PDA

View Full Version : Pictures and ?'s on Merckx 753

martinrjensen
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
for starters, this is really a continuation of a thread I started here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66255&highlight=powdercoating

I have posted some pictures of my new Merckx 753 frame below.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/martinrjensen/Eddy%20Merckx%20753/

The Serial number is: O -5260-Z. This leads me to believe it's a 1985/86 frame in 60 cm size. Note; it was listed as a 59 cm so it's slightly larger than my preferred size of 58 cm, which my other Merckx is. I'm thinking I will be able to make it fit.

Regarding some of the suggestions here, I checked with Gita and they say they do not do frame painting anymore. They suggested Joe Bell. I did check out the pricing on several painters.
After looking at this frame and the amount of rust on it, I don't think I want to spend that much on the frame but still am looking for information on it.
I really would like to know what model it is. Some have suggested a Grand Prix but pictures of other Grand Prix's have a name label on them, this one had no identifying name anywhere. it wasn't removed, it wasn't there originally, I'm sure of it.

There was a fair amount of rust on the inside of the tubes and a lot of rust spots on the paint. (One of) the previous owners had taken to using something like white out to paint over the rust marks, which offered no protection at all and looked like crap.

I plan to get as much rust out of the inside of the tubes as possible, then treat it with a rust converter compound, then use frame saver.
All in all, if I had the chance to do over again I would pass on this, but I did buy it, so I am moving forward as I'm still getting enjoyment out of the project.

The research I have done on Powder Coating shows that powdercoat can be removed rather easily, so if I choose this option, it's not like it can't be undone in the future. This is said because I had several comments that mention not to powder coat the frame, intimating that it would degrade the frame value. That's my interpretation at least. if the frame was in better shape initially, I would have not thought twice about having it painted but IMO it's marginal. I already had to sink almost $100.00 into it to have it straightened (the back triangle was out by 5cm or more but it is straight now).

Any help ID'ing this frame more than I have done will be appreciated. Any comments will be appreciated.