PDA

View Full Version : Serotta MTN Frames

mtnryder
11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I used to work in a shop that sold and fit Serotta's, and was always drooling over a Serotta MTB frame built up with full XTR, etc. As I never had the money for one, however, I never followed through. Now that I am a productive (sort of) member of society, I have been thinking more and more about having a custom frame built for me. I used to race in college, and although I am both a road and mountain rider, I am much more into the mountain side of things. I just picked up a 2nd hand Colorado TG 56x frame and am excited to build it up and ride it as my first Serotta.

Is there anyone out there who has a Serotta TiMax frame, or any MTB frame and like it over a StumpJumper or CDale?? How does it handle the rough stuff; flex, stiffness?? I have an older Stumpjumper that I love to death, have been thinking of making the $6,000+ jump to a TiMax.

Help??? :confused:

Richard
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
While my size is different from yours, I went from a Specialized Stumpy hard tail to a Serotta Odile and on to a newer Stumpy hard tail. For me the Stumpy is more fun to ride, both in races and for fast fun rides. I found that the Odile (same geo as a TiMax? I have no idea) handled spectacularly at speed IF you paid strict attention to it. If remember correctly it had a short wheelbase. That shortness seemed to preclude slower riding -- unless you were going fast enough to stay on top of terrain changes, it could feel a bit like a bucking horse. It had a Marzochi fork which was plush enough, but that might have contributed to the issue. Couldn't compare the rest of the geometry nor would I know what the differences meant.

Given the quickness and the short wheelbase (as I remember), it was a great racer. If your fitness allowed for good focus through the entire race it always did as you expected. If you reached the point where you got sloppy, the bike was unforgiving. The Stumpy seems to allow for sloppier inputs without the resulting wakeup call of terror. As I moved away from racing and the associated fitness, the Stumpy's nature was more appealing.

rugbysecondrow
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I am going to be selling one here shortly if you are interested. It is an older frame in pretty good shape with some slight nicks and dings. It might be a cheaper way to see if you like it prior to taking the big jump. I have components on it, but there are older (very functional) that you could take or leave. Up to you.

What size are you looking for?

Send me a PM

c-record
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Are you serious? I too was at a shop back in the day and longed for a Serotta. I was on a Trek OCLV, one of the first carbon bikes, and got a TiMax. The straight-guage version with Colorado Concept tubing.

It was lightspeed faster than my Trek. Made it feel slow and sluggish handling-which it was. The Serotta just jumped. I was faster due to a better bike. Some say bah to that but that's their fault.

A buddy built up an IF Deluxe and decked it out-XTR, etc. We went for a ride and I didn't want to say anything until he did then it opened up a can of worms: the Serotta was much stiffer through the BB, better handling, and about a full pound lighter in the frame.

I sold it to a friend and kinda regret that choice.

c-record
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I did end up riding a Stumpjumber M4 HT for a season a few years later too. It was stiff, handled pretty well-real neutral. Didn't have the snap and comfort of the TiMax. Didn't make me smile as much if that makes sense.

c-record
11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Since the TiMax was one of my favorite bikes it's easy for me to talk about it-as you can tell.

The C-dales and most other aluminum I've been on just didn't have that 'dialed in' ride quality of the Serotta. It was plenty stiff but much more comfy than any C-dale. I felt the trail but it took a nice edge off the bumps. Man, I rode the snot out of that bike.

mtnryder
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
While my size is different from yours, I went from a Specialized Stumpy hard tail to a Serotta Odile and on to a newer Stumpy hard tail. For me the Stumpy is more fun to ride, both in races and for fast fun rides. I found that the Odile (same geo as a TiMax? I have no idea) handled spectacularly at speed IF you paid strict attention to it. If remember correctly it had a short wheelbase. That shortness seemed to preclude slower riding -- unless you were going fast enough to stay on top of terrain changes, it could feel a bit like a bucking horse. It had a Marzochi fork which was plush enough, but that might have contributed to the issue. Couldn't compare the rest of the geometry nor would I know what the differences meant.

Given the quickness and the short wheelbase (as I remember), it was a great racer. If your fitness allowed for good focus through the entire race it always did as you expected. If you reached the point where you got sloppy, the bike was unforgiving. The Stumpy seems to allow for sloppier inputs without the resulting wakeup call of terror. As I moved away from racing and the associated fitness, the Stumpy's nature was more appealing.

I have no idea about the geometry myself, and Im pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I don't do any racing anymore, mostly due to time, but am stil pretty fit, and think that I would enjoy somthing custom made to my spec's if I'm going to be riding it for years (had my Stump for 7 now, still going strong). I only mention TiMax as it is the only MTB frame I see on the Serotta website available these days. Thanks for the help.

mtnryder
11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Are you serious? I too was at a shop back in the day and longed for a Serotta. I was on a Trek OCLV, one of the first carbon bikes, and got a TiMax. The straight-guage version with Colorado Concept tubing.

Yeah man, I watched so many people get fit on the Serotta fit bike, and drooled over the concept of having the same custom fit and light yet stiff frame components on my mountain bike (Im more into the MTB side of things- an S-Works or CDale MTB bike give me a much bigger stiffie than an Ottrot, much as I think they are nice bikes.)

I did end up riding a Stumpjumber M4 HT for a season a few years later too. It was stiff, handled pretty well-real neutral. Didn't have the snap and comfort of the TiMax. Didn't make me smile as much if that makes sense.

The M4 is what I have right now, black with red letters. I will say that it is a little plush, but still is stiff enough to enjoy.