PDA

View Full Version : Serotta MTN Frames

mtnryder
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I used to work in a shop that sold and fit Serotta's, and was always drooling over a Serotta MTB frame built up with full XTR, etc. As I never had the money for one, however, I never followed through. Now that I am a productive (sort of) member of society, I have been thinking more and more about having a custom frame built for me. I used to race in college, and although I am both a road and mountain rider, I am much more into the mountain side of things. I just picked up a 2nd hand Colorado TG 56x frame and am excited to build it up and ride it as my first Serotta.

Is there anyone out there who has a Serotta TiMax frame, or any MTB frame and like it over a StumpJumper or CDale?? I have an older Stumpjumper that I love to death, have been thinking of making the $6,000+ jump to a TiMax.

Help??? :confused:

victoryfactory
11-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm not a mountain biker but I recently got a Serotta ATX frame
(I think) and am in the process of building it up with new parts. So far I'm
thinking XTR der's, cassette and chain with off brand cranks (the XTR's are way
expensive) Avid single digit 7 brakes.
Haven't decided what to do about the front end yet.
I'm looking for old school (non disc) wheelset
to complete the package.

This frame is so cool.... level TT, ovalized DT, Colorado concept steel.
I am having a blast riding it around the city, and I am really amazed at how MTB
capable it is compared to a modern suspension rig, even without shocks.
I actually like it better than my previous dual suspension Tomac which I
found heavy, clumsy and cumbersome by comparison.

Here it is:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66585

good luck
VF

jpw
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Is the Serotta MTB only available in titanium? Or, is it going to be on offer in steel too for 2010? I read somewhere on here about the entire 2010 line and there seems to be a revamp of the MTB model in the offing? Do we know more details yet?

Adam
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
I believe that the only MTB frames Serotta will be doing in 2010 are the Ti and carbon/Ti - Ti Max and the Max iT.

I have a steel hardtail called the CMS and a Legend-like Ti hardtail called the CHT. Both are amazing...I would highly recommend investing in the Ti Max.

Tony Edwards
11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I used to have a Serotta ATi (the predecessor to the CHT) from about 1996 or so. It was an amazing bike and always a loyal trail companion. From time to time they show up on eBay for surprisingly reasonable prices (everyone wants FS nowadays, I guess). I don't really think anyone ever made a better hardtail than Serotta, and their early HTs kind of paved the way for what would become the norm for MTBs - they had longer top tubes and quicker steering than was the norm in those days (the mid '80s).

c-record
11-19-2009, 12:05 PM
They pretty much pioneered the 71/73 angles back when Ritchey and SBI were Bull-moose horned slugs.

gdw
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
"They pretty much pioneered the 71/73 angles back when Ritchey and SBI were Bull-moose horned slugs."

I thought Gray Fisher, no Grant Peterson, maybe that Bontrager guy, or was it...... :D

c-record
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
"They pretty much pioneered the 71/73 angles back when Ritchey and SBI were Bull-moose horned slugs."

I thought Gray Fisher, no Grant Peterson, maybe that Bontrager guy, or was it...... :D

Al Gore??

Aha.. kidding.

CSTRider
11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I've been riding/racing a ti Serotta Colorado Soft Tail (CST) since 2000. Similar to the well known Moots YBB, except it has a tunable air-oil Stratos XC Pro shock, and tapered & butted tubing etc. CST originally came with 80mm front shock and 1.8" XC tires, but am now running a 100mm front shock with adjustable travel, and 2.3" pythons. Not the lightest thing on the trail, but it's plush enough, climbs like a goat, is reliable and has virtually zero maintenance.

Have test ridden MANY other full suspension bikes over the past 9 years, but keep coming back to my CST because of climbing and handling. Just ordered a NOS Stratos rear shock & DKS bushing kit from the factory (thanks Jared!) for backup, so should be good for another 10 years. I don't see many others riding 9 year old mountain bikes who are still smiling!

HenryA
11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I have a Serotta TiMax 650B mountain bike. It is the best MTB I've ever ridden. It replaced my wonderful old Fat Chance which I could not ride because of a back injury. My back is better now and the new higher position on my Serotta will help keep it that way. I know of two other TiMax 650Bs - both owners feel the same way about their bikes - best ride they ever had.

You really should consider the larger wheels. 650B gives you all the goodness of 26" wheels --AND-- of 29ers. Crisp handling --AND-- smooth rolling. Sounds to good to be true but it is!

MsRN
11-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Mtnryder, if I could find a MAX853 in my size, I'd be all over it. As it is, I have a 19", which is a little large for me. In comparison, I find it to be lighter (in feel, and fact), better-balanced, and more nimble than were the mid-90s steel Stumpjumpers or S-works, even though it's the wrong size. I also prefer it to my hardtail Klein, which climbs like a mountain goat (sorry for the cliché simile), but is SO laterally stiff that it's near-unforgiving of excess body english. I'd encourage you to try a Serotta MTB, and see what you think...

...speaking of which, did I mention (shameless plug) that I have one for sale? :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=64956

M A :)