PDA

View Full Version : Another Shoe Thread

benissimo
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry guys but another shoe. Just wanting to know if anyone has had any dealings with the following shoes,

http://www.rbcsport.com/

http://www.simmonscyclingshoes.com/

and lastly

http://www.bont.com/cycling/

Are there any other shoe companys like these out there.

Peter B
11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
D2 (http://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

54ny77
11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
why is it that most brands of custom cycling shoes have a unique way of being stupid expensive and butt ugly at the same time?

not sure of many other things in life that are "custom" that manage to marry such unique characteristics.... :rolleyes:

i'm sorry, this is not helpful to your question at hand. sorry for the thread drift... i have had no experience with most of the brands mentioned other than seriously looking into bont's and d2's, then the shimano custom moldable footbed thing, and finally ended up saving several hundred dollars and went with something off the shelf that works great on my fat feet. if you have unique foot characteristics that can only be solved via custom, then there you go.

benissimo
11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah not impressed with the D2 shoes don't know why.

54ny77
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
on d2's, i read just as many rave reviews as those who complained of imperfect fit & sending back & forth (although good customer service). that black & yellow & white splotchy fabric that they were using (at the time) was just heinous looking. i don't care how strong & purpose-made it is.

one solution would be finding a mass production shoe that fits you well and go get a custom orthotic.

myself, i ended up with northwave's and a dr. scholl's thin gel insert. for me, it's magic. and about $500 cheaper than custom.

benissimo
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I have custom orthodics already and I can't find a shoe that doesn't make my foot ache especially on 6+hr training days.

cody.wms
11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Maybe a fit issue? Im in the same boat - orthotics and my foot still hurts on occasion.

The next step for me is to have my overall fit checked. After that, maybe some D2s.

woolly
11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I absolutely love my D2's with the custom orthotic. I've got a really high arch/instep, and I've never had a pair of cycling shoes fit as well as these. I dabbled with orthotics in stock shoes prior to this, but by the time I got a supportive insert in there, there wasn't enough room in shoe for my foot. :crap:

These felt great out of the box, but after a few hundred miles I have to say they feel even better. I have to wonder if there's more of a "break in" period that some aren't taking the time for. In any case, the customer service I received start-to-finish was superb.

With several other brands top-end stock shoes in the $400-$500 range, my fully custom D2's at $675 end up being a real bargain. And yes, I never thought I'd say that a pair of $675 was a bargain, but the fact of the matter is it's some of the best money I've spent on cycling gear - ever. The issues with cramping & numbness on longer/harder rides is totally a thing of the past.

benissimo
11-04-2009, 10:55 PM
It's not a bike fit issue it's simply a shoe issue

jbrainin
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
My D2's have proved to be a bargain as it turned out that my my left foot is size 45 EE while my right foot is size 44EEE. If I were to try to get the proper size shoes from Sidi, I'd have to buy two pairs of Genius 5's (or whatever they are this week) and toss out one shoe from each pair. Given that the D2's include the custom orthotic, they probably prove to be cheaper for me than two pairs of Sidis + orthotics.

I think the majority of those who had fit issues with D2 screwed up the fit kit process and did not do the crush box and/or foot tracing carefully.

It took all of two rides for me to acclimate to wearing my D2's. I hardly notice them now when riding.

BTW, you can still buy from Rocket 7 if you want to spend $1450/pair, (A second pair will run a bargain price of $950!)

jpw
11-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Do you have six toes? :-)