PDA

View Full Version : Chris King Road frames?

Jeff N.
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I've heard strong rumors that CK is in the frame-making business now. The moniker is called "Cielo". Anybody got info? Jeff N.

malcolm
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I think one of the sycip guys is the actual builder.

Steve in SLO
11-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Chris King was building Cielo frames in the 70s. They were nice. I think his headset business got him out of the framebuilding business by it's big demand.

Charles M
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Chris King are a cycling icon. King’s head sets and hubs are some of those instantly recognizable pieces of equipment that people just don’t question as relates to quality and durability.

The next step see’s Chris King getting into bicycles.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/nahbs/nab2ck1.jpg

They’ll come in a couple flavors for the road. A more modest version…

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/nahbs/nab2ck3.jpg

And a version hand built by the man himself, featuring hand shaped Henry lugs and a few other bits that CK can take care of himself…

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/nahbs/nab2ck5.jpg

After all, they do a fair job of machining in their “day” jobs…

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/nahbs/nab2ck6.jpg

Not everyone knows the history but Chris King’s not new to frames, so this will be fun to watch as the bikes will very likely take on some running changes and looks…

Posted last year on PEZ after NAHBS

rnhood
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Those are some super nice looking bikes. Given their reputation for quality there is little doubt that these will be top tier machines.

dogdriver
11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
One would imagine that Mr. CK can twist up a pretty spiffy frame. The only one I've ever seen with my own eyeballs was a freakin' work of art-- it may have been the white/silver one pictured above. It was in the terminal at the Portland airport in a display featuring local businesses. Alas, as it was behind plexiglass, I was unable to touch, ride, or steal it, but the dark side of my mind was attempting to find a way. I had to settle for a Velvet Hammer from Coffee People (their twist on a mocha-- made with Mexican cinnamon chocolate, but I digress...) and go back to work, empty handed but for the espresso-based libation...

aosty
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
The CNC machined (instead of cast) frame and fork bits are very cool... !

frannek
11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
There is info on the King website, http://cielo.chrisking.com/

I rode one of the road bikes at Interbike and was super impressed with the smooth ride. I want one of the 29ers something fierce. A few have been built so far for employees.

eddief
11-05-2009, 08:54 PM
so if a King headset sells for $125 and it weighs 100 grams.

and a frameset weighs about 5 lbs. = 2265 grams

2265/100 = 22.65 headsets

22.65 headsets x $125 = @ $3000 for a frameset?!

wish the world series wasn't over.

BengeBoy
11-06-2009, 01:43 AM
I saw the Cielo bikes at the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show last weekend. Very nice. The model I liked was a "club racer" with clearance for 25c tires with fenders, or 28c tires w/no fenders. Very versatile frame.

Interesting thing is they price the bike as a frameset or a frameset with "modules." The "modules" include other Chris King products like headset, wheelset, bottom bracket.

DonH
11-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I saw the Cielo bikes at the Providence Interbike Expo. Didnt have time to ride one, but they sure looked nice. The display road bikes were painted black and had blue King bb,headset and hubs - a nice color combination IMO.

Joellogicman
11-06-2009, 07:54 AM
I think one of the sycip guys is the actual builder.

From my discussion with Jeremy Sycip at this years NAHBS, Jay Sycip now works with King, and I believe manages the King program. Jay never built Sycip frames, and is not building the King frames. Jeremy Sycip has been and remains the Sycip frame builder.

I imagine the Cielo frames are nice. Given the limited production they will no doubt sell at a premium.

rockdude
11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Forget the frames, where is my campy hub? :mad:

malcolm
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
From my discussion with Jeremy Sycip at this years NAHBS, Jay Sycip now works with King, and I believe manages the King program. Jay never built Sycip frames, and is not building the King frames. Jeremy Sycip has been and remains the Sycip frame builder.

I imagine the Cielo frames are nice. Given the limited production they will no doubt sell at a premium.

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected, seemed to recall reading that sycip was building them. At least sycip is involved so I don't have to be completely delusional.

Wanker
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Spoke with CK and a long time employee (forgot his name) at their CK booth during Cycle Oregon while eyeing CK's personal brown bike and a white one, both of which CK built with his hands, and they said the price for the same CK hand built bike would be over $10k and one would need to be very patient on the delivery date. They were quite fetching, though (the bikes, not the dudes!). wank

soulspinner
11-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Forget the frames, where is my campy hub? :mad:

Ahhhh, yeah and my bottom bracket. Aint holdin my breath........