PDA

View Full Version : How "custom" is a Meivici AE?

bkboom123
11-14-2009, 08:13 AM
All this talk about the Meivici AE on the forum, partnered with actually seeing a couple Demo bikes in person, have made me curious. Just how custom is the Meivici AE?

From what I understand, the reason the bikes are taking so long to produce is due to the limited "molds" they have to produce the frames. When I think of a mold I think limited shape and size, fit to that specific mold. The reason for the molds are to produce the same product day in and day out to a specific dimension. This would seem most logical to me if you were producing cookie cutter frames like Giants, Treks, Cannondale, etc....with the standard sizing.

Could someone shed some light on how these custom sizes are produced? With different angles, tube lengths and sizes depending on a serotta "fit" and all the biomechanics and ridings styles? thanks in advance!

malcolm
11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I think the molds are to produce the lugs subsequently producing the various angles etc for the tubes. To be completely custom in lugged carbon I think you need a mold for every possible angle and that seems daunting.

jlwdm
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Read the response from Ben posted by Serrota Pete in the Serotta AE Question thread that is on the first page right now. Takes a lot of molds because it is totally custom.

Jeff