PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Ksyrium R-Sys wheelsets

norcalbiker
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Any reason not to buy a set of Mavic Ksyrium R-Sys wheels?

Found a good deal on a set and the seller claimed that the front wheel has been replaced by Mavic due to recall.

fatallightning
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
is there any reason TO buy r-sys? not especially light, not especially strong, not aero.

bluto
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
read this (http://www.velonews.com/article/93054)

Pete Serotta
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Bill Davis (and his work crew, as well as me) were loaning ,for a demo, the R-SYS wheels for both events. Not a single out of true or problem.

As to if the wheel is right for you - demo a pair and see. (please do not flame me, unless you have ridden the revised ones...THANKS)

I like the ride and will be trying them for a week when I go out to COLO in the spring.

This wheel has had plenty of "emotion" surrounding it. There has also been much in the way of "assuming" based on publications and forums. (Yes the original one had some problems.....)

Many on the forum have LOTs of wheel knowledge but for the others,,,please keep in mind that light wheels are not as robust as some others. In the quest to make things light, for light sells, many wheels have become more like event wheels and not everyday in every condition wheels. I do not know where the R-sys falls into this but I do know some strong riders that use them the entire season in COLO> I also know they were used in the TDF among other races. (No reported problems unless they were in a crash prior to a problem.) And this means what :confused: :confused: time will tell.

Chris
11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Be sure your dental insurance is paid up.

garysol1
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
The newer "improved" wheels may indeed be fine but I would never ever have any faith in them. When bombing down a steep decent the last thing I want to be thinking about is if my wheels will hold together. Thanks but no thanks to R-Sys....enough other options out there to pick from.

rnhood
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Mavic has supposedly addressed the failure mechanisms in these wheels, I think. However, you might want to avoid the risk associated with them if you will be riding the mountains, because as mentioned above the last thing you want is for the wheel to explode on a 50 mph descent. You might want to avoid them on the flats since they are not as aerodynamic as many other wheels. They deliver an excellent ride quality though.

Probably the biggest reason not to buy them is because, for about the same price or perhaps a few dollars more you can get a pair of Shimano 7850 24CL wheels - and they are some kind of nice. Really superb wheels.

Mr. Squirrel
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
we love them. quite commodius to schism.

mr. squirrel

Charles M
11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm not assuming anything. I have seen a couple of examples of broken spokes with the new models and they're not fixed in my opinion.

I would not ride the wheels.

I would not sell them... I would not even give them away if I had a free pair.

The bandaid work done to secure a wheel that should never have been built isn't enough.

Mavic's version (in their press release regarding Ben's accident) of suggesting a bike's top tube exploded was one of the worst examples of a company taking responsibility I can think of in quite a while... And that was with the new version.

norcalbiker
11-03-2009, 11:27 PM
I think I'm going to stick with the Ksyrium SL.

Thanks guys!!! :beer:

pdmtong
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
even after watching the test videos (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/whats-new/interbike-confidental-2009.317.html) I am not convinced. call me paranoid but this seems like a solution ot a problem that didnt exist