PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Dream Bike

pinkskulls
11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I want to buy a titanium dream bike. I am choosing between the Lynskey Helix, the Moots Vamoots RSL and the Serotta Legend SE. My body geometry requires a custom fit. I have to get this right since it will be a custom bike - so I am gathering opinions. Any comments?

jpw
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Forget the brand. Find the best fitter first.

EddieBirdsell
11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Carl Strong or Tom Kellogg. Or Bill Davidson.

Bob Ross
11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Carl Strong or Tom Kellogg.

That.

/thread

rockdude
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I will through in Indy Fab. IF makes some sweet bikes.

Also with their clut following, Black Sheep. James has welded as many Bikes as anyone.

MattTuck
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
If possible, get a few fittings done, and try to atleast get your contact points dialed in on your existing bike for a while.

It won't have the ride characteristics of a custom, but before you spend big money on a custom, it would be good to make sure you're comfortable.

Even at $400/fitting, I'd suggest atleast 2. It could be an $8,000 mistake if the first fit is off due to poor fitting, poor flexibility or some other transient effect.

pdmtong
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd agree with multiple fittings (opinions) but isnt the issue that if they are not the same, now you have the dilema of which way to go?...still, just like choosing a contractor...you'll find you learn the questions ot ask along the way to make the best choice for you

also, i'd say the builder choice is a function of the experience you want to have.

want to talk to the guy on the torch? strong, spectrum, holland

want a small mfg with lbs interface? moots, if, seven, serotta

there isnt a BEST one....as they all play at the very top levels...

victoryfactory
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Any of those will be a dream.
But you don't ride a dream for long, it needs to become real at some point.
You want the one that you lie in bed thinking about riding in the morning.
You want the one that speaks to you when you're stuck at work on
a sunny day.
You want the one that you see yourself riding.
You want the one that will perform at a level higher than you can.
You want the one that says something about you that you want said.
You want the one that is not trendy now and passe next year.
You want a name on the down tube that you respect.
You want the one that gives you a thrill every time you look at it.

Any of those will be great bikes, you need to find the one that speaks to you.
Your choice at that level of frame, is less about details and more about
the intangibles.

VF

Not a paid spokesman for Serotta

sbornia
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Give Bill Holland in San Diego a call.

caleb
11-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I want to buy a titanium dream bike. I am choosing between the Lynskey Helix, the Moots Vamoots RSL and the Serotta Legend SE. My body geometry requires a custom fit. I have to get this right since it will be a custom bike - so I am gathering opinions. Any comments?

If you want local customer service, Moots or Serotta would be the way to go (or IF, Litespeed/Merlin, or Seven which aren't on your list right now).

If you want to do the mail order thing, then the list is long.

mcteague
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd agree with multiple fittings (opinions) but isnt the issue that if they are not the same, now you have the dilema of which way to go?...still, just like choosing a contractor...you'll find you learn the questions ot ask along the way to make the best choice for you

also, i'd say the builder choice is a function of the experience you want to have.

want to talk to the guy on the torch? strong, spectrum, holland

want a small mfg with lbs interface? moots, if, seven, serotta

there isnt a BEST one....as they all play at the very top levels...

Ti bikes from Spectrum are built by Merlin.

Tim

TimD
11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
If your "Ti dream bike" is defined as a bike which has Ti somewhere in the frame, then my recommendation would be an Ottrott, which combines Ti & C tubes. You didn't mention budget, and dream material objects rarely come cheap, but if the Ottrott is too much cheddah then the Fierte iT is a very good approximation.

I'd imagine the Seven Elium SG and the Indy Fab multi-material item would be worthy of consideration too.

Have fun :)

timto
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Find a great, experienced serotta fitter.
Get an awesome serotta bike.

Personal feelings are...

Serotta has a unique combo of heritage, materials (CC tubes!), fitting prowess and finishing that are hard to match by any of those brands other than spectrum. The heritage part is pretty cheesy I'll admit but serottas speak to me over the IFs/Sevens because of that.

I find the helix to be gimmicky
I found the moots I had to be non inspiring when riding

I never regretted selling my moots. I regret selling my serotta ti.

nahtnoj
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Since this is the Serotta forum, I feel obligated to chime in for Serotta.

But my real answer is that if you are within a days drive of the Lehigh Valley a trip to the barn is the only way...

avalonracing
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a Merlin. It's a great ride. I had a Legend Ti. It was also a great ride.
If you are looking for a custom Ti bike from one of the "top" Ti builders it is hard to go wrong if the fitting is done correctly and you are realistic in describing your riding style and handling needs.

It is a good investment in a bike that can last decades.

Kevan
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
You're standing on the front porch; why don't you knock on the front door?

StephenCL
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Pretty tough to go wrong with the builders that have been listed.

I would focus on the fitting. I would also get more than one fitting.

Unfortunately, I have seen some pretty strange "custom" Serotta's over the years that were the result of one fitter or another that had some radical ideas.

Be careful of the extremes unless you are significantly out of proportion.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Legend ti. It is a great bike that will last a lifetime. I have one, and I love it.

Bill Holland and TK also make great ti bikes. I always wanted a 6/4 Holland but never pulled the trigger, now the tubes are gone.

Focus on the fit and the desired ride quality. Then let your emotions guide the choice of builder.

That's my .02.

Stephen

veloduffer
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM

I own a couple of custom bikes - Richard Sachs, Seven Axiom - and am getting a third, a Kish ti cyclocross.

All the suggested builders will build you an excellent, well-made bike. But building the "right" bike depends on a few key things:

1) Do you know what measurements you want? Fit cycles are only a starting point. Take your most comfortable bike and analyze the dimensions and contact points. Saddle setback (bb to middle of seat tube) is one of the most important since it is the position in which you generate your power. I like a lot of setback (like LeMond and Merckx), which lends itself to laid back seat angles. For most off the rack bikes, I have to push the saddle all the way back to achieve that position.

Also, what's the difference in your saddle height and handlebar height? Mine has narrowed as I've gotten older and less flexible. I also ride mainly on the ramps of the handlebar.

2) if you can visit the builder, that would be much better. He/she can see your build and dimensions, and more importantly, how you sit and ride on a bike. I think it was JP (Peter) Weigle that used to have folks bring their bike and he'd tweak the fit (if needed) and have them ride it for a while. Then the rider would provide feedback.

3) Communicate what you want from the bike - stability, or quick turning? Stiff or good shock absorption? Are you a spinner or masher on the pedals? Some of this knowledge comes from riding a long time and owning different bikes. Plus, you might want a bike that is different than others that you own and/or have a different purpose (racing vs touring).

I would talk to a few builders. This will help you think about the process and the information needed, and the builders can help put some of the information in context (what if we did this....).

Good luck. :beer:

RBaker2778
11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Buy from whoever moves you. I personally have a Kent Eriksen ti bike that is amazing. I also have a Serotta that is totally different, yet equally amazing. Talk to a number of builders, and go with whoever you get the best feel from. There are so many good builders out there that can fit the bill.

All that said, my experience with my Serotta was great. From fit to delivery, it was super enjoyable, and the turnaround times are very quick.

csm
11-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Serotta... just sayin'
it is a Serotta forum.

Pete Serotta
11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Once I know where you live, I can offer some suggestions on fitters.... Our own Paraic here in Saratoga is 2nd to none and can also show you some of the recent ones he has done!

Yeah I am biased and so like the LEGEND,

As others have mentioned, the fitter and their ability to translate you "wish list" on ride and handling, along with your physical build needs are the key to many many happy miles. Ti is timeless is my riding experience,

Let me know if anything I can do to assist. PETE

Jeff N.
11-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Give Bill Holland in San Diego a call.Absolutely. Get a custom Exogrid for less than some makers charge for a regular Ti frame, plus internal rear brake cable routing and carbon rear stay (if desired) at no extra charge. No charge for the fitting, plus a money back guarantee if you're not COMPLETELY satisfied. Jeff N.

Ti Designs
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Even at $400/fitting, I'd suggest atleast 2. It could be an $8,000 mistake if the first fit is off due to poor fitting, poor flexibility or some other transient effect.

Wow, $400/fitting and they still don't know how you really ride the bike on the road...

zap
11-18-2009, 04:44 PM

If it must be Ti...................

and relying on a fitter for fit...............

Serotta or Spectrum. Our very own :) for a Serotta fit or Tom of Spectrum. Drive or Fly to either one. Fit and road ride.

Others may be comfortable with other fitters but the above are whom I would recommendo.

Helix..............really?

:) = Smiley. Washington, D.C. 'burbs and posts here every so often.

dogdriver
11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Thoughts from the peanut gallery:

What are your physical particulars? Are you sure you need a custom frame?

Without any more info, I'd suggest buying a used Ti frame close enough in size to make it work, build it with the spiffy wheelset and group that you plan for the final build,and ride, tweak, fit, repeat. When you're done, you'll either have a better idea what you need and have better input to the fitter (and sell the frame for 'dern near what you paid for it), or be so freakin' happy with the current build that you ride it forever...

One reason that there are so many used custom frames for sale is that people think that they can solve problems that the frame builders haven't thought of, and find out that they didn't. That, and gear geeks...

My $.02, Chris

cadence90
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
JIM KISH (http://www.kishbike.com/).

One-on-one, great work, and ti is his expertise.

92degrees
11-18-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a Ti Serotta. It rules. I have a Spectrum. It's better.

abqhudson
11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Buy Serotta - no regrets later.

I've owned several bikes, including two custom made for me - one carbon, one Ti - but, none rode as well as the Serotta Ti I bought used. It's a keeper, the others are gone. YMMV.

c-record
11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
So... no love for the Helix? Anyone been on one yet?

c-record
11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a Ti Serotta. It rules. I have a Spectrum. It's better.

People that say things like this make me add to my list of must-own bikes.

bigman
11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Fixed said it best - Serotta provides the playground - buy a new swing.

Where is Fixed ?

pbjbike
11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I own a couple of custom bikes - Richard Sachs, Seven Axiom - and am getting a third, a Kish ti cyclocross.

All the suggested builders will build you an excellent, well-made bike. But building the "right" bike depends on a few key things:

1) Do you know what measurements you want? Fit cycles are only a starting point. Take your most comfortable bike and analyze the dimensions and contact points. Saddle setback (bb to middle of seat tube) is one of the most important since it is the position in which you generate your power. I like a lot of setback (like LeMond and Merckx), which lends itself to laid back seat angles. For most off the rack bikes, I have to push the saddle all the way back to achieve that position.

Also, what's the difference in your saddle height and handlebar height? Mine has narrowed as I've gotten older and less flexible. I also ride mainly on the ramps of the handlebar.

2) if you can visit the builder, that would be much better. He/she can see your build and dimensions, and more importantly, how you sit and ride on a bike. I think it was JP (Peter) Weigle that used to have folks bring their bike and he'd tweak the fit (if needed) and have them ride it for a while. Then the rider would provide feedback.

3) Communicate what you want from the bike - stability, or quick turning? Stiff or good shock absorption? Are you a spinner or masher on the pedals? Some of this knowledge comes from riding a long time and owning different bikes. Plus, you might want a bike that is different than others that you own and/or have a different purpose (racing vs touring).

I would talk to a few builders. This will help you think about the process and the information needed, and the builders can help put some of the information in context (what if we did this....).

Good luck. :beer:

Give Kellog a call. I know he's still an avid rider/racer and I'd bet he could fit you better than most. Bring your bike to "the barn" and go for a ride with him. Good builders and fitters can pick out fit problems in a heartbeat just by watching you in motion. No amount of training or certification can replace decades of experience in the pack and behind the torch.

Keep us posted on your project!

Cheers

Tobias
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd agree with multiple fittings (opinions) but isnt the issue that if they are not the same, now you have the dilema of which way to go? You could average the two ..... or three. ;)

Bottom line is that no matter what any fitter comes up with there will always be the possibility that it's short of perfect. For that reason I agree with the couple of recommendations to take the data as a starting point and modify the existing bike to replicate the contact points and then ride it for a while. This verifies the position actually works as expected.

After a few months or a few thousand miles then I'd place the order. A good ti bike can last a lifetime, so taking adequate time to get a dream bike right is worth the extra effort IMO.

swt
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
For God's sake get a Spectrum.

slowandsteady
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
... and modify the existing bike to replicate the contact points and then ride it for a while. This verifies the position actually works as expected.

The only problem here is what if you can't modify your existing ride to "replicate the contact points"? One of the reasons so many people get a custom frame is because they cannot fit or modify a stock geometry bike to fit the dimensions they need (I am a case in point). I am almost more inclined to say buy a less expensive custom frame (in steel?) first and then ride the heck out of it and make sure you love the geometry/ride. When you really know what you need tweaked. THEN order your Ti / lifetime frame and hope you can sell your steel steed or relegate it to touring duty or rain or some such useful endeavor...

GuyGadois
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I think most people will agree that the Fünke - Never Nude is the dream bike :rolleyes: ...

http://gallery.me.com/danspeirs/100414/DSC_1747/web.jpg?ver=125055892200010

http://gallery.me.com/danspeirs/100414/DSC_1748/web.jpg?ver=12505589220004

fiamme red
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm partial to lugged frames, so I'd have to go with Bruce Gordon. :)

http://www.bgcycles.com/NAHBS08.html

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/2311217019_b16e491df3.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2311217227_1843750c20.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/2281171934_3e73c60390_o.jpg

mosca
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I think most people will agree that the Fünke - Never Nude is the dream bike :rolleyes: ...

At some point you really ought to paint that blue ...

GuyGadois
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
That is an awesome idea.

velotel
11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
As I once saw on a forum quite some time ago in answering a similar question, the poster said, referring to Moots, something like why buy a Moots when you can buy the original - Eriksen. He's been building ti bikes since 91, bikes since about 82. No one does it better. He knows fit and he's easy to talk to. Turn around time is good. The guy knows bikes and knows how to ride and what's needed.

jpw
11-19-2009, 04:52 AM

The most amazing seat post lug arrangement I've seen. Let down though by the ugly stay/dropout design.

soulspinner
11-19-2009, 04:58 AM
As I once saw on a forum quite some time ago in answering a similar question, the poster said, referring to Moots, something like why buy a Moots when you can buy the original - Eriksen. He's been building ti bikes since 91, bikes since about 82. No one does it better. He knows fit and he's easy to talk to. Turn around time is good. The guy knows bikes and knows how to ride and what's needed.

Didnt he take THE welder with him from Moots? Some of the welding on seatposts is the finest aesthetically I have ever seen.

Pete Serotta
11-19-2009, 05:43 AM
I have one of the seat posts on my Ottrott. It works well and looks great. Chad there is a wonderful guy to talk to and get knowledge from.

Didnt he take THE welder with him from Moots? Some of the welding on seatposts is the finest aesthetically I have ever seen.

Ray
11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Another plug for Tom Kellog at Spectrum. I'd owned and ridden a lot of bikes before Tom fitted me for my first Spectrum. I'd never ridden anything CLOSE to that bike before and haven't since. I'm sure there are others who can do the job, but I KNOW what Tom can do and can't imagine it being done better.

I hate him, btw - he completely destroyed my bike lust. Killed it dead. I want for nothing else in a road bike. Its been like that for five years now and I don't see it coming back anytime soon. I used to really enjoy bike lust. Now its gone. I blame Tom for that.

-Ray

92degrees
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
People that say things like this make me add to my list of must-own bikes.

My Serotta fit was a good one. I rode that bike for years, and was subsequently refit on it by a well regarded guy (not a Serotta fitter) and he barely changed the position. My Spectrum looks pretty similar on paper but TK put me in a different place on the bike. I do things on the Spectrum daily that turned my hair white on the Serotta.

Ti Designs
11-19-2009, 08:51 AM
My Serotta fit was a good one. I rode that bike for years, and was subsequently refit on it by a well regarded guy (not a Serotta fitter) and he barely changed the position. My Spectrum looks pretty similar on paper but TK put me in a different place on the bike. I do things on the Spectrum daily that turned my hair white on the Serotta.

I think you're confusing bike, rider and position (and let's throw skill in there just 'cause) Fit and handling don't really have much to do with the craftsmanship of the builder. I do things on my Surley fixed gear that would probably cause your hair to leap out of your head (mine did), but nobody is calling my SteamRoller a "dream bike".

My question to the OP is are you planning on riding the bike or sleeping with it? I seem to get into this argument with a few forum members on a monthly basis (is it time yet?) but looking at the pictures of some of those bikes, they CAN'T be high mileage bikes. Perfect paint, not a scratch on the components - they don't see the road that much, and when they do there's at least as much time cleaning as there is riding.

bgcycles
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
The most amazing seat post lug arrangement I've seen. Let down though by the ugly stay/dropout design.

Check out the pictures on this page - http://www.bgcycles.com/TitaniumTownBike.html
How about these dropouts - any better???
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
brucegordoncycles.blogspot.com

92degrees
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I think you're confusing bike, rider and position (and let's throw skill in there just 'cause) Fit and handling don't really have much to do with the craftsmanship of the builder. I do things on my Surley fixed gear that would probably cause your hair to leap out of your head (mine did), but nobody is calling my SteamRoller a "dream bike".

My comments weren't intended to be about craftsmanship -- I believe that any of the builders discussed here can do pretty welds or shiny paint.

I was specifically saying that TK did not change my reach or drop or saddle height, but I'm positioned differently between the wheels and the bike drives VERY differently than my Serotta. It's not voodoo -- Rake, trail, HT angle, front center -- there are differences to all of those numbers. Small differences that I guess make a big difference. I switch back and forth often (the Serotta is my rain bike, my dirt road bike, my ride with the kid bike). I don't think my skills change between Saturday and Sunday.

dd74
11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Another plug for Tom Kellog at Spectrum. I'd owned and ridden a lot of bikes before Tom fitted me for my first Spectrum. I'd never ridden anything CLOSE to that bike before and haven't since. I'm sure there are others who can do the job, but I KNOW what Tom can do and can't imagine it being done better.

I hate him, btw - he completely destroyed my bike lust. Killed it dead. I want for nothing else in a road bike. Its been like that for five years now and I don't see it coming back anytime soon. I used to really enjoy bike lust. Now its gone. I blame Tom for that.

-Ray
Pics. or at least a description of the bike, please?

Ray
11-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Pics. or at least a description of the bike, please?
Uh, ok. I've kind of gone on and on about this bike and I'm sure lots of folks are sick of hearing about it. But here's a pic. It probably wouldn't be the ultimate bike for most folks, but it fits me like a glove and rides and handles unlike I thought possible. I'd had previous bikes, each of which was a bundle of compromises, each with flaws that I figured were inevitable counterpoints to their strengths. But this one does everything well and doesn't have any flaws that I've ever found. Totally transparent bike. No downsides, no tradeoffs. Or seemingly so. I say the same thing with FAR more words elsewhere if you want to search for 'em. :cool:

-Ray

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4120623966_6c6553dfce_o.jpg

Waldo
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
But then again, I'm partial.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66095 The photo on the link is better.

Honey
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
but they build downright stunning bikes that ride even better:

TEMPLE

dd74
11-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Ray - nice bike. What ratio cassette is that?

MTrimmer
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM

I don't know the welder's history, but his work is incredible. Got chance to see it up close at NAHBS last year. Beautiful stuff. And Kent is a great guy to talk to. If was set on a Ti custom bike, he'd definitely be on my short list.

dd74
11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Thoughts from the peanut gallery:

What are your physical particulars? Are you sure you need a custom frame?

Without any more info, I'd suggest buying a used Ti frame close enough in size to make it work, build it with the spiffy wheelset and group that you plan for the final build,and ride, tweak, fit, repeat. When you're done, you'll either have a better idea what you need and have better input to the fitter (and sell the frame for 'dern near what you paid for it), or be so freakin' happy with the current build that you ride it forever...

One reason that there are so many used custom frames for sale is that people think that they can solve problems that the frame builders haven't thought of, and find out that they didn't. That, and gear geeks...

My $.02, Chris
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Excellent advice here, which is the route I've taken. I bought a used Paramount Ti w/ Dura Ace. I'm very impressed with Titanium, and think it's a marvelous frame material. The bike is light, very fast, and comfortable. But while I would consider a custom frame, I find I can also reasonably fit on many frames depending on the adjustables. Then again, if I were to have just one bicycle, I probably would shell out the money for a custom ride.

What currently has me in a bind is trying to decide between steel and Ti. :crap:

Jeff N.
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
but they build downright stunning bikes that ride even better:

TEMPLEWhy can I no longer find any website/information on TEMPLE??? Jeff N.

Honey
11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
they used have to a nice website and I know some of their showbikes just got sold off. They're prices were pretty much right in line with IF but I really liked the way their tube specs if I recall correctly its quite similar to what MOOTS is doing on the RSL now, 6/4 rear 3/2.5 main. It seems like everyone's 2 cents has just about named every quality builder across the country, (yet if someeone actually had 2 cents for each comment they would still be a ways from affording any of these)

cheers

Ray
11-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Ray - nice bike. What ratio cassette is that?
12-34, with a 46-34 in front. I like looooooow gears. I actually almost never use the 30 or 34 cogs, but I use 'em on a rare occasion. But the wide ratios allow me to use the 46 ring with cogs from 12-26, which gets me through most of my riding. The little ring is reserved for long and/or steep climbs. The 30 and 34 cogs are pretty much reserved for tough climbs on weeklong tours when I'm spent and I used to use them occasionally on one particularly pernicious climb on a local century, but I haven't done that ride in a couple of years. And just knowing they're there provides great psychological comfort! Seems stupid to many, but it works for me.

-Ray

brokenladder
11-20-2009, 10:34 PM
another vote for kent eriksen. i have a road frame and a cross frame from him. a pleasure to deal with and his enthusiasm really comes through. completely satisfied....

Satellite
11-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Soulspinner,

Kent did take one of the welders Chris he does great work; but Brad is the guy still at Moots. Brad lays Ti welds down as the hands of only a god could do. I do love my Moots welds (much better than my Ti Ibis) but realistically if the bike stays together who really cares about the welds. I know attention to detail and all that but the Ibis looks good in its own right just NOT next to the Moots. Kent is a great amazing guy but bang for the buck Moots does a better job.

PinkSkulls (OP),

The new Moots RSL is a sweet sweet ride get one and be the first on the block to have it. I will continue to pedal my outdated VaMoots SL around the block for a few more years (or forever).

Satellite

soulspinner
11-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Had an interesting convo with a guy from Eriksen about their take on butted tubing for ti. With so many diameters and wall thicknesses available to them, they think its best to just make straight guage custom to each rider. He said some of the butted tubing he has seen(not in house butted) has not been uniform in wall thickness and is expensive to boot. He says they have several wall thicknesses for stays in 7/8, for instance. In addition, butted tubing, being thinner in the middle will be a little less dent resistant. The more I spoke to him, the more it made sense.

Rob
12-03-2009, 06:17 PM
For my money I would purchase a Tommasini Carbo Mach and nothing else.
Wait a moment....
I did purchase a Tommasini Carbo Mach, pure titanium and carbon fiber Italian made perfection.
By the way, I too compared the Lynskey, but in the end I made the wiser choice. :banana:

dd74
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Hmmm...the more I ride my current 10-yr.old Ti, the more I wonder if I haven't already found my dream bike.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=64231&stc=1
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=64232&stc=1

Dekonick
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
If it must be Ti...................

and relying on a fitter for fit...............

Serotta or Spectrum. Our very own :) for a Serotta fit or Tom of Spectrum. Drive or Fly to either one. Fit and road ride.

Others may be comfortable with other fitters but the above are whom I would recommendo.

Helix..............really?

:) = Smiley. Washington, D.C. 'burbs and posts here every so often.

Seriously - no matter who you buy your bike from, fly in and give Smiley a visit. Fitting second to none...

Who do you want to do your fit? Given a choice, I would want someone who has done many, has a great track record, and has an understanding of mechanics beyond just what you learn in a 'fitting' course...

Hmm - Smiley is an engineer (think of mechanics and understanding of physics beyond that of your typical shop rat) and has done hundreds of fittings and has happy customers.

:banana: give :) a call

Dekonick
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM

That is one NICE stem!