PDA

View Full Version : Computer

norcalbiker
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I have been thinking of getting a new computer. This time I am looking to buy with HR and Cadence. Would like here everyone opinion good and bad. Also, the best place to buy them.

TIA

Pete Serotta
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I know that folks seem to really like the POLAR ones around here..... As to best place to buy them - THE LOCAL BIKE STORE!!!

The cheapest initial price to pay will come from the internet and who has overstock they are looking to move. :)

false_Aest
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm digging my Blackburn Neuro 5.0.
The instruction manual sucks though.

don'TreadOnMe
11-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I finally used the Garmin 305 I received (nice gift, eh?) yesterday.
It has hr and cadence...
Anywhoo, I uploaded the day's data to a computer last night, and we geeked out for a while. Awesomely cool geegaw, color me very impressed.
Though I didn't buy it, I heard Amazon has great prices...

fourflys
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Garmin 305- Have issues with mine shutting off when hitting bigger bumps on the road... hear this is common. The 305 and 705 calculates calories burned from speed NOT heart rate (if calories are important to you...)
everything else is great

Sigma ROX 9.0- what I'm using now, really nice although the instructions suck and I'm not sure how accurate the current elevation is although elevation gain is fine... Has just about every feature I can think of except GPS tracking...

New Garmin 500- looks very nice and very easy to navigate through when I played with it at Interbike... calories are now calculated from HR... The only question is will it have the shutting off issues like some of the other Garmins... I might be getting this one...

If I didn't want altitude info, I would go with a Cateye V3 hands down...

norcalbiker
11-16-2009, 03:25 PM
After doing some studying on some the computer that was recommended here, I am going toward Garmin Edge 305. I just hope that I don't run into a big bump.

572cv
11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm pleased with my Mavic Wintec. I like the easy-read big numbers on the display, the wireless to the skewer mounted sensor, the seamless two-bike feature, and that it has altitude and pitch. The pitch lags a bit, though.

fourflys
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM
norcalbiker-
I'm wondering what kind of deals you'll be able to get on a 705 once the new 500 model becomes widely available...

I really noticed more of an issue with my 305 shutting off when I put it on my new, more stiff Salsa Campeon versus my Salsa cross bike with road tires... not sure if it is just a stiffer ride or what, I just know it'll for about 3 miles and shut off... on the cross bike or my Serotta it's good unless I hit a pretty rough spot...

YMMV and I hope it does! :)

Chris

Ti Designs
11-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Would like here everyone opinion good and bad. Also, the best place to buy them.

My opinion(s) are almost always bad (or was that wrong?) Ask anyone here!!!

McQueen
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I wish I could have stocked up on a few extra Avocet 45tt (I think you could add on a cadence, too)

Mine recently died (although it could be a battery issue, the lcd seems to have what resembles a small oil spill on the upper left side of the display).

paulrad9
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
After doing some studying on some the computer that was recommended here, I am going toward Garmin Edge 305. I just hope that I don't run into a big bump.

Sounds good, just keep the receipt....

TAW
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I'll throw in a vote for the Garmin 305, even though I'm sending mine in because of constant shutoffs. Hopefully the new one they give me will be better. I like it for the data storage, customizable screen, easy readout, grade calculation and I can use it for running (I put it in my pocket) or on either one of my bikes.

dave thompson
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
My wife has had her Garmin 305 for 2 years and about 6,000 miles, including 3 weeks on a bike in Europe, with no problems whatsoever. A terrific piece of equipment.

Johnnyg
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
The German VDO Z3 works for me. Not inexpensive but user friendly and well made.

Lewym
11-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm digging my Blackburn Neuro 5.0.
The instruction manual sucks though.

I have also been happy with the Blackburn Neuro. Very solid, simple unit and it combines HR, cadence and standard speed/distance functionality in a small, reasonably affordable package. The Neuro is way better than the prior generation device, the Delphi, which was unreliable (the 2.4GHz transmission of the Neuro is a significant improvement). That said, I like my Garmin quite a bit as well.

Hey False Arrest - as for the manual, download the Delphi manual (http://www.delphicyclometers.com/assets/pdfs/Blackburn_456.pdf). The functionality and buttons are exactly the same on the Neuro.

terrytnt
11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Fourflys,

Can you say more about the Garmin 500? Is there a place to go for 'early' reviews and info? Size, functions, what's different, etc.

keithreynolds
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I really noticed more of an issue with my 305 shutting off when I put it on my new, more stiff Salsa Campeon versus my Salsa cross bike with road tires... not sure if it is just a stiffer ride or what, I just know it'll for about 3 miles and shut off... on the cross bike or my Serotta it's good unless I hit a pretty rough spot...

Chris

The reason the 305 is shutting off is because of the battery connection in some is not as good as others. The top "half" of the unit is press fit to the bottom "half". The top contains the LCD, controller board. The bottom contains the battery and some metal fingers which are supposed to contact the controller board (tightly).

If you are electronic savvy or someone you know is, then here's a decent fix to create a wired connection. The instructions also include how to replace the battery for those so interested.
http://tinyurl.com/ydtz4qh

jemoryl
11-17-2009, 01:23 PM
The German VDO Z3 works for me. Not inexpensive but user friendly and well made.

Gee, that's odd. My VDO says "Made in Hong Kong" on the bottom....

dogdriver
11-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Dispersions about Garmin not withstanding, I'm pretty freakin' happy with my 305. Tells me everything (have , doesn't care what bike its on. Sometimes I just toss it in my pocket to see what the ride vertical was. The big boys are loving their 705 setups with power, but I can't justify paying that much to be depressed at the power numbers and get laughed at...

fourflys
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Fourflys,

Can you say more about the Garmin 500? Is there a place to go for 'early' reviews and info? Size, functions, what's different, etc.

This is just about everything you need to know about it... :)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=36728