PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Shamal Vs Racing zero vs DT1450

amator
11-14-2009, 02:41 AM
Friend is asking for advice on prebuilts.
...the 2010 Campy and Fulcrum have USb ceramic Bearings as standard.

I have experienece with older Campy (SS steel spoked eurus and neutron) wheels and know they are smooth rolling cup and cone,comfortable yet strong. Im not sure whther fulcrum zeroes are the same.

No experience with DT hubs/wheels Vs campy.

Ray
11-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Can't tell you much about the new DTs but I can confirm that the Shamal and Racing Zero are essentially the same wheels. The Zeros have red spokes and the triple "sets" of spokes are more subtle on Fulcrums than on Campy, but they're functionally the same wheel. I have the '09 Racing Zero and, yeah, they're nice wheels.

-Ray

oldpotatoe
11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Friend is asking for advice on prebuilts.
...the 2010 Campy and Fulcrum have USb ceramic Bearings as standard.

I have experienece with older Campy (SS steel spoked eurus and neutron) wheels and know they are smooth rolling cup and cone,comfortable yet strong. Im not sure whther fulcrum zeroes are the same.

No experience with DT hubs/wheels Vs campy.

Or DT hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims(rear off center drilling), DT spokes, made well. Same weight(or less), less $.

Lionel
11-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Can't comment on DT prebuilt. As for Shamal Ultra, I have a set. Pretty sold wheelset, quite nice in fact. Campy builds very nice wheels.

At full retail I find them way too expensive though. I got mine on sale at around $650 new. I would not pay $1K+.

Honey
11-14-2009, 09:19 AM
campy and fulcrum very similar, dt (unless you're sub 160# or 210+) are different. dt1450 more of a climber, 1850 more of a TT/sprint wheel. all aren't bad, dt's have much easier serviceability. unless you're rushing to get them this week I'd do handbuilts over dts just for tunability (unless you want the 1850s in white). if you want a stiffer rear wheel you could 20/28 or something to that effect.