PDA

View Full Version : Is Reynolds 953 made in the U.S.A.?

fiamme red
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Edit: The article doesn't say that the stainless steel tubing is made here, just designed here.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-steel-bikes3-2009nov03,0,2373141.story

The e-mail from an executive at Ford Motor Co. was blunt and direct.

"I do not have any interest in pursuing anything," the official wrote one of the company's parts developers in Escondido earlier this year, as the auto industry was sliding into a historic meltdown.

That was how tiny KVA Stainless Inc., a 5-year-old start-up working to develop lightweight, gas-saving stainless-steel components for Ford, got dumped and how it found a new direction on the shop floor...

Luckily for McCrink and his family business, the bicycle industry is discovering that new formulations of stainless steel can be light enough and more durable for frame construction.

KVA has a patented method of turning rolls of stainless steel into tubing used by the builders of custom bicycles.

"Even when we were working with the auto industry, I always thought that bicycles would be a smaller but worthwhile avenue to pursue," McCrink said.

The change in strategy already is paying off for the five-employee business.

Earlier this year, KVA began shipping high-grade stainless-steel tubing to Reynolds Technology Ltd., the British firm that has supplied bicycle frame materials for more than a century.

In the coming months, KVA will begin selling its own MS2 branded stainless-steel tubes to a small but influential group of craftspeople who make bicycle frames by hand that sell for as much as $5,000.

David Bohm, a Tucson bicycle builder known for intricate work such as inlaying mother-of-pearl into his frames, is already working with prototype KVA tubing.

"I am fairly confident this will be good, but nothing beats time to see how it works," Bohm said.

Steve-O
11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Unsure about where Reynolds is made but I have spoken to one framebuilder who was pretty excited about the KVA stainless. Tubing looks nice and pricing is very competitive...

sokyroadie
11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I have a frame on order from Paul Taylor that will use KVA stainless tubing. He has built several and recommended it above 953 or XCR plus it was a couple of $$ less.

Jeff

avalonracing
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
The profit margin to small bike builders must be a hell of a lot more than they would get from Ford anyway. 8 pieces of tubing to a small bike builder for $100 or 8000 to Ford for $100.

rwsaunders
11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Carpenter Technology in eastern PA has supplied unfinished stainless steel to Reynolds from what I have read in the past. I also understand that the tubing is fabricated in England.

MarcusPless
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I seem to recall reading that the Reynolds 'stainless' was a rolled/welded tube while the Columbus XCr was seamless. Not sure if it matters in the grand scheme of things or if this is simply Columbus' mechanism for justifying high pricing levels. :D I suspect the latter.

--Marcus

jpw
11-18-2009, 07:51 AM
The profit margin to small bike builders must be a hell of a lot more than they would get from Ford anyway. 8 pieces of tubing to a small bike builder for $100 or 8000 to Ford for $100.

8? 9 :beer:

jpw
11-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Carpenter Technology in eastern PA has supplied unfinished stainless steel to Reynolds from what I have read in the past. I also understand that the tubing is fabricated in England.

Airmet 100 Carpenter?

rwsaunders
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Airmet 100 Carpenter?

http://www.cartech.com

jpw
11-18-2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.cartech.com

Oops, 'Aermet'.

jpw
11-18-2009, 08:38 AM

Birmingham, England. It's the metal bashing industrial heartland of the country. Shefflied is 'steel city' (a bit like Pittsburgh in America), where they make many products from steel, both large and small (like the big pipes for the Iraqi 'super gun', down to humble knives forks and spoons et.c.), but Birmingham is the original home of Reynolds and their bicycle tubing. Reynolds USA may now be an entirely independent company..not sure.

rwsaunders
11-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Birmingham, England. It's the metal bashing industrial heartland of the country. Shefflied is 'steel city' (a bit like Pittsburgh in America), where they make many products from steel, both large and small (like the big pipes for the Iraqi 'super gun', down to humble knives forks and spoons et.c.), but Birmingham is the original home of Reynolds and their bicycle tubing. Reynolds USA may now be an entirely independent company..not sure.

Try this website....it looks like the US entity might be a distributor and the UK entity might be the tubing fabricator.

http://www.reynoldstechnology.biz/english.html