PDA

View Full Version : USE Alien Cyclops clamp?

BdaGhisallo
02-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Has anyone used one of these new clamps yet? Does the replacement of the two tiny bolts with one bigger one improve it and remove the bugbears?

They say it makes it easier to make adjustments too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bruce K
02-21-2005, 05:10 AM
I just replaced one this past week.

It is definitely easier to make the initial adjustment. No more working back and forth until both bolts feel snug.

It is also a much better connection to the wrench (so to speak). Much less likely to round out the socket.

I cannot speak to adjustments yet. The clamping system is still the same and I suspect that will mean that it "locks in" the same way and will require a screwdriver/pry bar or rubber faced deadblow hammer to make the clamps let go after the bolt is loosened.

I'll let you know more after I've played with it a bit.

BK

BdaGhisallo
02-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Bruce,

The little bit of info that I have seen on the new clamp indicates that loosening the bolt will free the clamp.

I am interested to see how you get on.

Where did you get yours, btw? I am leaning towards a black alu post. I don't know if I want to deal with the carbon post clamping issues.

Thanks
Geoff

Bruce K
02-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Geoff;

If I had not gotten such a good deal on my carbon post the weight savings (minimal) and cost savings (significant) would have put the aluminum post on my Ottrott. I ended up getting aluminum for my Concours.

I got my clamps at Seaside Cycle in Manchester, MA (my LBS/Serotta dealer). I believe any USE dealer can get them for you now.

I'll keep you "posted" on how things progress. (sorry, I just couldn't resist :rolleyes: )

BK