PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Shorts?

veggieburger
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Just got back from a nice long ride, but was so annoyed by the chamois of my Campy shorts. They barely cover the bottom of my butt, to the point where I am sitting on seam.

I have a beloved pair of Pearl Izumis, so I might invest in another pair.

Before I drop the $$, any other recommendations?

chuckred
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Boure (http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html)

Simple design and nothing weird - just comfortable all day long.

fourflys
11-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I've been REALLY happy with a couple pair of Mavic shorts I got off of Bonktown....

kmla320
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
I use Giordana's.Very comfortable on long rides.Mine are bib shorts and I also use Assos creme on every ride.

CNY rider
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
No shorts. Bibs.
In order of my experience.

1. Giordana.
2. Etxe Ondo
3. Tie: Boure and Performance
Big drop below the top 3.

4. Pearl Izumi
5. Castelli.

I think it's all really dependent on your anatomy, positioning, saddle etc.
It ultimately takes trial and error which unfortunately in this sport gets expensive. :crap:

regularguy412
11-15-2009, 05:36 PM
MOA/Nalini

Just got a pair from PBK. They seem to run about one size larger than I would normally wear. However, I just put in about 65 miles on them today and the pad was great. When I first got them and took them out of the package, I thought the pad looked a bit too big. Honestly, it is a bit larger than pads in the other shorts that I own. When I put them on and got on the bike, the pad seemed to disappear (in a good way). I never thought about it the whole ride.

I think the pad material, itself, is better than the Strata pad in my Descente Aero X bibs. Highly recommended. Don't have any info, yet, on durability, but the price is right, ~$67.00 USD.

Mike in AR:beer:

kgreene10
11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I have been searching for comfy shorts and/or bibs for a while and I finally came to realize two things: 1) every butt is different so listen to no other butt's opinions, and 2) the chamois and the saddle must "mesh."

I finally found a bib that works for me and my saddle -- the LG Neo Pro with the airzone chamois. I did 112.5 miles yesterday and felt better in the nether regions by the end than I do on my little 26-mile jaunts when rushed for time. The only problem with these bad boys is that they have extra long legs 11.25 inches. Otherwise, the foam is dense but thin and has good coverage.

veggieburger
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I've always been curious about the Assos, if they are worth the coin. If anyone has a pair of XLGs they'd like to part with, I'm game.

I'm also partial to the mesh bib section. The one piece lycra seems too restrictive for my anatomy. :banana:

MattTuck
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
In my experience, trying to buy cycling shorts is like buying wine by looking at the bottles.

My current favorites to wear are a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs, Craft bibs and Performance bike shorts. But I also have pairs of performance bibs and shorts that I only wear for short sessions on the trainer. and two pairs of Pearl Izumi shorts that I rarely wear outside.

In addition to the saddle - chamois combination, my weight also seems to make a difference. When I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now, the same shorts felt different, just as they did when I was 15 pounds lighter than I am now.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any method to predict which shorts will fit best without putting them on and riding, which can be an expensive enterprise given the prices on some of the shorts these days.

If anyone ever figures out a way to accurately suggest shorts, they'll be a rich rich man.

veggieburger
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
A lot of weight has to be given to good stitching. Even a quality chamois can cause a world of pain if not stitched in properly (as was the case with LG about 3-4 years ago). Likewise, a so-so chamois that is properly centered, a good size and without a center seam is far better than some really good ones.

I have ridden a few pairs of Descentes that didn't come up high enough at the front or back, yet cost more than they should have.

xjoex
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I really like the Sugoi RS shorts (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-sugoi-rs-shorts.html) . I have 4 pairs now. Wore them on a 3 hour mtn bike ride today with no problems. Plus, they stand up to washing, which my old Pearl Izumi shorts could not do.

-Joe

Jim Braley
11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
despite the price there is nothing better in my opinion than Assos bibs. I spend tghe extra dollars there and spend much less on things like jerseys, helmets, gloves etc.

WadePatton
11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Boure (http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html)

Simple design and nothing weird - just comfortable all day long.

a big "plus one" boure.

plus domestically produced.

plus it's ned's company (ned overend-legendary atb racer)

what more?

oh yeah, unconditionally guaranteed.

now what more?

cheers

jlwdm
11-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Both the Assos and Rapha bibs are excellent. Nothing but comfort.

I have been able to get the Assos at good discounts. Last winter $119 and $129. I don't buy the most expensive Assos.

Jeff

jhat
11-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I used to be a fan of Pearl Izumi but the latest shorts cut right thru me. They no longer work for me, any time on them is too much and I purchased 2! Assos are my new favorite, especially the blue/green chamois versus the orange.

Everybody is different but I am really surprised that the Pearl's no longer work for me as they have been fine for many years.

Louis
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
For me: Pearl Izumi with 3-D Race chamois.

They offer a wide range of chamois and their web site describes the differences. I get the feeling that the stiffness of the chamois is the biggest thing. The lower end models are not as stiff, the higher end models more so. I've tried both and am like Goldilocks, not to soft, not too stiff.

Unless the shorts can pedal up the hills for me I can't justify spending Assos-like money on them.

Louis

rockdude
11-15-2009, 10:42 PM
For bibs, I only use the top of the line Assos. Shorts that means cyclocross or winter riding over tights, so something cheap like mid line Performance works fine.

regularguy412
11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
I used to be a fan of Pearl Izumi but the latest shorts cut right thru me. They no longer work for me, any time on them is too much and I purchased 2! Assos are my new favorite, especially the blue/green chamois versus the orange.

Everybody is different but I am really surprised that the Pearl's no longer work for me as they have been fine for many years.

I agree. I used to LOVE PI, but the latest pair I bought (2006) had a poor chamois and a poor fit. I still have some older pairs that I use almost exclusively on the trainer,, and they are MUCH better than the new ones.

Mike in AR:beer:

beungood
11-16-2009, 12:05 AM
At somene's suggestion here I tried Voler and love them so far. Far better fit and durability than the Demarchies that I have been wearing and WEARING OUT. I am not pleased with the Demarchies they seem flimsy and pill/wear out within a few rides..

bagochips3
11-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Favs my a mile are Assos. Yes they are expensive, but worth it. I got my first pair with 30% live cash back and 10% eBay coupon and they ended up being $140 or so, so I took the plunge. Ever since I rarely ride anything else.

Others:

Hincappie are my second favorite.

Voler my 3rd favorite.

Castelli have been a mixed bag for me; the Y-bib pro or whatever it was called were awesome. A more recent pair with kiss chamois are the worst bibs I've ever owned.

PI I used to love, but that was before I started trying other brands. They are now my "I guess I have to since everything else is in the wash" choice.

I've heard good things about Campy stuff, but haven't tried it. I will probably get a pair of Boure next to try them based on recs here.

thinpin
11-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I think Assos are the benchmark ....at a price. Along with comfort the stuff really lasts.
Been trying others for the last three years to compare. All bibs. All european brands so PI etc are not included. No reason just the way it is.

Giordana wins hand down. Excellent quality and a great value, very close to Assos.
Next De Marchi contour pro. Only issue is the fit, that might be personal.
Endura, British, hard as nails, great for cross and winter.
Santini..poor quality stitching, gel pad rucks up under the chamois!
Castelli, prior to 2008 pretty awful fit and chamois

Giordana were the stand out.

jblande
11-16-2009, 04:40 AM
How does the sizing on Giordana compare to Assos?

bw77
11-16-2009, 05:16 AM
I like the Boure Elite shorts. Heavier material, better compression and longer wearing than their Pro shorts.

desalvo
11-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Agreeing that fit is an individual thing, I'll offer my experiences anyway. They're all bibs.

My favorite 'expensive' bibs are Giordana Forma. They fit me better than Assos (I own FI.13 & the S2 models). The Assos are very high quality; they just are a little too tight in some of the wrong places. My club used to use lower end Giordana bibs, and they were good, too.

Contrary to others, I'm impressed with the newer PI bibs. I used to hate their stuff going back about 10 yrs. Sugoi RS bibs work for me as well, though I did get a bad cut from the edge of their chamois last year on a 70 mile ride. Instead of chamois creme, I experimented with Body Glide that day, so that may have been a factor.

Hincapie fit well, but the pad lost its cushiony feel over time.

Cannondale & Descente stuff was crap. Biemme was so-so. Club will be on Santini next year, so I'll probably try some of that.

Elefantino
11-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Until all butts are created equal, there is no correct answer.

Ditto for saddles.

Ditto for feet and cycling shoes.

Trial and error. Buy. Try. Repeat.

snah
11-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Love my Capos.

JMerring
11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
How does the sizing on Giordana compare to Assos?

I wear a medium in both the Giordana Silverline bibs and Assos FI UNO S5 and FI MILLE bibs.

Agree with the other posters that Assos, while expensive, are far and away the best and worth the $$. I have two pair Assos for longer rides and the Silverlines for shorter rides. Silverlines are more than good enough but when I wear the Assos I know where the extra $$ went. Get 'em if you can afford them.

oldguy00
11-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Assos SS Uno are my current favorites, can be found for about $160 I think.
Capoforma Atlas kit on the way, looking forward to trying it.

OtayBW
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Favorite shorts: Assos bibs. Aside from being the best fitting and most comfortable for me, they still look near new after 3 seasons. Expensive, but maybe low cost per mile!