PDA

View Full Version : Rob Stowe - I already did a search, but what else can you guys and gals share?

MMcG
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
There is a local seller with a Stowe frameset and extras for $100.00 - knowing a little about Rob Stowe this seems like a great deal. I think the frameset will workout size wise too.

A friend of mine had a Stowe built hardtail mtb and it was gorgeous. What else can you folks tell me about Rob and also his time at Phase 3 Cycles - because I think from the logos on this frame - it was built during that time frame.

Pic attached.

Thanks in advance for any information/recommendations etc. on this one, and on Rob Stowe in general.

taz-t
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM
i don't know anything about Stowe, but $100 is a low/no risk proposition. I'd buy it before it's gone and then figure out if it would work for me or not.

- taz

sam.g
11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I owned a Stowe Europro Phase 3 frame about 8 years ago, it was purchased used so I'm not sure when it was made however I believe the mid 90's. As I recall it was constructed with Tange Prestige tubing and rode beautifully, very smooth and precise especially on descents.

To the best of my knowledge, Robert Stowe is a small builder located in Rochester NY and has been building his own frames since he left Serotta around 1984. I contacted him regarding a tube replacement back in 2001, and found him to be very reasonable. I don't know if the following is still current: 716-242-2090, stoweman@localnet.com

I'd jump on this frame for $100!

Sam in Cincy

MMcG
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I hope the seller contacts me again. I left him my cell phone number and email address. I fear it has been snagged by someone already, but one can hope.

Another reason I hope to get it is the Rochester connection as I grew up just outside of the city in Chili, NY. :)

Bobbo
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Rob's gone underground - hasn't been seen or heard from in a while, so I don't know if he's still in Rochester. I think it's been a while since Rob held a torch, but there's still some of his frames around these parts. I'm sure you can count on the quality of the build.

GregL
11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I know that Stowe started building scandium frames around 2000, but shortly thereafter disappeared. The newest Stowe frame I am aware of is vintage 2002. He had quite a following in centeral and western NY, but has largely been absent from the cycling scene.

soulspinner
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Back in 2002 or 2003 I went to his shop around the corner from my house. Wasnt much going on and he didnt seem interested in repainting one of my frames. Dont think hes there any more.

WayneJ
11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Mark,

I have a Rob Stowe Phase 3 in pearl white with 7400 series Dura Ace. It is near mint. I can show it to you sometime if you buy the $100 one and want to confirm/compare features. Mine is pearl white, has a steel fork and is made from Tange Prestige tubing. Awesome lugwork - amazing how this builder slipped under the radar. The quality is top-notch.

Wayne