PDA

View Full Version : real red bar tape

eddief
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
The new bike I'm building is dark dark green. I want to try red bar tape, but Cinelli red and Phat red look more orange to me than red. Is there another brand that makes a darkish redish corky bar tape? Deda?

csb
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
hold on, i think e-richie is in the powder room.

eddief
02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
it too looks sorta organgie in the photos on his website.

e-RICHIE
02-17-2005, 09:39 PM
it's red. really red. want some?
contact the jerk and he will contact me.
then, i will contact you.
e-RICHIE

:cool: :cool: :cool:
;) ;) ;)
:D :D :D

arrange disorder

csb
02-17-2005, 09:41 PM
its a beautiful (deep?) red. i would not think
'orange' when looking at it.
the RS pattern throughout may bother some,
who i do not know but there it is.

vandeda
02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Eddie,

How soon are you looking to get the tape? In about a month or so, I'm going to be trying Velo red gel cork (well ... synthetic cork) tape. When I get it, I can let you know what it looks like and send pictures.

Also ... from the pictures I have in front of me, Profile Design red synthetic cork looks to be a dark red.

Dan

christian
02-17-2005, 10:21 PM
The Silva red tape is red. Bright red red.

- Christian

dave thompson
02-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Or you could look at Cinelli Brick Red, a 'darkish reddish' tape.

eddief
02-17-2005, 10:54 PM
don't see it any place on the web.

dave thompson
02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
I had Brick Red tape on my Kirk. The Cinelli part number (I think) is 212. If yoiu can't find any, my LBS has some in stock.

Keith A
02-18-2005, 07:55 AM
The Deda tape is also very red and has a similar feel as the Cinelli cork tape. I wouldn't call this a dark red, more of a bright red -- but not orangish at all. I recently put this on my '89 Paramount and can take a picture of it and post it for you if you'd like.

Here's a color chart from Colorado Cyclist...
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/images/products/thumb/dedljc04.jpg

Keith A
02-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Also, here's a small color sample of brick red -- this is all I could find.
http://www.rideyourbike.com/images/cinellitape/brick.jpg

Sandy
02-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Cinelli has regular cork tape and gel cork tape. I decided to try Cinelli red cork tape since I have red decals on my bike. The regular red cork tape certainly had an orange red look to it, so I decided not to use it. The Cinelli red gel cork tape has a redder look to it, sort of a red/pink (mostly red) look with perhaps a little orange look. It is much redder than the regular Cinelli cork tape. But it is not the exact red that I wanted. I used the gel tape for a change (always used black before) and liked the color and the feel of the tape.

I went back to black a few days ago and it is really amazing how different my bike looks with the black tape.

Sandy

dave thompson
02-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Eddie: I have a 6" piece of the Brick Red tape. If you'd like, I could mail it to you.

eddief
02-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks all for your input on my style crisis. Since the bike I'm putting the red tape on is not appropriate to the eritchie logo, I had a word with off the front. They said their normal tape is as really red as the eritchie model. Then I went into a local shop and saw a package of the red off the front cyclocross tape and it was indeed a true red. So I put in an order for some of that and will apply upon arrival. I'm anxious to check out the not-so-widely-available off the front product. One might think if it is good enough for eritchie it must be good enough.

If it ever stops raining I'll take a photo of my third son and let you see where the red tape ends up.

e-RICHIE
02-18-2005, 07:33 PM
doh

Off-The-Front makes my tape too.

eddief
02-18-2005, 07:54 PM
and feel like a jerk because it seems like eritchie and the jerk are doing a gene transfer mind meld and that does not go well with Tanquery 10 Martini I am currently drinking.

Sandy
02-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I would feel guilty using Off-The-Front anything. Not consistent with my riding.

Sandy

eddief
02-25-2005, 09:32 PM
as e-ritchie said...my order of Off the Front red bar tape arrived today. Not installed yet, but I can attest to the fact that it is just plain red; not orange red, not brick red, just red. Have you seen this stuff? I think I'm gonna like it a lot.

e-RICHIE
02-25-2005, 09:36 PM
doesn't work with straight forks.

hey - just joking!

eddief
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I owned a Woundup straight blade carbon fork for about 10 minutes once. Those things look weird to me. Never red tape with a straight blade fork, I agree.