PDA

View Full Version : Does your pet eat better than you?

Tmogul
02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
We got a show quality golden retriever a while ago and I had done all the research on how to best raise the expensive dog. Naturally you want to keep your new family member healthy so you feed him the necessary things to keep his immune system strong. Well the previous thread about why one eats too much brought to my attention the irony in the Man vs. Beast hierarchy. This is best observed when I find myself in a grocery store buying all these fresh veges organically grown like carrots, celery, and kale to puree FOR THE DOG while I grab a few bags of overly processed whatever pleasure food for consumption while watching a DVD later in the day. I would never feed sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, Red #40, yellow #5, and sulfur dioxide to my dog and yet there I am popping Russell Stover Pecan Delights bought on sale post valentines day while watching Rocky IV for the umptieth time wondering why I don't have a six pack like Sylvester. With all the crazy diets coming out lately maybe the best one is yet to hit the shelves.....

The Dog Food Diet
Firms Up The Fido Way :banana:

For those of you with great self discipline and meticulous meal plans and 2% bodyfat........... :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

Bill Bove
02-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Let's see, do my cats eat better than me? I just stopped on the way home and bought the cats a bag of Wysong's premium cat food and a can of Kitty Caviar dried bonita fish shavings for a treat. I got an eight pack of hot dogs and bag of M&M's for dessert. Yeah, the cats eat better than me. But do the enjoy theirs as much as I do mine?

Dr. Doofus
02-21-2005, 07:02 PM
dog -- dry healthy kibbles

doofus -- dry healthy bike food

its a draw -- Enervit vs. Nutro...

doofus has a line on a nice 59cm 9-year old frame that's sitting in a wearhouse in coated in cosmoline (no, not really)...put a 130 or 140 nos ritchey stem on it and the doc will race it this weekend...all for less than two pairs of those fancy swiss shorts...and then the doof might get hooked up from the land of leffe...life is good...look for two frames on ebay....

William
02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I just stopped on the way home and bought the cats a bag of Wysong's...

I used to alternate between the Wysong and Canidae with our English Mastiff. He would do well for a couple of months but then would start rejecting it. I wiuld ween him over to the other one and he was happy as a....giant clam for a few months and then he would start rejecting again. Switch back and he was happy again. Our Basset ( with the funny eye that scares Sandy ;) ) loves the Canidae.
It's the all natural, human grade food with no fillers etc... I'm not a sweets eater, eat lot's of fruits and veggies, unprocessed foods, non-fat dairy, low fat fish, turkey, chicken, and occasional lean red meats.

So...I would say, same=same. But, since she can't have an occasional pint of stout, I do better. :beer:

William ;)

Dr. Doofus
02-22-2005, 12:37 PM
when doof decided to quit cycling (actually made it stick for three years, too) and sold his bike to buy the future mrs. doof a ticket home from germany, your doof was working at a health food store.

one of your doof's many responsiblities was to buy all-natural pet stuff. at a trade show, your pet product purchaser tried a concoction called "Spot's Stew" -- beef, carrots, potatoes, peas, broth, you get the idea. the selling point of this stuff was that it was made from "all human-grade" ingredients...no second-quality spuds for spot.

What it was, of course, was really good beef stew being sold at 3.00 a can as freaking pet food. Doof bought it for the store...sold a ton of it, which was profitable, but perverse...and ate some of it now and then for himself, which was pleasant....

William
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
What it was, of course, was really good beef stew being sold at 3.00 a can as freaking pet food. Doof bought it for the store...sold a ton of it, which was profitable, but perverse...and ate some of it now and then for himself, which was pleasant....

When I was a about 10, there was an older kid in the neighborhood who would eat Milk Bone dog biscuts. Munched them like crackers. Did you ever live in Washington State Dr. Doof??? ;)

William

Sandy
02-22-2005, 02:07 PM
1. Sandy is NOT afraid of your hound.

2. Sandy IS afraid of you.

3. My brother had a friend in elementary school that brought cat food sandwiches for lunch. He didn't meow or purr.

Still Scared sandy

Tmogul
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Wow now that's some good stuff for dogs. :)
Anyways I just found it funny how I am so strict with my dog's health and yet I don't do the same for myself a lot of the times. It change of course when you really get hardcore with your training.

Sandy
02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Perhaps you love your dog more than yourself. Many pet owners do.

Sandy

dirtdigger88
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
If mrs dirt keeps feeding strays- it wont be long- Currently we have 2 dogs- 5 (yes I said 5) cats (inside) then we feed about 6-7 outside stray cats (joys of urban living) then we feed the birds and the squirles- and we can not forget Blossem the possem that live on (yes on- not under) my front porch- I am going to start a cook book for gatos- any takers

Jason

JohnS
02-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I don't feed my 9yo 90lb golden retriever from the rescue group anything. He's an Alpha male who eats showdogs for din-din.

dirtdigger88
02-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I want a golden in the worse way- I just gotta get one of my dog to kick the bucket- Anyone got any anti- freeze they are not using- only joking Sandy!!!! I do think we are getting a golden or a yellow lab when our one dong does go- he is 14 and sorta fat and very grumpy- not a good dog to have around a baby

Jason

M_A_Martin
02-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Jason, Ya put that ole possum on a diet of milk and bread and I hear that they're pretty good eat'n.

We used to have a possum on our porch who was big, shiny, and pretty as a picture book with white fur with black tips, big eyes, and the cutest pink nose. Best fed possum I've ever seen. She didn't live on the porch, she just came in for the cat food and treats. We pretty much were live as let live on the farm. We only had a problem with the possums when they'd start killing the poultry. As long as it was eating cat food, it left the birds alone, so we kept it fed.

My old dalmation had a skin issue and the vet said he needed an expensive lamb and rice dog food that was strictly lamb and rice...heck, I grew up on a sheep farm and I wasn't going to pay the top dollar required for that feed. I had one of my old cull ewes processed into ground sheep and cooked up some lamb and rice every night for the dog for about six months. The dog got over his skin issue and the ground mutton tasted pretty good on pizza.

So, when I have dogs, we usually eat about the same quality food.

JohnS
02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Check out the local rescue group when it's time to get a golden. Go to www.petfinder.com for a list. Many are not discipline problems but are given up by people that have a life change (move, divorce, etc.) and can't keep them. I wouldn't give up Bear for any other dog in the world. He's quiet, protective (rare in a golden), well trained and polite. He can be left inside for 10 hours without a problem and takes medication from your hand. He's great!

William
02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
1. Sandy is NOT afraid of your hound.

2. Sandy IS afraid of you.

3. My brother had a friend in elementary school that brought cat food sandwiches for lunch. He didn't meow or purr.

Still Scared sandy

Sandy,
Don't be afraid of me. Just scratch my tummy and I'll be your friend fo......ummm, maybe you should be afraid of me. :confused:

;) :)

William (Sandy's friend) :beer:

PS: See Sandy, I have a symbiotic relationship with lots of people.