PDA

View Full Version : Rust on My CSI????

Mort
02-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I have a three-year old CSI. I’ve just completely disassembled it for a thorough cleaning prior to the new riding season. I was surprised to see what appears to be rust on the seat tube – bottom four inches or so. I say “surprised” because I’ve been quite careful to leave the CSI at home whenever it’s wet. Plus, I understood that Serotta applies Frame Saver or some other preservative to its steel bikes before shipping. It also seems odd to me that the CSI would show rust after only three years of fair-weather riding when my bad-weather bike (a 7-year old steel Bianchi) has no rust whatsoever.

My questions:

1) How can I determine if it really is rust? The inside of the bottom end of the seat tube shows red/brown discoloration and rough surface. But there is no scaling and little if any rubs off on a cloth or my finger. The tub wall appears sound. The insides of the top of the seat tube, bottom bracket shell, and chain stays are gray (that is, don’t show the same discoloration). Could what I’m seeing be left-over flux from the soldering process or something like that? (This is the first time I’ve removed the bottom bracket, so I don’t know how it looked new.)
2) What should I do about it if it is rust? I can’t get at the area to adequately clean off whatever’s there. Would thorough treatment with Frame Saver at this point halt additional corrosion?
3) Should the frame go back to the factory? What could/should/would they likely do about it?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I certainly want my CSI to last a lot longer.

Larry
02-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Try a shotgun cleaning rod with patches. It would seem that it would eventually clean the crud from the seat tube.

Larry

Wayne77
02-20-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a three-year old CSI. I’ve just completely disassembled it for a thorough cleaning prior to the new riding season. I was surprised to see what appears to be rust on the seat tube – bottom four inches or so. I say “surprised” because I’ve been quite careful to leave the CSI at home whenever it’s wet. Plus, I understood that Serotta applies Frame Saver or some other preservative to its steel bikes before shipping. It also seems odd to me that the CSI would show rust after only three years of fair-weather riding when my bad-weather bike (a 7-year old steel Bianchi) has no rust whatsoever.

My questions:

1) How can I determine if it really is rust? The inside of the bottom end of the seat tube shows red/brown discoloration and rough surface. But there is no scaling and little if any rubs off on a cloth or my finger. The tub wall appears sound. The insides of the top of the seat tube, bottom bracket shell, and chain stays are gray (that is, don’t show the same discoloration). Could what I’m seeing be left-over flux from the soldering process or something like that? (This is the first time I’ve removed the bottom bracket, so I don’t know how it looked new.)
2) What should I do about it if it is rust? I can’t get at the area to adequately clean off whatever’s there. Would thorough treatment with Frame Saver at this point halt additional corrosion?
3) Should the frame go back to the factory? What could/should/would they likely do about it?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I certainly want my CSI to last a lot longer.

What kind of climate do you live in? Minor surface rust may be hard to avoid in coastal humid areas. Where I'm at (in very dry SLC, UT) I've never had a problem with rust in my early 90's steel Paramount - it has not received any framesaver treatment in the last 10 years. I've never even patched up the nicks in the paint, still no rust.

The shotgun cleaning rod idea sounds good. Or get one of those pipe cleaner wire brush thingies you get at the hardware store.

Mort
02-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I live in Virginia. So, moderately humid. But I've kept it out of the rain for the most part.

Too Tall
02-20-2005, 07:49 PM
3 yrs. old and let's assume you have not seriously abused it...yah know multiple creek crossings and left it outside (not).

The factory apparently does treat the tubes with something and even if tehy don't a bit of surface rust is not a big deal...dood it's steel. Have a good shop run a flex hone with an extension in and out briefly...shoot it with some nasty spray like CRC or (gasp) WD40 to get a good look at what damage if any was done...prolly just fine. Treat it with weigle's and THIS yr. remember to take your seatpost out after wet rides OTAY :)

bulliedawg
02-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Did you remove the BB? I shined a flashlight down my seat tube and thought I had rust developing. Then I Rremoved the BB and discovred it was actually the Frame Saver treatment that I have applied myself. It's rust-colored.

Larry
02-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Three years on your CSi......and you take good care of it !?

I bet it is Framesaver. Just makes sense.

Ozz
02-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I started are recent thread on the same topic a couple weeks ago...ya might do a search....there were some helpful responses.