PDA

View Full Version : 100% black components?

Climb01742
02-20-2005, 01:35 PM
is it possible to equip a frame with all-black components? i mean, ALL black. like wheels with black hubs, black spokes, black rims (like nimble spiders, for example.) and if so, what would your all-black all-stars be? for each components, each bit on a frame (even seat post clamp, for example: campy), what's the best all-black bit? i'm dreaming of the ultimate sleath frame (i'm gonna try to sneak up on sandy. :rolleyes: ) but seriously, is a 100% black bike possible?

shinomaster
02-20-2005, 02:07 PM
back spray paint

shinomaster
02-20-2005, 02:08 PM
oh yeah...everything campy record is black as are all their wheels..

Smiley
02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
A tougher question ia all SILVER components :banana:

Bruce K
02-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Climb;

Shimano 105 9-speed has a nice looking black brake caliper that I am putting on the new HED TT bike. You are probably looking for higher end stuff.

I am trying to make it look as stealthy as possible (it comes in a matte black finish with white decals).

So far the build looks like this:

HED V0.4 frame, fork, seat post, and carbon saddle.
Shimano 105 9-speed brake calipers (black)
Ultegra BB
Shimano 105 rear derailleur (silver)
Ultegra front derailleur (silver)
FSA Team Issue Carbon cranks 53/39
Dura-Ace 12-23 cassette
HED Aerobars with integrated brake levers (carbon/black)
Dura-Ace bar end shifters
HED 3D Disc rear wheel
HED 3D front wheel
Conti Supersonic 700X23 clincher tires (black/gray)

If I hadn't had the rear derailleur in a parts box I would have bought the black 105 version.

It should be ready later this week.

BK

terry b
02-20-2005, 02:28 PM
All black is very easy. Wheels - any number of custom builds with black rims, hubs (hugi, record, king) and spokes. Stems - Ritchey, while the WCS line sometimes includes silver faceplates, the Pro line is all black. Some FSA stems are are all black. Thomson also. Seatpost - Deda Black Stick - the name sayes it all. Saddle - whatever you want. Bar - they're just about all black. Fork - Reynolds Lite is nearly all black with a little bit of white branding. Tires - whatever you like. Tape - ditto. Computer - ditto. Look - ditto. Brakes - record or zero g or mavic. Crank - FSA makes black spider, arms and rings, Campy CF has silver rings. Record RD and FD - only a bit of silver on the RD. Bottom bracket - who cares?

terry b
02-20-2005, 02:30 PM

Doing that right now - Oval Concepts stem and post (or IRD, or ITM SO white carbon,) Deda 215 bar, Pave saddle (white sides, black top) wheels = Speedcific hubs, Dt rims, silver spokes, silver skewers. 2003 Chorus shifters, 2003 Chorus crank. VDO C10+ computer, Benotto tape. Tires = Fortezza Tri Comp White/black.

It took a while to think this one out, especially the bar.

e-RICHIE
02-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Climb
ALL black?

dnovo
02-20-2005, 02:53 PM
All the time. Dave N.

David Kirk
02-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I like the looks I get with chunks of black Twizzler in my teeth. I'm given lots of room.

Dave

Wayne77
02-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Doing that right now - Oval Concepts stem and post (or IRD, or ITM SO white carbon,) Deda 215 bar, Pave saddle (white sides, black top) wheels = Speedcific hubs, Dt rims, silver spokes, silver skewers. 2003 Chorus shifters, 2003 Chorus crank. VDO C10+ computer, Benotto tape. Tires = Fortezza Tri Comp White/black.

It took a while to think this one out, especially the bar.

My current bike has all black components, I'm kinda tired of it. It seems like everything out there is black right now. Just wait a few more years and the industry will swing back to silver components..

Meanwhile, like Terry, I'm also trying for all (or mostly) silver bits and pieces. For my CIII in the works: Deda 215 bars, Chorus w/ centaur post, Silver Arione saddle, white or silver tape, DT RR1.1 rims w/ silver Speedcific hubs, and my favorite: the new Thomson X2 road stem in silver (very pretty - looks much better than the regular Thomson stem).

If I had a Parlee I'd definitely go all black though... :cool:

Bill Bove
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Ya gotta get the real black licorice, remember it came in an orangey yellow bag that had a camel on it. It was cut into small, round sticks and when you bit into it it was brown. If you chewed it for a while your whole mouth, teeth and lips turned black. you might have even had a little black spittle at the corners of your mouth too for added grossness.

Wayne77
02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Ya gotta get the real black licorice, remember it came in an orangey yellow bag that had a camel on it. It was cut into small, round sticks and when you bit into it it was brown. If you chewed it for a while your whole mouth, teeth and lips turned black. you might have even had a little black spittle at the corners of your mouth too for added grossness.

For some REAL black licorice try the stuff from Denmark or Norway. That stuff will put anything in the US to shame -its loaded with salt and has a half life of about 10,000 years. :cool:

Climb01742
02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
hey, can i get my thread back? :rolleyes: does anyone make a black chain or black gear sprockets?

and i agree, on the right color of frame, all silver rocks.

Bill Bove
02-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Sorry Climb, T.A. used to make aluminum cogs in a couple of colors one of wich was black. I never really understood why black, how would you know they were black? Wouldn't they end up being black anyway? Why not pink? Pink is the best color bikes anyway.

vaxn8r
02-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, it's not exactly all black like you wanted, but what do you think about this DA crankset?

Big Dan
02-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Sure Climb..get that one and rattle can the rest black.....nice :bike:

terry b
02-20-2005, 07:42 PM
hey, can i get my thread back? :rolleyes: does anyone make a black chain or black gear sprockets?

and i agree, on the right color of frame, all silver rocks.

Wippermann makes a black chain.

http://www.trisports.com/wico908ch.html

TA makes colored cassettes, but my experience (I have a red one) is that don't shift worth a damn.

Wayne77
02-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, it's not exactly all black like you wanted, but what do you think about this DA crankset?

I've never liked the "battle axe-runaway tablesaw blade" look of the the new DA10 crank but that one looks very nice. The black breaks up the sharp instrument-of-death look.

If you can get your hands on that crank and find some black anodized chainrings, that would be a great addition to your stealth look.

Climb01742
02-20-2005, 08:15 PM
vax, that's very cool. any info beyond the photo on the black crank?

kestrel
02-20-2005, 08:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Cannondale made an all black 3.0 crit bike back about 20 years ago. The only thing not black was the decal, and it was gold.

dirtdigger88
02-20-2005, 08:50 PM

I am pretty close to all silver- my new thomson stem is expected this week- if I can believe thomson this time- when it gets here I will post pix-

Jason

vaxn8r
02-20-2005, 10:05 PM
vax, that's very cool. any info beyond the photo on the black crank?
No, I just ran across it during my search for anything bike-cool. I have no idea where to get one.

I did ride a Giant TCR last week. I know it's been hashed out here before (negatively) but it really is a good ride. Limited panache but it's super light and a very efficient power transfer. And no, I'm not in the market, just a rapd bike addict....

Bruce K
02-21-2005, 05:11 AM
FSA chainrings are black.

I haven't ever seen black cogs for a cassette, try using gooey lube and not cleaning them. :D

BK

Climb01742
02-21-2005, 06:16 AM
bruce, FSA chainrings are sorta :crap: black. the body is black, but the teeth, after the chain rubs them for awhile, return to bare, silver metal...at least mine has. which would probably happen with any "black" chains or cassettes, their black coating wearing off, revealing bare silver metal. oh, well...

bostondrunk
02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Pick up one of those old Cannondale 'Black Lightening' road bikes, from around the 1989 era..

Roy E. Munson
02-21-2005, 08:58 AM
If you want black cranks, try the PMP cranks the jerk has access too. Easily one of the nicest pieces of cycling equipment I've ever seen.

Climb01742
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
you read my mind, roy. of course given my mind, that's not hard.