PDA

View Full Version : OT Youth Soccer

rwsaunders
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I am fortunate to have coached his group of 7th/8th graders for the past few seasons, some since they were 5 years old. This particular team went from a rag tag group of kids last Spring, who were 1-7, to undefeated section champs, with 3 goals against for the Fall season. Their work ethic, pride and enthusiasm became contagious throughout their school, and really struck a soft spot with myself and the other coach.

No yelling, no screaming, no benching...only words of encouragement and solid practice sessions, focused on team skills and endurance. They literally wore their opponents down all season, and they did it with good sportsmanship. I couldn't be prouder and I can only hope that something like this group comes along again in my tenure.

clunk
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Congratulations RDub. Having coached youth soccer myself, I know how significant such an accomplishment is. You have taught those kids something very valuable.

gomango
11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work. I drive a u14 Premiere and a u11 c2 player 4-6 times a week, more when winter training gets going. I have also coached five years, although the kids have improved beyond my ability to coach them.

dogdriver
11-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Good on you.

Google "Last of the Metrozoids", just a New Yorker article a few years ago, but one of the best primers on coaching/instruction ever.

My favorite passage:

"It is said sometimes that the great teachers and mentors, the rabbis and gurus,
achieve their ends by inducting the disciple into a kind on secret circle of knowledge and
belief, make of their charisma a kind of gift. The more I think about it, though, the more I
suspect that the best teachers—and, for that matter, the truly long‐term winning coaches,
the Walshes and Woodens and Weavers—do something else. They don’t mystify the work and
offer themselves as a model of rabbinical authority, a practice that nearly always lapses into
a history of acolytes and excommunications. The real teachers and coaches may offer a
charismatic model—they may have to—but then they insist that all the magic they have to
offer is a commitment to repetition and perseverance. The great oracles may enthrall, but
the really great teachers demystify. They make particle physics into a series of diagrams
that anyone can follow, football into a series of steps that anyone can master, and art into a
series of slides that anyone can see. A guru gives us himself and then his system; a teacher
gives us his subject, and then ourselves…."

Wish I could write stuff like this...

Louis
11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Neat story !!!

Louis
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
They don’t mystify the work and offer themselves as a model of rabbinical authority, a practice that nearly always lapses into a history of acolytes and excommunications.

Hmmmm, why does this sound so familiar around here? :p

TAW
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Congratulations on a successful season. I coach a high school team, and the greatest thing is watching a team play with dignity towards themselves, their opponents and officials whether winning or losing. Good job!