PDA

View Full Version : Bikes, Flying and Chain Oil/Lube

93legendti
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I recall ordering chain lube and being informed by the seller that the lube had to go by ground, rather than air.

If my memory is correct, are there chain lubes I can safely put in my travel bike's case?

Thanks.

paczki
11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I've flown with Prolink in my travel case a number of times and never had the slightest problem.

Steve in SLO
11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Oils or wax-based products should be OK. Anything volatile (evaporates on application) probably isn't. Pro-Link has mineral spirits in it, IIRC, so it might not be the *safest* but what they don't catch probably won't do any harm. I travel with Pro-Link in a small container and I've never had it refused.

93legendti
11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not worried about the lube being confiscated. Performance would only ship a lube I purchased by ground transportation (I can't recall which lube it was). My guess is there were concerns vis a vis flight safety re this lube.

Steve in SLO
11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm not worried about the lube being confiscated. Performance would only ship a lube I purchased by ground transportation (I can't recall which lube it was). My guess is there were concerns vis a vis flight safety re this lube.

There are lists of items which are considered dangerous to ship by air, so are prohibited from being shipped this way. Many of the materials are truly dangerous, others less so. That being said, any retail seller discovered shipping these items by air would be subject to hefty fines, and could lose favorable contracts with shippers.
To answer your original question, IMHO yes, most non-aerosol lubes would be safe in small containers. Legal is another question.

rugbysecondrow
11-14-2009, 06:38 AM
You could always keep it under 3 ounces and put it in you zip lock/carry-on bag so long as it isn't legitimatly dangerous. My bottle of Prolink doesn't have a warning about it being flamable or combustable

Ahneida Ride
11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
google "happy chain"

I'll bet this stuff is safe to ship.

93legendti
11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the good tips.

http://happychain.net/success.htm

Ti Designs
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Industry regulations...

I buy a lot of cutting tools for my machine shop. These cutting tools often have a coating which allows the tool to do it's job better. TiN coated HSS cutters are often used to machine titanium for example. I have found coated taps which do a far better job in harder materials. This coating goes along with a materials data sheet that's 16 pages long. Do I care? no. Do I plan on eating them or dumping them in the ground water? No. They are simply required to have this data sheet. My tax dollars at work making what I buy more expensive.

mandasol
11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
google "happy chain"

I'll bet this stuff is safe to ship.

I google'd "happy chain" and came upon this:
http://utahmtb.com/2009/09/18/the-chain-lube-secret-you-wont-believe/