PDA

View Full Version : Lung Burn

rockdude
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a condition of my lungs burning and terrible coughing for days after I bike race. I don't get it from hard training rides, only when I go all out such as a race. Also, I never got it when I was a runner. The issue I am concerned about is that the coughing sometimes last for 5 or 6 days.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Or know how to prevent it? or know how to treat it?

Couch!!!

Cough!!!!

joelh
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I am NOT a doctor, so this may have no validity, but here goes. I have been having problems breathing and coughing when riding for about a year. I mentioned it to my doc during my last visit and he thinks it exercise induces asthma. He gave me a prescription for an inhaler and said to use it 30 min prior to riding. I have used it 2 or 3 times and can tell a difference.

It may be worth asking about the next time you visit your doc.

WayneJ
11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I usually get "the burn" along with a nagging cough, but it only lasts for an hour or so.

CaptStash
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I am NOT a doctor, so this may have no validity, but here goes. I have been having problems breathing and coughing when riding for about a year. I mentioned it to my doc during my last visit and he thinks it exercise induces asthma. He gave me a prescription for an inhaler and said to use it 30 min prior to riding. I have used it 2 or 3 times and can tell a difference.

It may be worth asking about the next time you visit your doc.

X2

Sure sounds like exercise induced asthma to me. Very treatable with albuterol without side effects. Don't wait, go see the doctor. You may be unnecessarily hindering yourself without knowing it. You would be amazed at the difference a little additional O2 makes!

Good luck,

CaptStash....

stephenmarklay
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
yep go to the DR.

gasman
11-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Exercise induced asthma is more common than people realize. Part of the problem, especially in athletes is that they may not get bronchospasm (asthma) until they reach 90% + of their aerobic limit. Go to a doc who will work with you.
They may just give you an inhaler to try before racing.
I get exercise induced asthma but only have symptoms if I am cranking hard. If I go on a recovery ride I don't use an inhaler.

oldguy00
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
A long shot, but also make sure you aren't suffering from acid reflux...

rockdude
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The funny thing about this issue, is I don't cough or wheeze during the race, only after. Two to three days of coughing is normal and on dusty races the issue extend out to like 5 days plus. I am 45 years old and have been pushing my VO2 max almost every week of my life since I was 12 and have never had this type of problem. I did have pneumonia at about 13 that left me with a lot of scare tissue on my lungs. So my lungs have always been my aerobic weekness.

The cough is a dry, scratchy cough with no noticable wheezing or constriction. I guess I do need to see the old Doc...

gdw
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
If it's recent, it could have been caused by our colder weather combined with polution from the California fires.

rockdude
11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
If it's recent, it could have been caused by our colder weather combined with polution from the California fires.

It started when I started racing bikes this summer. I thought it was from all the dust at the MTB Short Track races but now we are in Cross season and many of the races are not dusty and I still have the problem after the races.

BobbyJones
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
A few years ago I found something similar happening during cold weather running races to me.

You described it pretty well "dry, scratchy cough with no noticable wheezing or constriction." I'd describe it as superficial, with no other effects besides the cough itself along with a mild throat irritation.

I started running with a cough drop in my mouth - problem solved,