PDA

View Full Version : Parlee Z2 vs C50

flyingscot
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
You know you love these posts on a Fri afternoon!
Pls help me do even less work at the office

And I know that the replies (hopefully) provided are not the basis of a purchase decision as significant as this, so pls feel free to comment away

Simple enough question folks:

In the UK Parlees are rare, C50’s are semi common (esp round London!)

I could get a Z2 a bit cheaper than a c50, but the price differential is much less than in the US
But price is not a key issue

Both stock sizes would fit well - so no need for a custom Z1
I would go for nude carbon (so no need for fancy paint jobs)

So forget price, colour and sizing as the key divisors!!!!!!!!

It is all about the ride !

As an all round riding experience what do we go for: the young upstart or the old classic??

The bikes would be used for 6 hr + cyclosportives such as Marmotte, Tour of Flanders

Comments by those who have owned/ridden both will get a gold star !

Bruce K
02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
This won't be a huge amount of help but...

I have spent 3 rides on a Parlee totaling about 80 miles and 1 ride on a Colnago representing a little less than 1/2 that.

I LOVED the Parlee. The Colnago was nice, but everything about the Parlee was just a little bit more fun.

I am also not a huge fan of the Colnago paint schemes. I like clear coated carbon.

Not much help, I know, but it's a start.

BK

OldDog
02-18-2005, 01:25 PM
How about a Hampsten Tour de Suisse, which is a Parlee Z2 in Hampston dress? Parlee ride with a Andy Hamspten old school pedigree....and in th UK maybe a bit more elusive than the Parlee brand.

madbiker
02-18-2005, 01:54 PM
If price and warranty aren't an issue, I'd have to go with the Colnago. They are both gonna ride great. But the colnago's just look sooo nice!

Blastinbob
02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Buy American, we need the $$$'s.

LegendRider
02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
The trade deficit is out of control - buy the Parlee!!!

wheelworks
02-18-2005, 04:02 PM
FYI...the Parlee Z3 is a custom option. For same price why not have the bike custom made.

rspecker
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
It's more unique.

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 06:12 AM
i went through the same choice you're facing. rode both the c50 and the parlee. for me, the parlee was the hands down winner. again, for me, it wasn't even close. the parlee had everything: smooth, loads of snap, absolutely zero dead wood feeling, climbed like crazy, and was very light. had a great balance of just enough stiffness to accelerate very well, but just enough flex to move with me, not against me. i went the hampsten route...to avail myself of the brainpower of both steve and the folks at parlee (both of whom, by the way, couldn't be nicer.) and i went hampsten so i could tweak the graphics. the nude carbon on a parlee is amazingly beautiful, IMO. flyingscott, get a parlee and change your handle to...the incredibly flyingscott!!!!

Redturbo
02-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I thought Parlee did a satin finish, not a true nude carbon like Calfee.

turbo

oh ya, gettem both :D

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 07:28 AM
sorry, i was unclear...i meant nude in the sense of no paint. i spent 8 hours on planes yesterday, doing a one-day down and back to plano, texas yesterday. cogent i ain't this morning. :rolleyes:

1centaur
02-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Climb:

Since a Parlee is on my maybe list post bonus, could you clarify on the "tweak the graphics" rationale of Hampsten vs. direct with Parlee? Is there some reason why tweaking the graphics is tough with Parlee, or did you like having the Hampsten name and wart hog (sorry, boar :) rather than the Parlee name.

I ask because I don't want the wart hog but I don't love the Parlee decals for the paint scheme I have in mind.

Thank you.

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 08:44 AM
1centaur, i almost feel silly admitting it, but i will. graphics matter a lot to me. the parlee logo just doesn't float my boat. but then neither does the hampsten name logo. but for some reason, the hampsten wild boar does, so the only decals on my frame (except for the damn fork decals :crap: ) are two discreet boars (if a boar can be discreet :rolleyes: ). but i'm sure the parlee folks would work with you, too. they seemed great when i talked with them. go for it, dude!

CPP
02-20-2005, 04:47 AM
I always rode C40's and while still owning a C40, got a Parlee. After 3 rides on the Parlee, I sold the C40. The Parlee did everything better. The balance of the bike was phenominal. I can't say enough good things about the frame.
P.S. I never rode a C50
You won't be dissapointed with the Parlee
CP

flyingscot
02-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Gentlemen

Many thx for all your comments
On the surface it should be a no brainer - given that the c50 is probably the most famous race bike in the world and would be many peoples dream bike.

But EVERYONE who has ridden a parlee seems to rave about them
I also fancy the idea of dealing with such a small, boutique firm

Decisions :crap: :)

climb - the nude carbon with minimal graphics sounds great - photos are required !!!

CPP
02-21-2005, 03:28 AM
I was drawn to Parlee when I saw that Halmiton rode one in the Giro. But what really convinced me to go with Parlee was the fact that I could get a custom, handmade carbon frame and I could talk directly to the guy that was building that frame. I attended the bike show in Milan. What hit me, was a general banalization (is that a word?) of carbon frames. I passed a Taiwanese vendor's stand at Milan, and hanging on a peg on his wall was a decal free carbon frame. It looked to be the same frame that I had been seeing all day, only without branding. Banal.
Working with Parlee was great.
Just my opinion
CP

jeffg
02-21-2005, 03:47 AM
but I think a Parlee (or Hampsten) is a no-brainer. Great ride, balanced geometry, details like the Ti dropouts, etc. that make it a wonderful bike. What size will you be riding? I have ridden a Z1 on cyclosportives that are very long (200 miles a 16000+ feet of climbing), and will be riding one during this year's Dolomite Marathon (no unlit tunnels at speed and not as many crazy Dutch as the Marmotte) ... :banana: :banana:

flyingscot
02-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Jeff
I am looking at a 57cm Z2
Tell me more about this Dolomite race – I take it is one of the Granfondos?

So far I plan to go to Belgium, the Pyrennes and the Alps this yr

But the girlfriend has always been keen on Italy – maybe I could fit a race in as well :D

jeffg
02-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Jeff
I am looking at a 57cm Z2
Tell me more about this Dolomite race – I take it is one of the Granfondos?

So far I plan to go to Belgium, the Pyrennes and the Alps this yr

But the girlfriend has always been keen on Italy – maybe I could fit a race in as well :D

Yes, it is one of the granfondos, and the best one IMHO. The long course is a gem, and the organization is flawless.

www.maratona.it

As for the bike, is it a 57cm C-C? I would try something with a 74 HTA and 4 rake before committing to it. A 57cm C-T Z2 would work for me, but honestly I have a 73.5 HTA 4.3 rake with a 57cm TT on my Z1. It's still quick but more of a classic stage race geometry, which is perfect for screaming down the Pordoi or Giau!

flyingscot
02-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Jeff
Many thx for the advice

I have realised that 6 months ago I put my name down the the maratona on the advice of a friend
However I believe there is a lottery system – and it looks like I did not get in

We may do the Granfondo Pinarello instead – he sells Pinarellos at his LBS and 4 years ago when he did it he got to have lunch with Indurian
Maybe I could threaten old Miguel with a TT challenge?

On the Parlee geometry – you raise interesting points
I did look at the geo tables on the Parlee website very closely

I was curious why they went with a 74 on the stock bike in a 57 c-c?

The bikes I currently have are all 73 – 73.5 with 43 rake

To be honest I have no idea how a Z2 would ride vs a Z1 with a more traditional geo (like yours)
Do you have any info from the boys at Parlee?

If the stock geo is too twitchy for the sort of racing we both like, then it may be a deal breaker

At this level of quality I believe that size and geo is everything
The C50 certainly appears to have the more classic stage racing geometry than the Z2

Is this why the vast majority of people seem to have the Z1 vs the Z2/3 – despite its increased cost ?

Climb01742
02-21-2005, 06:24 AM
another difference between Z1 and Z2 are the seatstays. Z1 has separate seatstays, while Z2 uses a wishbone design, the wishbone being less expensive to make. flyscot, i'd talk -- or e-mail -- to either parlee or hampsten directly before you decide. both are very helpful and will speak with you, happily, for however long you wish to answer your questions. i know it's only one person's opinion, but the parlee, for me, far far surpassed the c50. and its a frame you'd keep for a long long time, perhaps mitigating its price?

jeffg
02-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Jeff
Many thx for the advice

I have realised that 6 months ago I put my name down the the maratona on the advice of a friend
However I believe there is a lottery system – and it looks like I did not get in

We may do the Granfondo Pinarello instead – he sells Pinarellos at his LBS and 4 years ago when he did it he got to have lunch with Indurian
Maybe I could threaten old Miguel with a TT challenge?

On the Parlee geometry – you raise interesting points
I did look at the geo tables on the Parlee website very closely

I was curious why they went with a 74 on the stock bike in a 57 c-c?

The bikes I currently have are all 73 – 73.5 with 43 rake

To be honest I have no idea how a Z2 would ride vs a Z1 with a more traditional geo (like yours)
Do you have any info from the boys at Parlee?

If the stock geo is too twitchy for the sort of racing we both like, then it may be a deal breaker

At this level of quality I believe that size and geo is everything
The C50 certainly appears to have the more classic stage racing geometry than the Z2

Is this why the vast majority of people seem to have the Z1 vs the Z2/3 – despite its increased cost ?

Parlee geos are like Seven's. At some point they ratchet up to a 74 HTA, though I am not sure why. That doesn't effect me since I would ride a slightly smaller size. I would get the 55 with the 56 TT and use a 12cm stem. That might not work for you. I got a Z1 since the Z2 did not exist when I bought mine ...

Colnago's geos are also a bit strange, IMHO.
You might want to check out a Look 585 if you want carbon. But I would definitively talk to Steve Hampsten first.

If fit and handling are paramount, get something like a Serotta or a Pegoretti.

As for longevity, if you want a bike you can ride forevever, get a Legend! ;) That has been my bike of choice on most DC's and my first Dolomite Marathon in 2002.

flyingscot
02-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Jeff,

If you don't mind could you tell me what your critical measurements are (ie saddle tip to bars, saddle to BB), and what customisation you had done on your frame?

Many thx

vaxn8r
02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Colnago has a 1 year warranty and it's a hassle to deal with if you do need it. Just sayin...

mikemets
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
my c50 is due in about 3 weeks, can't wait! :D

Will be the 3rd bike in my modest stable:
Calfee Luna Pro
Serotta CIII

jerk
02-21-2005, 08:02 PM
both bikes are fine. the jerk couldn't love his c50 more, but it ain't for evryone. it's fast, stiff and a real race bike.....the jerk wouldn't put everyone on one but if you want a race bike and feel the need to deny your children a private college education or really need to mortgage something, you won't be disappointed. the bike handles perfectly, has more "snap" than anything the jerk has ridden and exhibits a solid feel when pushing along in the saddle....it confidently descends, it corners hard and it climbs well. the jerk couldn't ask for more and for him the bike has no flaws.....it definatly isn't something the jerk can come any where near to over-powering and the balance of the bike is perfect especially when it's being pushed....one thing though. it's a stiff, fast bike that probably won't wow a rider who just wants to cruise around...from what the jerk hears, smaller less powerful riders will often prefer something they feel has more "spring".....
parlee: the jerk bets that parlee could build a bike that is phenomonally close in ride quality to the c50, they seem to get carbon fiber....as for warranty this lifetime warranty thing is sort of a joke.....colnago's got a five year warranty and if a manufacturer's defect doesn't manifest itself in that time it isn't a manufacturer's defect.....parlee does offer alot of bike for the money and they are some of the best looking bikes the jerk has ever seen. people who have'em seem to love them and by looking at the geometry charts the jerk thinks the bikes are going to ride great. bear in mind, the jerk has never ridden one but he'd like too! its really the only domestic carbon bike the jerk has any real curiosity about.
jerk

vaxn8r
02-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Jerk,

has the warranty changed on Nago's? It used to be just a year. I agree, if it's 5 years....you're gonna have a new bike anyway by then :)

flyingscot
02-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Thx Jerk
I was waiting for your defence of the C50
I agree they are the benchmark carbon frame in the peloton
But as yours was custom – maybe you got a special one !