crowd had any influence. - Are instand replays coming soon - Calls like that are to important to get wrong. Awhile back I heard that they also thought of putting a chip in the ball and sensors in the goal line to determine if the entire ball crosses line.

Totally agree with Cadence 90 - 1934 was the first one.

JMerring
11-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Too bad for Henry to be classed with Maradona now.

Maradona isn't classed the way he is because of the hand of god - rather, it has to do with all his off-field exploits thereafter. Just sayin. :beer:

Tom
11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
As Stojko (sp) of Bulgaria said after their improbable Cup run ended "God was on our side, but the referee he was French."

The ref had to have fallen asleep on that one, they were offsides too. I don't think he's going to be getting any decent assignments any more.

uno-speedo
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Maradona isn't classed the way he is because of the hand of god - rather, it has to do with all his off-field exploits thereafter. Just sayin. :beer:

I'll always remember Maradona for his hand of god.

http://wathiifm.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/hand_of_god_goal-orig.jpg

dumbod
11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Henry has nothing to be ashamed of. What he did is no different than countless "professional fouls" that occur in every game. Nobody would have said anything about it if the referee had made the proper call. Instead, the ref blew the call and suddenly Henry is a villian.

Football (or soccer as it is colloquially known) isn't golf. The ethos of golf is that players police themselves. The ethos of soccer, or indeed any refereed sport, is that it's not a foul if it doesn't get called. Players are expected to push the envelope.

I give the man credit. He stood up after the game and owned up to it.

As for Ireland, yeah, it sucks. It's not the first time a team lost because of a bad call and it won't be the last. Get over it.

goonster
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
As Stojko (sp) of Bulgaria said after their improbable Cup run ended "God was on our side, but the referee he was French."
Stoichkov was once suspended for intentionally fouling a referee (!). As a player with nothing but contempt for rules, fair play and opponents, his comments should be considered with that in mind.