PDA

View Full Version : Minimalist kit for 40 - 60 Degree Rides

jimp1234
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Now that winter is upon us (such as it is in beautiful NorCal) I'm thinking about getting some new winter gear. Temperatures will typically be in the 40 - 60 degree range for those not acquainted with the area. I've always been big on layering, which has some advantages, but means longer time getting dressed/undressed, washing clothes,etc. I'm wondering with all the new fabrics out there if there's a way to get down to 3 garments; tights (or maybe knickers),a base layer, and a jacket. I think I have the base layer which is the Assos "fall" or "early winter" base layer. For tights I'm thinking Assos T RX.LL tights, but because my knees are sensitive to the cold I've also got the Assos Winter.LL_S5 tights on my list but they're probably going to be too warm. I'd also consider knickers, if I could find a pair that were warm enough in the knee area. For jackets, not really sure. Whdda think, can I do this in 3 garments? Any recommendations for "warm" knickers? How about midweight jackets? TIA

-Jim

false_Aest
11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
4 pieces of clothing

knickers
defeet undershirt
jersey
jacket

If your feet get cold go buy a pair of huge wool socks and pull them over your shoes.

KJMUNC
11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm a big proponent of buying the least amount of cold weather specific gear as possible since I have zero use for a $200 pair of insulated bibs most of the year. Instead I have a bunch of things I can mix match and layer as needed throughout the seasons.

In addition to my normal short sleeve kits this is what I use for cold/winter riding:
-s/s and l/s base layers by Craft USA
-arm warmers
-full leg warmers
-knee warmers
-wool socks
-insulated hats (light and heavy weight)
-light weight vest
-windproof winter jacket: I've worn this 3 times in 5yrs....it's too warm.

I live in L.A. now and thankfully don't use this stuff much, but I just moved from Boston where I would routinely ride in sub 40's and 30's. I find that in the coldest weather a long sleeve base + arm warmers, vest, leg warmers, and really good socks, gloves, and a hat are all I'd need. Anything more and I'd over heat.

If it was any colder my face would freeze before anything else and I'd stay inside and drink beer. :beer:

chuckred
11-17-2009, 06:40 PM
The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."
(attributed to Mark Twain).

Around here, 40 - 60 degrees is pretty easy to get by with leg warmers, base layer, jersey (arm warmers or long sleeve depending on which end of the spectrum, wind, etc.). With the dampness and breeze off the water in your area, you probably need some wind/rain protection as much as anything. Check out the Showers Pass jackets - that should get you through anything the Bay Area can dish out.

palincss
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Put a Wabi Woolens jersey on your list.

rwsaunders
11-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Imho, you don't need a jacket from 40-60 if you have a good set of arm warmers and a windproof (front) vest.

John H.
11-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Tights are too warm, knickers are stupid.
In addition to your normal bibshorts and jersey-
leg warmers
booties- sock type if you warm up quick/lighter windtex if you get cold
gloves- defeet type if you don't need too warm light windtex if you need more
short sleeve baselayer- can get outdoor/mountaineering type at REI for a better price
arm warmers
light vest
light jacket- see through showers pass type
earband for really cold mornings
With all this you should have options and be able to peel off as it warms up.

ahumblecycler
11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
My favorite colder riding gear include:

Capo arm and leg warmers
Assos winter socks
Shoe booties
Craft base layers (LS and sleeveless)
Gore Bike Wear shell (orange around $190)
Castelli Radiation jacket (single, multi-functional, dollar-for-dollar best piece of clothing I ever purchased ... and even better off of Bonktown).

flydhest
11-18-2009, 07:21 AM
I will not be going short sleeves at 60, so I don't see a reason to use armwarmers in the situation the OP suggests.

I think the baselayer + wool jersey + vest is right. You take off the vest when it warms up. 60 is still, in my ho, plenty chilly, so baselayer + wool seems good.

Knickers. I'm not likely going to be bare kneed at 60 so, knee warmers don't make sense in that setting. I don't need tights at 40, so knickers seem like a no brainer.

Shoe covers is a personal thing. If it were 40 the whole time, I'd likely wear them. Wool socks rock, so they are a natural. If you have circulation issues, shoe covers seem good, plus you can take them off. Do it while riding or else we'll make fun of you (unless, of course, you crash, in which case, we'll make fun of you).

Long fingered gloves in this case for me. Then, I would take them off and ride bare handed above 55.

dekindy
11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
My recommendations come from the perspective of two full winters of year round road riding in Indiana and also that I typically require one less layer of clothing than any of my riding buddies. I also review the weather forecast before a ride and am almost always able to dress exactly as needed to be just right. It took a full winter to achieve this knowledge and I was overdressed every ride that first winter. YMMV because everyone is different. My buddy says that I have more insulation so adjust your expectations accordingly. The good news is that Defeet and other brands make inexpensive articles for the temperature ranges that you ride at. When the thermometer dips into the 30's is when you have to go to the next level and it gets much more expensive unless you wait patiently for closeouts and are Johnny on the spot because they go fast.

I am assuming that your temperature range reference is to wind chill and not just the air temperature. Huge difference!

headband and helmet cover or lightweight balaclava

long sleeve t-shirt, Craft has versions with front windblock or get a Duofold or Underarmour(very expensive) brand.

Or instead of a windblock t-shirt get arm warmers and a Weather Warrior (http://www.weatherwarrior.com/). Defeet also makes one and I believe Sugoi. This combination is more versatile than a shirt since there are conditions that I need one or the other but not both. These will also roll up and store in a much smaller place than a t-shirt and are more easily removed during a ride if it warms up.

Knee warmers and/or leg warmers - better than knickers or tights because they can be worn with all your existing shorts/bibs and can be removed during a ride if it warms up.

Toe covers and/or Shoe covers and lightweight wool socks. Insulated insoles also help. In your climate insulated insoles and toe covers may be enough and this combination allows you access to your shoe fasteners for adjustments during the ride. Insoles (http://polarwrap.com/default.aspx?pid=1&sid=37&show=)

DeFeet wool gloves <$20.

You could call Lou at Foxwear (http://foxwear.net/) and he could fix you up with everything and his prices are very affordable. He probably has lots of clients in your area that he has considerable experience with and could give you good advice on your needs and options. He can do a windblock oversock that takes the place of toe/shoe covers and may be adequate at 40 degrees with an insulated insole.

nahtnoj
11-18-2009, 08:52 AM
These look interesting:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/men-s-apparel/capo/shorts-bibs.1804.html

They are Roubaix fleece shorts. Pair with a decent set of knee warmers and your lower body is set I think. 60 (for me) is too warm to be wearing tights, although regular shorts and knee warmers isn't quite enough at 40.

Upper body I would go with something like an Assos Intermediate jersey or the Giordana windtex jacket for about $100 less. The sleeves are not windproof on either of these so at 40 arm warmers underneath the jacket will improve comfort considerably.

EDS
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Now that winter is upon us (such as it is in beautiful NorCal) I'm thinking about getting some new winter gear. Temperatures will typically be in the 40 - 60 degree range for those not acquainted with the area. I've always been big on layering, which has some advantages, but means longer time getting dressed/undressed, washing clothes,etc. I'm wondering with all the new fabrics out there if there's a way to get down to 3 garments; tights (or maybe knickers),a base layer, and a jacket. I think I have the base layer which is the Assos "fall" or "early winter" base layer. For tights I'm thinking Assos T RX.LL tights, but because my knees are sensitive to the cold I've also got the Assos Winter.LL_S5 tights on my list but they're probably going to be too warm. I'd also consider knickers, if I could find a pair that were warm enough in the knee area. For jackets, not really sure. Whdda think, can I do this in 3 garments? Any recommendations for "warm" knickers? How about midweight jackets? TIA

-Jim

As others have suggested, above 40 you don't need a jacket. Get a long sleeve jersey or two and a wind vest and you will be good, with a base layer, down into the 30s. You could get a long sleeve jersey that has some windblock fabric like the Capo Limited Edition, which is a very nice piece of kit, and forego the wind vest.

You also don't need knickers or tights, just bibs and knee or leg warmers (get a nice thermafleece pair if your knees are sensitive).

This morning it was 45 and I rode with bibs, leg warmers, two lightweight shortsleeve base layers, a regular short sleeve jersey plus arm warmers. Plenty warm.

Kevan
11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
50-60 degrees, wear two jerseys, one short sleeved, the other long. Some jerseys tend to be warmer than others. Find the combination that works for you. In that temp range knee warmers rock.

johnmdesigner
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm a great fan of Assos even though it gets a bum rap for its prices. The stuff is beautifully made and fits snug. It is a layered system and while this does actually help them sell more expensive pieces it actually works quite well together.
I've tried Craft winter base layers but they felt too "plastic" to me.
NYC can be quite cold in the winter. Even so I have been quite comfortable in the 35-60 range with these products:

Bibs
Leg warmers
Thermal socks
Air Jac 851
Fall or Early Winter Base Layer
Roubaix Tights (can be worn over leg warmers if really cold)
Air Block Booties
Early Winter Gloves

If it's below 30 I'd rather spend the afternoon in the Sake Bar. :D

Ozz
11-18-2009, 03:25 PM
For me, most my riding is done in the 40 - 60 degree temp range...it pretty much sums up the PNW climate. Comfort depends on whether you are riding in sunshine, fog or rain.....

I usually head out in:

Bibshorts
Leg Warmers (fleeced if i don't expect the temp to get above 50, otherwise just lycra)
Craft SS undershirt
Jersey (long sleeve / winter jersey if I don't expect temp to get above 50)
Arm Warmers
smartwool socks
Booties (windstopper)

If there is going to be rain or fog, I will put on a shell (Assos Climajet) which helps shed the moisture and provide some wind protection / warmth.

I also really like the "liner" that goes into the Giro Ionos helmet to block some of the airflow thru the vents....

Cheers.

Johny
11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
40-60. That's summer morning here. :)

Wool jersey, knickers, lightweight hat, arm warmers from Ibex get it done. They are very versatile and are perfect for the 40-60. You can add a windproof jacket if it's closer to 40/windy/damp and then take off warmers when you're riding/hot.

I simply put on more layers (thicker wool hat, balaclava, tights, windproof vest and jacket) and gloves, on top of these, for my winter commutes (constantly around 0-10 F and very windy here with wind chill minus 20 F): 2 hours of suffering/joy each day.

Ozz
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
...around 0-10 F and very windy here with wind chill minus 20 F.
yeah, for that I'm just in standard bib shorts and short sleeve jersey.........cuz I'm on the trainer in my basement.

:beer: