PDA

View Full Version : Hey, my LA brethren...

Kevan
02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
it seems my lot that I should be in the town of tinsel for next weekend, the 26th and 27th. Now I can't as yet commit my availability for cycling/meeting time, there is work to be done afterall, but would any of yous'ns be interested in loaning a 60ish and riding with this bloke if the timing was right? :D

Sandy
02-18-2005, 09:28 AM
The first time in LA in which all the streets will be clear and quiet and window shades will be down, the lights will be off, and all doors will be double or triple locked! :rolleyes:

Mayor of LA

mad_mark
02-18-2005, 09:29 AM
But if it's raining like today/tomorrow/Sunday......, better some :beer: (but none for me, just water or coffee). Before you guys in the NE and NW laugh, road slips and land slides make it crazy out there, let alone the hydroplaning SUV's. Better to ride tomorrow, then break a collar bone today. :no:

Mark.

Sandy
02-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Mad Mark- you must be mad to ride with Kevan! :)

Sane Sandy

weisan
02-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Mayor of LA
:no: Only words that start with "S"...try again

Sandy
02-18-2005, 09:56 AM
So Sad So Seriously Significantly Sorry!! :) :)

Suave Sexy Sophisticated Serotta Sandy Seen Smiling Spinning Spectacular Superior Scintillating Stable Smooth Solid Supersonic Speedy Serotta

Kevan
02-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Silly Sandy. :D

Sandy
02-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Maybe-

Stalking Sandy :)

Blastinbob
02-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Kevan, Jack Brunk and I are planning on a ride on the 26th from Jack's house, I think Mavic1010 may be riding as well. I'm still waiting for a response from Tom. We really need to get as many riders as possible, there is a big non-native lion or tiger, leaving 7" footprints, roaming the hills near Jack's home and I don't want to be the slowest rider. :D I'm sure somebody can find a bike for the big guy.

Bob

Sandy
02-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I think I got away from your original post. Sorry.

mavic1010
02-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Let us know which city you will be in and maybe we can the so cal group together for a ride.

Sandy
02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I for one, hope the slowest is Kevan! :) :D

Tony the Tiger :rolleyes:

Kevan
02-18-2005, 10:28 AM
F' giddabowdit!!!

I'll be holding up in the downtown Checker Hilton. Hey, a step up for me... they have their own sheets and daily rates too! I won't have a car initially, but certainly can arrange to pickup one. :D

Blastinbob
02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Kurt or SoCalSteve are both big guys and you'll be kinda in their neighborhood ?

slowgoing
02-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Sorry, 54 here, plus I'm off the bike for a while with ankle problems. Have fun in the rain, though. I heard a report today that we have already had 3 x the annual amount of rain since October.

Jack Brunk
02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Kevan,

Can you ride a 58 ? I think I can get a demo bike from Sundance Cycles if a 58 will fit. As bob stated, were doing some hill work next week and it should be awesome in the Santa monica mountains. Were riding Saturday morning and it would be great if you can join us.

Jack

Tom Byrnes
02-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Hi Kevan,

I just saw this thread. Glad to hear that you will out here. We should have some decent weather by that time.

I have a bike that should fit you. I bought Andy Askren's (Forum handle: IXXI) beautiful ex-Ron Kiefel 7-11 bike:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5690&highlight=Ex-Ron+Kiefel

You should be able to ride that bike with just a few adjustments. I use X-2 Speedplays, so if you use a different pedal, bring them and we swap them. I have a pedal wrench.

Bob and Jack - I'd be delighted to join you guys wherever you want to ride. But can't we find some hills to climb (Latigo Canyon, Piuma) without being near an animal that leaves 7" footprints? If we need a large group, why not get up a little earlier and ride with the Sundance Cycles group ride?

Look forward to seeing all of ya.

Tom

Blastinbob
02-19-2005, 08:10 AM
I have a bike that should fit you. I bought Andy Askren's (Forum handle: IXXI) beautiful ex-Ron Kiefel 7-11 bike:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5690&highlight=Ex-Ron+Kiefel

You should be able to ride that bike with just a few adjustments. I use X-2 Speedplays, so if you use a different pedal, bring them and we swap them. I have a pedal wrench.

Bob and Jack - I'd be delighted to join you guys wherever you want to ride. If we need a large group, why not get up a little earlier and ride with the Sundance Cycles group ride?

Look forward to seeing all of ya.

Tom
With the nice weather expected next week and Tom's offer of the use of such a fine road machine I would be concerned about having Kevan wanting to stay longer then the 2 days he has planned. He may end up like a lost dog that won't leave once you feed him ! You should have him help you break in your brooks saddle, that may deter him.

Tom, I am up for anything that involves sweat and pain. :)

Jack Brunk
02-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Tom,

The tiger tracks are near the Simi Valley-Moorpark area which is about 20 miles or so. there won't be any problem with our route.

Jack

Kevan
02-19-2005, 03:24 PM
there are some pretty good scraps under this table.. I might just have to hang around until the NE becomes habitable again.. say May-ish sometime. I'll continue to monitor this thread and determine if the demands of my job will allow some time off for misbehavior. I'll stay in touch.

Thank you Jack and Tom for the wonderful offers. I can only say when I went to visit Sans last year I thought he might offer me his CSi, but no... instead I got to use his 3-speed. Still whooped him tho, even with the kickstand stuck in the open position.

Anyway, I'll make it a point to bring my cycling stuff. I'm assuming this weekend's weather has been... overly wet and not too rideable, but trying to keep the positive ions afloat here for next weekend, what kinda dress code would you suggest?

I'll bring my pedals and all the trimmings, but for a pump. The worst that happens, I lug the stuff back and forth. The best... I play with some pals out there. Thanks.

Blastinbob
02-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Kevan, the weather, when it's not raining, has been in the mid to low 50's early in the morning and has been warming up to the upper 60's. So you should probably wear about half of what we wear. Although Jack lives in the hills and the mornings are a little colder, weather.com says the low will be 39 deg. in his city. :fight:

Bob

Jack Brunk
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Bob,

How many feet of climbing do you want to do ? I was thinking of around 3500 feet of climbing and maybe 60-65 miles. If you want more climbing let me know.

Jack

Tom Byrnes
02-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Kevan,

If you might not have the available time or inclination (maybe too many miles or too much climbing for a Northeasterner at this time of the year) for the Saturday ride that Jack has described, there is a 30-mile ride on Sunday that we can take that is the same ride we have taken with DBRK on a few occasions when he was in L.A. We start in West Hollywood, climb Nichols Canyon and ride the rollers of Mulholland Drive and then drop down into Brentwood. Would take you away from Downtown L.A. for about 2.5 - 3.0 hours.

Or, we can ride along the bike path at the beach to Palos Verde. Maybe the scantily bikini-clad volleyball players will be out to greet ya.

Your hotel is about 15 minutes from my home. so I can pick you up if you can free up some time for a ride.

Hope you can get out for a ride.

Tom

weisan
02-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Kevan, trust me buddy, you don't want to miss any of this. I haven't got a chance to meet with Jack and Mavic the last time I was out there but I can tell you, Tom Byrnes and Uncle Bob are the nicest people you can ever meet on this planet earth, and what's more, they share with you the same passion for all things cycling-related...actually maybe more because they ride Serottas and you...a bamboo calfee. :D

weisan

Kevan
02-20-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm already sold. I'll buy a dozen!

Then it sounds like tights or knee warmers are in, so too the booties and a jacket or vest n' arm warmers. Maybe just toe warmers? Tom's right, us NE'rs ain't getting in much miles, tho the past 2 weekends were pretty good for to us with one day being a 60 miler, but with 2 day totals being around 80 miles of rolling to hilly terrain (17ish avgs). Tom and I have ridden together in the TdFL so he might be a good judge of my talents for Saturday's hill climb. I'm certainly up for any route, I just don't want to spoil anybody's party draggin' a$$. 3.5k climbing doesn't bother me unless it's all at 20%. ;)

Well, I best get out on the road now and start working. It's hovering the freezing mark, but otherwise the winds are low. I'll be back in a few...

Tom Byrnes
02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Weisan - Thank you for the kind comments. I look forward to riding with you again soon.

Kevan - I am not sure where Bob got his 39 degrees forecast. The long-term weather forecast that I saw this morning said that next Saturday will have an estimated high of 65 and a low in the mid 50's (and that's at night). However, I am not sure exactly where Jack's house is located, so it may be cooler there in the morning. But, 39 degrees?

I agree with you that knee warmers or tights and a vest/arm warmers or jacket will probably be needed. You may want to bring your toe warmers. However, I never need to use them in So Cal.

I do not know the ride and climbs that Jack is thinking of. However, I do not believe that you will have any problems with the climbing, based on what I know of your cycling skills. And with me on this ride with you, you certainly won't be spoiling everyone's party by dragging a$$.

Tom

Tom Byrnes
02-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Mavic,

Are you in for a ride next weekend?

Are you still planning on doing Solvang?

I hope is going well.

Tom

Blastinbob
02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Kevan - I am not sure where Bob got his 39 degrees forecast. The long-term weather forecast that I saw this morning said that next Saturday will have an estimated high of 65 and a low in the mid 50's (and that's at night). However, I am not sure exactly where Jack's house is located, so it may be cooler there in the morning. But, 39 degrees?

Tom
I think I may have looked up the wrong city !

Kevan
02-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I'll plan on bring warmers: Knees, arms and toes. Also a vest and jacket just so I can hem n' haw. Now about all that rain you guys are getting...

Blastinbob
02-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I'll plan on bring warmers: Knees, arms and toes. Also a vest and jacket just so I can hem n' haw. Now about all that rain you guys are getting...
Here is the correct forecast for Jack's (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USCA1144)

Jack Brunk
02-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Guys,

We can make this a nice easy pace ride. I just got back from doing mulholland hwy from PCH and the roads are in good shape and more waterfalls than i have ever seen in this area. The conditions should make for a great ride.

Jack

mavic1010
02-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I'll be in for this ride...

I'm also planning on Solvang.

As always I'm in horrific shape, but it will be nice to be with friends on a peaceful ride. Thank goodness for my compact crankset =)

My old roomie Kevan:

I hope you can make it with us on the ride. It shall be epic, granted no dead farm animals on the side of the road like TdFL!

Lets remember...65 degrees for us warrants, at least me, to bring a windvest and arm-warmers. If you are currently sub 30 degree weather, 65 degrees will feel a lot warmer than you think.

Blastinbob
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Tom, check your netscape mail, I sent you Jacks address. Sat. 8:30 am his house. Mavic, stop moaning.

Bob

Kevan
02-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm here is sunn...er, soon to be sunny LA. I promise!

It's looking good for the weekend, but I'll have a better idea in the coming days. Anyway, I've got all my stuff and am really hoping to join you guys. I'll stay in touch here.

Sandy
02-22-2005, 06:35 PM
For some reason all your guys left and are headed east, anywhere east. I wonder why. :D :D

Sandy

Kurt
02-23-2005, 10:53 AM
just caught this thread - was in nyc getting even fatter (if that's possible) other's have already made offers I am sure, but you can borrow one of my bikes if you want, legend or a cdale, I would prefer the cdale if you are not picky – its nice – new model with campy 10. I use speedplay x2’s so bring your own pedals if needed and also if you would not mind bringing your own seatpost and saddle that would be great as mine is a flight which everyone seems to hate and it’s a ***** to set up correctly with my post. Both the frames are 58’s. As far as rides go I would like to join depending on what you are thinking about – I am thinking slow climb – I have been all over the sm range and whatever you do don’t miss going up and down latigo, the descent is somewhat technical but is not steep and its just flat out a blast. A good little spin is santa monica from san Vicente and Ocean, up and down latigo and home – about 45 miles and ~ 2.5k’ of gain. A friend and guy I went to Europe with last summer has tons of info (interesting site also) weather should clear for the weekend so welcome to LA!

http://www.birthdaychallenge.com/links/notesonclimbs.html

Tom Byrnes
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Kevan - You brought the sunshine with you!! At last, the sun. I forgot what it looked like.

Let me know if you have time for lunch on Thursday or Friday. There is a grand, Zagat-rated Chinese Dim Sum restaurant (or several other types of restaurants) relatively close to your hotel. Maybe you would like to try something a little different from your Westchester County haunts.

Keep us posted about your cycling availability.

Tom

bcm119
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey, they finally got that loose tiger in Simi Valley... too bad they had to kill it.

Now you can take your pistols out of your saddle bags.

Blastinbob
02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey, they finally got that loose tiger in Simi Valley... too bad they had to kill it.

Now you can take your pistols out of your saddle bags.
Why ? It's not any safer here then it was yesterday. :no:

mikemets
02-24-2005, 07:40 AM
it seems my lot that I should be in the town of tinsel for next weekend, the 26th and 27th. Now I can't as yet commit my availability for cycling/meeting time, there is work to be done afterall, but would any of yous'ns be interested in loaning a 60ish and riding with this bloke if the timing was right? :D

Too bad you're going to miss the 6" of snow, and single digit temps coming tonight and into tomorrow ;)

Kevan
02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Can you see what you can do to have all that cleared up before my return; that would be much appreciated. Also, try to warm things up out there too, 60ish would be nice.

This shirtsleeve lifestyle out here is so much more comfortable. :D

Sandy
02-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Do you miss me??

Rosebud

Kevan
02-24-2005, 05:07 PM
not in mixed company. I'm still hoping these guys are willing to romp on the hills this weekend.

But in address to your question... yes, yes I do.

Tom, I've emailed you directly with contact points.

Tom Byrnes
02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Kevan,

I haven't received your email yet. Please send it again to: thombyrnes@comcast.net or call me at 310 729 0995.

Tom

Kevan
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I've gotten your emails and voicemail. I've tried reaching you too. I'll plan on being down in the lobby at 7am. I'd give you my room number, but then you-know-who would be up there trying to break in the door, if I gave out such info.

Ahh hell, I'll take the risk... room # 810. I'll just eat early so he doesn't think I'm ordering room service for the two of us. :D

Sandy
02-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Boy are we lucky. I have room 809 which adjoins room 810. I'll leave our shared door open, and the lights off.

Sharing Sandy

PS- The rest of us will be leaving at 6:00 AM :) :)

Tom Byrnes
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Sandy,

We have an extra bike for you to ride, if you will be joining us.

:) :) :)

Tom

Kevan
02-25-2005, 05:28 PM
yet another night of nightmares.

Tom, I won't be in the lobby...

I'll be sitting on the curb instead. Look for the homeless looking guy wearing a bike helmet.

H.Frank Beshear
02-25-2005, 08:50 PM
:D :D :beer:

Sandy
02-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Have an enjoyable and safe ride! Take it easy on Kevan.

Sandy

Tom Byrnes
02-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Sandy,

We will. Wish you were here, also.
:) :) :)

Tom

Sandy
02-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks.

It is now 3:22 in the East. I guess that makes it 12:22 in LA. I guess your group must be well into your ride or finished by now, with the exception of one rider. I just wonder who that might be. Don't worry too much. He will eventually bring the bike back. I use the word eventually in a very loose manner.

I'm still waiting for my Ottrott. He went on a test ride with it 4 months ago. I know that he is slow, but I am starting to worry a great deal- about my bike.

Sandy

Tom Byrnes
02-26-2005, 10:03 PM
This is Kevan using Tom's PC:

I hope all went well in your room last night. The adjoining door was indeed open, your room was dark, but as I stuck my head in to see what was going on in there was just the loud syncronized snoring of what I think were two men. Not wanting to awake you two I slowly and quietly went to close your door only to have it snag on an article of clothing. The door wouldn't budge. So I reached down and pull the small item free from the door and see that it was a yellow and black do-rag with a bumble bee on it.

What the hell was going on in there Sandy? Wasn't it you who said I was the only man in your life?

Anyway, I want you folks to know that we snowbelt people should all hate these bastards out here in southern California. Today's ride was absolutely terrific. I'm beat...I'm worn out... and Tom asked if I'd like to ride again tomorrow.

I've had more difficult questions to answer. :D

Jack Brunk
02-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Kevan,

It was a real pleasure meeting you and getting to ride with you. Hopefully you can make it out our way again soon.

jack

Sandy
02-27-2005, 07:38 AM
The snoring was myself and my pit bull Crunch Crunch, who I brought with me, just in case you did try to venture into my room, without the chaperone. So late at night I see a lean, bald, funny looking chap, dressed in an outrageous outfit slowly entering my room, from YOUR room. Crunch Crunch, who loves to crunch, also saw this unfortunate soul. The last thing I remember hearing was a loud growl, followed by several even louder crunch crunchs, and a desperate " Where is the Queen Bee, when I really need her."

I fell asleep, knowing that Crunch Crunch would take care of matters for me.I woke up this morning and all I could find was the do-rag. There were no bones. So I really don't know what happened to the funny looking chap.

We will have to see if the chap posts again on the forum. If not, we will simply sell his bike for a few thousand dollars and split the money evenly, as always- 85% for me, 10% for Crunch Crunch (He loves dog biscuits) , and 5% for you.

Do you still miss me, sweet pea????

Pea Brain Sandy

Sandy
02-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Are you sure it was Kevan that you met, and not his twin brother Kevin? :)

Sandy

mavic1010
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Kevan:

It was great to see you once again. You looked much better this time since you were riding a Serotta and not that other "brand". My apologies to the group for being so out of shape...I personally did not know I could suffer that much on a 65 mile ride, which was just a walk in the park for our buddy Jack B.

But most of all, I'm thankful for my buddy Blastinbob, who personally pushed me up the last few rollers, cuz frankly, I couldn't pedal anymore....

Its such a beautiful place to ride, that Jack B., I'm gonna try to ride with ya every 6-8 weeks up there...that is if you want a slowpoke...

I'll see you To.By and Ja.Br at Solvang...

Jack Brunk
02-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Mavic,

Your welcome to ride with us anytime. Just give me a heads up when you want to ride and we'll make it happen. Thanks again for coming out. Thanks also to Bob, Tom and Kevan for coming out to rida. I had a great time riding with everybody.

Jack

Kevan
02-28-2005, 01:08 PM
That was about one of the swellest dang rides I've done. Certainly the best February ride I’ve ever done. Thank you guys so much for the terrific time. I have no idea where I was, but I enjoyed every mile of it. Tom's CSI was one of the best bikes I've ridden, it was stunning both in looks and ride. Gee, I guess those Serottas really are good bikes. ;)

The weather and countryside in Jack's backyard for the weekend was just glorious. We don't have much in the way of 5 mile climbs back in the Westchester Co. area and I think it was quite apparent to these guys, we don't have those type of descents either (Um, let's just say I fell WAY… way off the back when we got to those downhill switchbacks.). Frankly, I rather enjoy viewing the countryside than becoming the countryside.

And here's to Bob and his bicycle touting truck for hauling Tom and me up north and back, thanks sir for the lift. Three serious bikes in tow; that was some serious eye candy back there.

John, thanks for coming out and playing with us, it was good seeing you again. The next time I get out here, you call the route.

I think Tom and Jack can share the details of our route better than me, I was too busy pedaling and enjoying the scenery to much care where I was or where we were going.

Sunday, Tom took me for his LaGrange club romp on Sunday morning. I was toast leaving from his driveway for that ride, but I had the best time with he and his buddies. I fell back to my hotel room a happy but broken man.

It was a weekend full of beautiful bikes. I saw Serottas, Tom’s green Vanilla and older model Sachs, Jack’s Moots, and his remarkable stable of other toys. Our lunch break was at a Serotta dealership, and yes, they did have several Serottas, but they also had Calfees too. The shop owner’s wife has a bamboo Calfee, which was my first sighting of this strange rig. Beyond that, the roads were full of cyclists on every imaginable steed. Landsharks, BMC’s, Paramount’s… fogiddaboudit… there was everything… even several Calfees.

I guess I should also take this opportunity to temper my earlier “ bastards” posting. I should have said “lucky bastards” instead. To be able to ride year round without dressing into a spacesuit for winters is just… well, unfair.

Lastly, to you folks in Serotta, who really made this possible, this forum has done wonders in bringing the best people together. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “Thank you.”

Tom Byrnes
03-02-2005, 02:07 AM
I think Tom and Jack can share the details of our route better than me, I was too busy pedaling and enjoying the scenery to much care where I was or where we were going.

SATURDAY RIDE: We had a GREAT ride on Saturday. Great in many ways: great company; great scenery; great weather.

We left Jack's house in Thousand Oaks (Ventura County)and within a few minutes were riding on a small road in a hidden little valley between his house and the Pacific Ocean. For me, a 25 year+ resident of So Cal, I had no idea that such places still existed within 75 miles of my house. I thought all such farmland had been devoured by real estate developers many years ago. It was like we had stepped back in time to the 1960's.

We took small, untraveled roads to the Pacific Ocean near Port Hueneme (sp.) and then turned south on the Pacific Coast Highway towards Malibu. We rode along the coast for several miles. Kevan stated "This sure isn't Westchester County" or something to that effect. However, he wasn't the only person with a big grin on their face as the coastline is quite dramatic in this area.

We crossed into Los Angeles County and turned off PCH onto Encinal Canyon Road. We had a long, steady five mile climb on a very lightly traveled road with stunning views of the ocean. We had a few short descents and then turned onto Mulholland Drive (anyone see David Lynch's film of this name?). We traveled past rocker Tommy Lee's fortress to the Rock Store, a watering hole usually populated with weekend Harley riders. We refilled our water bottles, Jack patiently answered several questions from a biker about his beautiful Moots and then we descended down the twisting and winding road towards the San Fernando Valley. We left Mulholland to take a detour so that we could ride along the banks of Lake Malibu.

We stopped at Sundance Cycles in Agoura, the local Serotta (and Calfee) dealer. We hoped to see some of the new Serottas. No one was disappointed. I purchased both my Ottrott and Concours from Sundance, and I assume that Jack also purchased at least a few of several of his Serottas and his Moots from Sundance, also. Ashton and Steve, the owners were there and showed us the new Nove, a new Ottrott ST with the new, different headtube badge and amazing, Moots-like welds. Ashton showed us his beautiful Masi track bike and his wife's bamboo Calfee. There are a lot of very cool bikes in that store

We had lunch nearby and started heading back to Jack's house, which was still more than twenty miles away, I think. Although we were no longer in the Santa Monica Mountains, we still had lots of rollers on the way back. I know that Kevan, Mavic and I were all getting tired and sore. I took three Advils at lunch and Kevan, who declined the Advils while we were eating, asked me for a couple soon after we started up after lunch.

Throughout the ride, Jack and BlastinBob seemed to have few problems, but kept the pace down so that we could all ride together.

On one of the last climbs back towards Jack's house, Bob dropped back a bit to ride with Mavic. By this time we had done 60+ miles and 4,000 feet of climbing. Suddenly, without saying a word, a cyclist passed Jack, Kevan and me quickly and then slowed down considerably. He turned back few times and looked at us to see if there was going to be any reaction. I was too tired to pay much attention. I think Kevan was, also. The guy slowly pulled away from us. However, even after the guy was a few hundred yards ahead of us, he continued to look back at us. Was he taunting us? Challenging us? Maybe, . . . I don't know. The climb became steeper and Jack took off after that guy. As Kevan and I plodded along, we watched Jack catch the guy before they reached the top of the climb. It was quite evident that while Kevan, Mavic and I were all quite relieved to ending our ride, Jack still had plenty of energy and strength left. But, then, he is used to 200-mile rides with 15,000 feet of climbing.

As you can see from Mavic's, Jack's and Kevan's posts, everyone had a great time.

Thank you, Jack, for hosting our ride and selecting such a beautiful route. It was great riding with you again.

BlastinBob - Thank you for driving Kevan and me and our bikes to Jack's house in your wonderful customized bike-hauling truck. Thanks for inviting me to join you and Jack and thanks for your long pulls up front on PCH.

Mavic - It's always great riding with you. Thanks for making the long trek from your house in La Mirada.

I look forward to riding with all of you again at Solvang.

SUNDAY RIDE: Kevan and I did the regular Sunday LaGrange ride up Nichols Canyon and along the rollers on another stretch of Mulholland Drive. It is the same ride that Mavic, Bob, Kurt, Donn Austin, Dr. Jon and I traveled with Douglas Brooks when we first rode with him in L.A. There were about forty cyclists in our group - smaller than usual because several of the La Grangers were racing on Sunday at a few local races.

Once we started the climb up Nichols Canyon, we quickly dropped to the back of the group as Saturday's riding was taking its toll. We rode with a friend of mine, Dean, who at 58 years of age, still continues to climb that hill with an 11-21 cassette. We met up with two other riders at the top of Sepulveda and went down the long descent together. Kevan, at fifty, was the youngster in our group. Afterwards, we stopped for coffee and a pastry and chatted with some of the other riders. As Kevan correctly remarked, "Seems like a friendly group of people".

SUMMARY: It was a wonderful weekend of riding. About 100 miles all together. Great preparation for the Solvang Century on March 12th. But, I was tired. After dropping Kevan off at his hotel on Sunday at about 12:30 p.m., I got home and had to take a nap.

Kevan - I am glad you were able to get away from your work responsibilities so that you could ride on both days. It was evident from the big smile on your face that you were enjoying yourself. It was great riding with you and I hope we get to ride again soon. Next time, bring Sandy and MikeMets.

:) :D :)

Climb01742
03-02-2005, 04:53 AM
a five mile climb...now that sounds awesome. california holds a special place in my, and i think most people's, imagination. the valley you guys rode on saturday that reminded you of what california must have been like in the '60s sounds amazing too. to have seen california before it was developed must have been to see what (pick your creator...god, mother nature, builder bob) could do on a really good day. california is a rider's paradise i think. sounds like you guys had a blast. we snow-buried new englanders are sooooooooo jealous. :rolleyes:

Sandy
03-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Great ride report. Must have been wonderful and unique rides. I am wondering how many Serottas Kevan has ordered since he returned. Actually it seems as if there was nothing but outstanding bikes and people on the ride.

Thanks for the most enjoyable report.

Sandy

Blastinbob
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I am wondering how many Serottas Kevan has ordered since he returned.
Sandy

Uh Sandy, he's still here.....he won't leave......he super glued his hands to Toms bike and he has this silly grin on his face :D :D :cool: :cool:

Tom Byrnes
03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Climb01742,

Bring your pedals and shoes with you when you come to So Cal. We'll get you out there on those roads, also.
:) :) :beer:

Tom

Kevan
03-02-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm still grinning. :D

Sandy
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I wish I had Tom's problem. When he visits me, he has his hands super glued to me and he has this wierd look on his face. :) :D

Sandy

Kevan
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Before you get the wrong idea from Sandy's posting... I had my fingers wrapped tightly around his throat and the wierd look was more like a grimace. :D

SoCalSteve
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow! After hearing Tom's summary of the rides and how much fun everyone had, I am truly sorry that I couldnt join you for such fun and scenic rides.

As Solvang is in a week and a 1/2 and my coaching commitments are over until the middle of May (when I am coaching the TNT Cool Breeze event) I am free to ride on Saturdays again.

I have ridden with Tom and enjoyed his company and his beautiful Ottrott!

I look forward to riding with anyone and everyone from the Forum and especially in August with Dave Kirk in Bozeman.

Tom come join the Road Rash Riders anytime.

Steve

Sandy
03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
That wasn't my throat......... :)

Sandy