PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber to steel, I forgot...

jkap
02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Okay, I'm an idiot and forgot. After winter storage and now getting ready for spring (if it ever comes to the Chicago area) why do I think I read that one SHOULD NOT put lube on a CF seatpost before installing on a steel frame? Just doesn't sound right. Is it?

wanderingwheel
02-17-2005, 06:32 PM
As I understand it, you should only lube a carbon fiber post in an aluminum bike to prevent galvanic corrosion. In all other bikes, galvanic corrosion is not an issue so the carbon fiber post should not be lubed. An unlubed carbon fiber post is less likely to slip and so you are less likely to damage the seat post by over-tightening the clamp, or at least that's the theory.

Sean

TimD
02-17-2005, 08:51 PM
One story I've heard and sort-of believe is that, over time, a hydrocarbon-based lubricant may cause the tubing's plastic resin to break down.

TimD

vaxn8r
02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Never lubricate a CF post.

Smiley
02-18-2005, 05:49 AM
never ever for that matter , listen to vaxn8r

William
02-18-2005, 05:58 AM
never ever for that matter , listen to vaxn8r

So I should never ever listen to the Vaxn8r? Right?

;) :)

William

Kevin
02-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Don't lube the cf post.

Kevin

zap
02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Don't lube the cf post. Galvanic corrosion (carbon to al) won't happen because the carbon is buried under the outer coating and will not come in contact with metal.

Don't know if there is a reaction between bare carbon and steel. Anyone?

Too Tall
02-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Well I'm in deep trouble than cause I've always used some white lithium swabbed in the seattube of steel and ti AND carbon bikes using ANY kind of seatpost. I don't get it. My take on it is same as zapper, gel coat is what's in contact with whatever. The carbon is sealed, as it were, from the elements. No runs no slips no errors. Is there a problem with seatposts that have substandard specs.?

No doubt I'm wrong about this but that's what I does.

Kevan
02-18-2005, 09:45 AM
was when pairing a CF post with a CF frame.