PDA

View Full Version : Question:Jerk, Big Mac or other Experts concerning rims

big D
02-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I am lookin g to build some wheel for a super sized guy (320lbs+, 80-100km/week). I am current running Ambrosio Focus in a 36 hole drilling. I was wondering if either of you know if the Bontrager Maverick in a 700c size 36 drilling hold up to a super size guy? I am looking for another set of wheels that look a little more traditional but can't use a tire any larger then 28c because of the fork I am running

From following this board it seems the way to go is with an weld, off-set rim in the back and standard rim in the front in 36 spokes. The problem I am finding is that no other company other then Bontrager makes a 36 off-set that isn't close to 400gr. The Maverick isn't crazy wide and the closet thing I could find but i think it might be to wide. I really need some advice.

Here is a link to my bike's posting in the image gallery so you can see the type of rims I currently have.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=415

Should I stick this type of rim after all and get another set built up?

Thanks

William
02-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Read Bigmacs take on Big Wheels at barbarianbikeblog or bigmacbikes.

William :)

flydhest
02-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Quite honestly, at your size, I wouldn't worry about rim weight very much at all. Getting a 36h offset rim and a good builder should do you very solid. Other people--such as our supersized friend Ahneida Ride--use CXP-33 rims. These V-profile rims give more strength and stiffness (and, of course weight). Ahneida loves his and has not had trouble and he's a big dude.

big D
02-17-2005, 03:40 PM
The only weight is for me right now is losing it of my super size behind. But I do need another set of wheels and was think this would be a good way to go.

e-RICHIE
02-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Read Bigmacs take on Big Wheels at barbarianbikeblog or bigmacbikes.

William
www.bigmacbikes.blogspot.com

This is all e-RICHIES fault!

you cut and pasted someone else's posts
and created a blog with it? mon dieu*.
e-RICHIE

*fr. for "my dieu".

jerk
02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
the jerk is glad you didn't do that with his posts (although you certainly have permission to if you are so inclined,) as that would make him really nervous. do you have the big man's permission?
jerk

William
02-17-2005, 04:42 PM
e-RICHIE

the jerk is glad you didn't do that with his posts (although you certainly have permission to if you are so inclined,) as that would make him really nervous. do you have the big man's permission?
jerk

Yes, in my blog induced haste to build a clydesdale info blog I got carried away made a BigMac blog without asking the big man. Poor form on my part. I should have asked first. I'll stop adding to it and kill it if he wants it removed.
This blog stuff is infectious. Hmmm, "The Jerk's Bike Blog Chronicles". I wouldn't put it past me to do just that....see what I mean! It's e-RICHIE's fault!!! (just kidding).

William (who should have asked first :crap: )

e-RICHIE
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
oh don't be a weenie. keep it up.
this is the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bananas.

William
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
e-RICHIE

*fr. for "my dieu".

oh don't be a weenie. keep it up.
this is the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bananas.

I think I'm becoming manic-depressive...
:(
:D
:crap:

William

e-RICHIE
02-17-2005, 05:05 PM
William-issimo is worried,
"I think I'm becoming manic-depressive..."

try a 10 day fast.

William
02-17-2005, 05:11 PM
And drop to 200 pounds??? No way man!!! :rolleyes:

William

dnovo
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
"mon dieu*.
e-RICHIE

*fr. for "my dieu".

No, mon dieu is what DeGaulle used to say when he looked into the mirror. Dave N.

e-RICHIE
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
you got kicked off the island!
where've you been?

dnovo
02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Practicing law. ("So Dad, 33 years and you still have to practice? When do you think you'll finally learn?") Dave N.

vaxn8r
02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
I am lookin g to build some wheel for a super sized guy (320lbs+, 80-100km/week). I am current running Ambrosio Focus in a 36 hole drilling. I was wondering if either of you know if the Bontrager Maverick in a 700c size 36 drilling hold up to a super size guy? I am looking for another set of wheels that look a little more traditional but can't use a tire any larger then 28c because of the fork I am running

From following this board it seems the way to go is with an weld, off-set rim in the back and standard rim in the front in 36 spokes. The problem I am finding is that no other company other then Bontrager makes a 36 off-set that isn't close to 400gr. The Maverick isn't crazy wide and the closet thing I could find but i think it might be to wide. I really need some advice.

Here is a link to my bike's posting in the image gallery so you can see the type of rims I currently have.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=415

Should I stick this type of rim after all and get another set built up?

Thanks

Big d, you are about the weight of my wife and I on our tandem. I had 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro's laced 3 cross. After about 5K miles I noticed some cracking on the rear rim. I replaced that rim with a 36 spoke Mavic T217 which looks very much like an Open Pro and I left the front wheel with the Open Pro. This has been a solid set up with another 5K miles or so and no sign of failure. Pretty good set up I would think.

Of course, dish is not a problem for us on the tandem.

slowgoing
02-17-2005, 10:17 PM
E-Richie said:

"try a 10 day fast."

... it only takes three days...

Orin
02-18-2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks

Think tandem wheel then it should be overbuilt for you.

Consider Velocity Deep V. The local tandem riders seem to like them...
in a forty-something drilling! You can get pretty colors too, none of this boring silver or black.

Orin.

William
02-18-2005, 05:52 AM
More info on tubulars?

The big man on:

Tubular Tires
Tubular rims
Tubular vs Clincher
Climbing wheels
Composite rims
And Wheels for Sandy

The man has a wealth of knowlege to share.(You're next Jerk! ;) )

bigmacbikes

William