PDA

View Full Version : underwear and spandex = no...

Dekonick
11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
but I gotta ask...

for you runners out there...

the 'running' shorts I have seen all have what looks like a bathing suit liner... and it seems to me that a bathing suit doesn't require undies... so do runners wear something underneath or do they go commando? Commando seems to me that it would leave a lot of room for unwanted motion...

at present I use old school gym shorts as thats what I have... but looking to get a pair or 2 of proper running shorts...

keevon
11-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I always wore underwear with running shorts, whether running track/cross-country in high school or marathons in college. Avoid the flop.

rugbysecondrow
11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
No undees my man...I hate doing extra laundry. Maybe I don't run fast enough for the flop, but it is only an issue when doing Jump-Rope...I realized that while jumping in front of the mirror the other day.

Dekonick
11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
so - one vote for, one against...

Don49
11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Jock strap, no undies.

dsimon
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
ooooooo just go Camando

regularguy412
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I haven't been a runner in a long time. But all the running shorts I used had a sewn-in brief -- very comfy. I've also used just regular spandex compression shorts for running. The ones that are similar to cycling shorts, but without the pad.

Mike in AR:beer:

tkbike
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I always wear EMS Techwick boxer briefs under running shorts, keeps you dry,comfy and no wiggle!

WadePatton
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
underwear is for pants you're going to wear twice w/o washing.

and flop.

let your taste decide.

paczki
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Underwear under running shorts is like wearing bibs over your jersey.
Don't do it. :no:

Steve in SLO
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you want a foot-long scrotum when you're 70?
Then decide.

thwart
11-13-2009, 06:06 AM
As long as the surrounding equipment is matching size, sure.... might make you very popular in the senior housing project. ;)

Seriously, as a recovering runner I can never remember wearing underwear or a jockstrap under lined running shorts.

Hawker
11-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I haven't been a runner in a long time. But all the running shorts I used had a sewn-in brief -- very comfy. I've also used just regular spandex compression shorts for running. The ones that are similar to cycling shorts, but without the pad.

Mike in AR:beer:

Yep, that's the way it was when I was running in the 70s and 80s.

jblande
11-13-2009, 07:22 AM
I wear the Under Armor boxer briefs (shorter length legs) with my running shorts. Perfect in every way. The shorts don't get caught and everything remains where it should. After buying a one or two pairs, I went ahead and switched over. Now I only wear Under Armor boxer briefs when I work out in the gym as well. Highly Recommend.

Ozz
11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
...Now I only wear Under Armor boxer briefs when I work out in the gym as well. Highly Recommend.
+1

Steve in SLO
11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
As long as the surrounding equipment is matching size, sure.... might make you very popular in the senior housing project. ;)

Seriously, as a recovering runner I can never remember wearing underwear or a jockstrap under lined running shorts.

Agreed. I realized after my post we were talking about LINED shorts-Duh!
I also ran too many miles in lined shorts and never wore underwear, which would have bunched up and not breathed well. When I was in medical school, I did physicals on lots of vets in the 60-80 year old range...if there's a chance going commando too often leads to hanging halfway to your knees..well, that look just wasn't for me.

Karin Kirk
11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
wow... who knew this thread would be so colorful?
:)

Pete Serotta
11-13-2009, 09:44 AM
:) :)

sc53
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblande
...Now I only wear Under Armor boxer briefs when I work out in the gym as well. Highly Recommend.

Thank you! Too many guys lying on the weight bench, legs akimbo, loose baggy gym shorts, commando....GROSS~!

From a female gym user.

Steve in SLO
11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Really, it never stood a chance ;)

Jim Braley
11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Liners in running shorts provide all the protection etc that you need trust me. There is an incereasing trend toward using compresiioon shorts which is fine and does help with circulation etc but for the average runner the liner in all running shorts is plenty.