PDA

View Full Version : Single speed crank idea

Cinci Jim
11-16-2009, 08:35 PM
So have a new Soma Smoothie ES frame and I'm thinking to build it up as a single speed with parts in the bin. I have a Shimano 5600 105 double crank and a 42t chainring from the timing side of a tandem crank. Can I use these together for a crank on a single speed? Will it work? I will have to find a good rear cog that will work, but I'm hoping this will work for the front.

Thoughts?

choke
11-16-2009, 09:54 PM
As long as you can get a good chainline I don't see why it wouldn't. I built up a single speed using a Record crank and the 39 ring and it works fine.

robin3mj
11-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I used the same crank (with a Spot chainring) with a 130mm ENO Eccentric hub on my Kona Jake, and got virtually perfect chainline with the ring on the outside of the spider. Just remember to get a set of shorter bolts.

sjbraun
11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
That's exactly what my mechanic did when he converted a 105 triple crank for my fixed gear bike. Before you commit, I'd suggest you take a minute to mull over the the choice of 3/32 or 1/8 gears.
I've been running 3/32 and find I have to replace chains more frequently than I'd like (every 1200-1500 miles.) I suspect I'd have longer chain life with a 1/8 inch set up, but that would mean buying new cogs and a chainring.

Steve-loading up the fixed gear in a few minutes to get to work, planning my first fixed gear century on Saturday!!

oldpotatoe
11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
So have a new Soma Smoothie ES frame and I'm thinking to build it up as a single speed with parts in the bin. I have a Shimano 5600 105 double crank and a 42t chainring from the timing side of a tandem crank. Can I use these together for a crank on a single speed? Will it work? I will have to find a good rear cog that will work, but I'm hoping this will work for the front.

Thoughts?

Sure it will. Get some single ring chainring bolts, mount the ring on the inside, bobs yer uncle.