PDA

View Full Version : New octalink bottom brackets?

batman1425
11-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a FSA team pro carbon crank. Its not the prettiest thing in the world anymore after about 8,000 miles, but it works well, its stiff, and there's no reason to toss it. Though, after all those miles the BB is getting a little gritty.

What are my options for replacement octalink bottom brackets? I'd rather not put a junky one in there, but I don't know how many are made anymore? Suggestions welcome!

Louis
11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Bot Search Results (http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ord=p&nd=9&tz=2&st=octalink+bottom+bracket&auct=on&lp=&hp=&x=13&y=11)

I think you probably want the V1

From Sheldon's (RIP) site:

Octalink ® cranks come in one of two different spline patterns:

The original "V1 " type for:
XTR (BB-M952 9-speed) 112.5 & 116 mm lengths
Dura-Ace (BB-7700 9speed) 109.5 mm (double) & 118.5 mm (triple) lengths
Ultegra (BB-6500 9-speed) 109.5 mm (double) & 118.5 mm (triple) lengths
105 (BB-5500 9-speed) 109.5 mm (double) & 118.5 mm (triple) lengths

The later "V2" type for:
Deore XT (ES70/71)
Deore LX (ES70/71)
Deore (ES50/51)

The V2 BBs work with FC M752, FC M751, FC M572, FC M571, FC M510-8 and FC M440-8 cranks.

Tiagra 2005 (4401,4404)
Sora 2005 (3301,3304)

totally_fixxate
11-03-2009, 12:00 AM
caveat: might not be sealed as good as a 105/Ultegra BB.
http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productcart/pc/catalog/dsc00232_716_detail.jpg

sjbraun
11-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Back in the day, didn't many pro teams switch to Ultegra BBs on their otherwise all DA kits? IIRC, the seals used on the DA BBs lost a lot of durability in exchange for increased "performance." Even in dry Tucson, I burned up a DA BB in just over a year. My mechanic told me that was common for DA BBs at the time. He replaced the worn BB with an Ultegra model that sstill spins freely more than 10 years later.

Richard
11-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Are you sure it is an Octalink and not ISIS? I don't recall aftermarket suppliers adopting the Ocalink in lieu of ISIS.

Keith A
11-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Are you sure it is an Octalink and not ISIS? I don't recall aftermarket suppliers adopting the Ocalink in lieu of ISIS.I'm pretty sure that Ritchey did for a while, but that was the only one that I was aware of.

tv_vt
11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Several companies used Octalink for a while. I have 4 FSA compact cranks that are octalinks (two older Energy cranks and 2 carbon). Also have a Sugino that's octalink. Ritchey's compact crank comes with octalink mounting too. Wish there was more availability of cranks and the BBs now. Seems like a great system to me.

Thom

false_Aest
11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Are you sure it is an Octalink and not ISIS? I don't recall aftermarket suppliers adopting the Ocalink in lieu of ISIS.

I had one that's octalink. Rare but rad'

batman1425
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Yep, its an octalink for sure. It actually is even printed on the crank arm in white lettering. FSA made most of these cranks in compact sizes, but mine is a standard 53-39. I've heard similar things about the durability of the dura-ace models. Are there still ultegra sealed cartridge BB's on the market?

bfd
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM

As others have stated, several mfrs made Octalink cranks. However, Shimano NEVER licensed the octalink bb, so it is the only mfrs. The ultegra bb and I believe the later DA triple bb came with sealed bearings and were the ones to get. Good Luck finding one now!

Marcusaurelius
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
The ultegra is good but as others have said-avoid the dura ace octalink bottom bracket.

I had an fsa carbon pro team but as with all things carbon I spent too much time worrying about scratching the carbon.

11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Do a search and you'll read a lot on this topic.

We've cut apart several bottom brackets and raced all the Octalink bottom brackets to the failure point. In summary,

1. The BB-7710 track bottom bracket is identical in bearings and seals etc. to the Ultegra with two exceptions: the steel cup rather than an alloy one and the NJS certification.

2. The Dura Ace is a superb bottom bracket and will last really well. It tends to have two flaws: First, the seals have to be seated properly so they are floating in some grease, at which point it's as durable as any Nuovo Record road hub ever was. It's still foolhardy not to service it on a regular basis. Second, the needle bearings run in a white plastic clip. They are usually the first casualty of improper maintenance -- the plastic wears from grit in the grease and the bearings fall out. Then people grease and reinstall the bottom bracket with some bearings missing, so of course it deteriorates rapidly. You can put the bearings back in place and they stay fine even if the clip is loose but you can't lose a bearing.

3. The Ultegra is the best of the bunch insofar as a fair balance between durability and performance. They are now rather hard to find and priced at least as high as the Dura Ace. It actually pays to get an Italian frame because Italian Ultegras are quite easy to find and inexpensive, while English ones are the rare version to find. The track BB-7710 is English and is perfectly exchangeable with the English Ultegra so don't sweat it, but it costs as much as an Ultegra if you can find one. Ebay is usually the best source for Ultegras.

4. The 105 is a rather inferior bottom bracket. It dispenses with one set of bearings and lowers the quality of the others. It feels like a smooth bottom bracket when you try it out, but it doesn't have the long-term performance of the Ultegra or Dura Ace. Fine in a pinch or for a bike that doesn't get a lot of miles (say, a daily commuter) but if you want quality, stay away from it.

totally_fixxate
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
However, Shimano NEVER licensed the octalink bb, so it is the only mfrs.

not true. FSA/Santana tandems

http://www.santana-tandem.com/de/images/bbfsasp.jpg

the problematic D/A BB is the BB-7700, very finicky and maintenance intensive.

11.4's info is very good, follow that, and you will be ok.

bfd
11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
not true. FSA/Santana tandems

http://www.santana-tandem.com/de/images/bbfsasp.jpg

the problematic D/A BB is the BB-7700, very finicky and maintenance intensive.

11.4's info is very good, follow that, and you will be ok.

Thanks. I didn't know FSA/Santana made an octalink bb. One thing about that bb, it looks very long, something Shimano doesn't appear to offer. Also, FSA's own website doesn't seem to list an octalink bb.

Nevertheless, I agree that 11.4's info is the one to follow. Good Luck!

totally_fixxate
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
One thing about that bb, it looks very long, something Shimano doesn't appear to offer.

yes, 138mm

93legendti
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I also have an FSA Octalink crankset.