PDA

View Full Version : Marcelo Redux

TimD
02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Since December 15th it sat quietly in a closet at work, just a bit of dust collecting on the ink of the paint, while the Legend, the "adventure bike", and most recently the new-to-us Cannondale tandem pounded around through the snow, slush, salt, and mud of this particularly miserable New England winter.

The Legend, in particular, had taken a beating. After a ride from work on Tuesday it looked like the inside of a newly-sprayed gunite pool. With a careful brush and wipe while on a conference call she was renewed.

Yesterday one had to come home for the weekend. The "adventure bike" stood ready if - or when - more snow fell. But rain, sun, and warm air had cleared much of the snow. With the temperature back in the high 20s the road was largely dry, if sandy, creating new opportunities.

I had dismembered the Peg in a winter once-over. Cranks off, check BB, new big ring, new chain, clean and lube the seatpost, new cassette ready to go, proper torque on the stem clamp bolts, a bit of touch-up with a Testor's enamel marker.

Lunchtime arrived in a rush and it was time to ride. Adventure bike or reassemble the Peg? Hmmm....

Thirty minutes later I clip in. At thirty minutes and thirty seconds I reawaken to the back end. How quickly the Marcelo reminds me the rear is stout, way more stout, than I am. The waxy new D-A chain moves to the big ring in a whisper. The handling is 911-esque, a fine compliment to the Legend's 928 GT.

Had it not been 25 F and blowing NW at 15-20 I might still be out there :)

TimD

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 07:24 AM
the marcelo is sweet, isn't it? a legend ti and steel marcelo...an awesome ying/yang. it's a big part of the fun of frames...savoring their unique, distinctive personalities. cold but clear this weekend...which will it be, tim? :beer:

dave thompson
02-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I too am awaiting the weather so I can take my Marcelo out on a long 'shakedown cruise'. I'm anxious and antsy, and today travelling to the Seattle Bike show to look for bike tours in Europe.

TimD
02-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Climb, it is looking pretty nice out, isn't it? Blue sky, 20 F, wind NW at 11 - it doesn't get much better than this! :cool:

My son wants to debut on the tandem, so it it will be that or the Peg - the Legend it back in the closet at work.

See you out there! :)

TimD

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 11:06 AM
tim, was just out from 10 am to noon and saw zero other riders. hey, where is everyone? do only lunatics go out when wind chill is in the single digits? :crap: it was a bit nippy, but hey, even the coldest outdoor ride beat an indoor ride by a mile. but roads were clear and dry, plus the shoulders were snow-free, so it felt a lot safer. take care, climb.

davids
02-19-2005, 12:59 PM
tim, was just out from 10 am to noon and saw zero other riders. hey, where is everyone? do only lunatics go out when wind chill is in the single digits? :crap: it was a bit nippy, but hey, even the coldest outdoor ride beat an indoor ride by a mile. but roads were clear and dry, plus the shoulders were snow-free, so it felt a lot safer. take care, climb.
Only lunatics ride on the road when it's this cold! ;) I spent the morning on my mountian bike, out for the first time since MLK weekend! Sooooooooo much better than the trainer! I had a blast, especially with the added challenge of negotiating snow and ice on about half the ride. I saw a few other riders, and a guy walking his dog...