PDA

View Full Version : 1999 TDF Video Help?

MattTuck
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Looking for footage of the race before/during/after the Stage 2 crash at Passage du gois.

I'd rather not go out and buy the entire DVD collection if it exists somewhere on the web. I tried Youtube, but no luck after a few basic searches.

Thanks.

rcnute
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Just out of curiosity--why?

MattTuck
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I get sadistic pleasure from watching massive crashes....

Just kidding.

I recently gave a presentation entitled "How are you going to beat Goliath?" to an entrepreneurship class. I was asked to give the talk again to a bigger audience in a few months.

In the talk, I discuss the strategies that smaller/weaker/less resourced companies can use when competing with larger rivals and competitors. I pull from business strategy, military strategy, chess, fire fighting, and sports to name a few. I like cycling and want to include a section on a lesson that can be learned from pro racing.

The Passage du gois example provides a nice illustrative lesson about "knowing the course" and taking the time to prepare. I want to drive home the real purpose of writing a business plan -- to understand the market and rivals that you'll be competing with, and figuring out how you can outmaneuver them.

You'll recall that in 1999, few people in America knew the name Lance Armstrong, and most in Europe did not consider him a major threat for the GC. I'm not sure of USPS's budget relative to other teams at the time, but my sense is that they were underdogs.

So, I want to see if the video of the actual event synchs with my understanding of the event, and if it would be worthwhile to show during my lecture. Thanks for the interest.

If you can think of other situations in pro cycling where you are either the underdog, or outnumbered, and what strategies are successful, I'd love to think about them too. I started to explore the strategy of winning from a break-away, but it is more complicated than I'd like, and is a bit hard (for me atleast) to reduce to 1 instructive lesson.

weisan
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
how about Cadel Evans' recent exploit at the Worlds? He was not the hot favorite, the Italians are the goliath, and he knows the course well living a stone throw away...the video clip is readily available on Utube.

Louis
11-02-2009, 04:40 PM
How about the "split the pack after the turn and resulting wind shift" in the most recent TDF? Don't remember what team did that, I think it was one of the Americans.

MattTuck
11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
how about Cadel Evans' recent exploit at the Worlds? He was not the hot favorite, the Italians are the goliath, and he knows the course well living a stone throw away...the video clip is readily available on Utube.

I didn't watch this race, but I'll take a look to find an online stream. Was there a particular point in the race where he used his "native" skills?

Thanks for the heads up!

How about the "split the pack after the turn and resulting wind shift" in the most recent TDF? Don't remember what team did that, I think it was one of the Americans.

Thanks! This is certainly the same idea, and I considered this year also, when Team Columbia drove the split. I wouldn't exactly call them "under dogs", as Cavendish was a heavy favorite on pretty much any flat stage. This would be a good back up example. My fear is it's going to be hard enough explaining the concept of a stage race... I'm hoping people will atleast be able to understand a wet slippery road (passage du gois). It is a bit more "concrete" than trying to explain the nuances of a cross wind and echelon formations.

regularguy412
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
nevermind (kudos to Lily Tomlin) :D

Dekonick
11-02-2009, 08:04 PM
www.cyclingtorrents.nl

It is a torrent repository of cycling video's and races. All of them are supposed to be legal - there are many old races available, and if you request certain stages/races chances someone will find it and make it available for download. I have really enjoyed the site for it's access to otherwise unavailable cycling content. Don't be afraid, torrents are just a fancy word for download.

My advice - only download torrents that are legal - so don't download the newest movies as thats a sure way to get a visit from the RIAA and friends.

It is great to be able to watch old race footage tho - even if it is mostly in dutch. My Dutch is limited to ordering beer...

weisan
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Check this out, listen to Phil Liggett's commentary, it will help you understand the race situation.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUplAPmV61I
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUhMa2eFTo

jlwdm
11-02-2009, 10:38 PM

I think this is a different situation. Cadel benefited from the battle between Spain and Italy and the covering of Cancellara. Stronger teams did not ride smart.

1999 crash better fits what Matt is looking for.

Jeff