PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars rule, clinchers suck

bostondrunk
02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Just a friendly broadcast reminder for those of you who haven't got a clue about wheels and are about to drop 9k on a bike; from your local, stinky, grumpy drunk. :argue: :beer: :rolleyes: :p ;)

zap
02-17-2005, 11:14 AM
But clinchers rule in tt with smooth road surface :argue:
:bike:

:beer:

bostondrunk
02-17-2005, 11:15 AM
But clinchers rule in tt with smooth road surface :argue:
:bike:

:beer:

Is that why all the pros use tubulars in TT's? Because they are slower?! :D

zap
02-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Supplier issues?

But tubless clinchers will be better still if they ever come to market.

bostondrunk
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Supplier issues?

But tubless clinchers will be better still if they ever come to market.

Not so sure. I think tubular rims will still be able to be made lighter, and the better tubies will always be lighter than some hybrid tire with a rim bead on it...
But most people on here are too stubborn to try tubies, which ride sooo nice, even though they are spending a mint on their frameset. .... :confused: :butt:

Kevan
02-17-2005, 11:38 AM
FOOD FIGHT!!!!!

Where's a Boston cream pie when you need one??? :D

bostondrunk
02-17-2005, 11:49 AM
You all know I am right..... :D
Yer all just scared of the glue!

Jack Brunk
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree with drunk 100 percent.

Jack

dgauthier
02-17-2005, 12:21 PM
We know! We know! Tubulars are the gold standard.

Speaking for myself, there's only one reason I haven't switched to tubulars yet: the "two flat" ride.

I don't flat all that often, but here in Los Angeles all you have to do is hit a patch of goathead thorns to flat both tires. With clinchers, I can carry three tubes and three CO2 cartridges in a tiny saddlebag. I can't imagine being able to carry more than one spare tubular tire. Whaddya do if you're running tubulars and you flat a second time with only one spare?

Don't start telling me about needles and thread. I ain't gonna sew by the side of the road. But seriously, how do you guys that ride tubulars handle such a situation?

William
02-17-2005, 12:23 PM
The Drunk is.....well, drunk. His inner megrims have been having this conflict for years. In a week he'll come out saying Clinchers rule and tubies suck. Such is the cycle of life.

But this week he is correct. :beer:

William (who goes both ways......tires that is) ;)

Dekonick
02-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Sure - Tubulars sound great - UNLESS you live with the crappy roads I live with and worry about FLATS.

No one disputes that Armodillo's suck but I still have a pair on one bike...(whenever it rains here it floods...= trash on road= flat with any nice n fluffy tire...)

Perhaps one day.... perhaps.

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Degauzer - Risk acceptance and a plan "B". Yah can't control everything thank goodness.

Jack Brunk
02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Tubulars work great on bad roads because they don't pinch flat. On double centuries I take two spares. I tie one under my seat and put one in my rear jersey pocket. I use sealant in all my tires so I rarely have to change a tire but on the rare occasion when I do, it takes only takes 5-10 minutes.

Jack

bpm
02-17-2005, 12:35 PM
If I had a team car following me with spare wheels I'd definitely ride tubbies. Otherwise the inconvenience factor isn't worth it to me.

For what it's worth, back in the day I used tubulars exclusively, and inevitably, I had the two flat ride. I actually was carrying two spares that day so no big deal. Until, the two flat ride became the three flat ride.

I had a cell phone but when nobody that you call is home, it's either a long walk or a very slow, shaky and rim damaging ride, take your pick.

zap
02-17-2005, 12:38 PM
FOOD FIGHT!!!!!

Where's a Boston cream pie when you need one???

My local franchise from Boston was out of them (Bavarian (Boston) creme donuts) this morning :crap:

Boys and girls, if your roads are in bad shape, tubies will be more reliable and save your behind some discomfort.

[Whaddya do if you're running tubulars and you flat a second time with only one spare

Ride on the flat tubular tire. It's perfectly safe and won't harm the rim. I've done it a few times years ago when it was close to the end of a ride. Just take it easy around turns.

flydhest
02-17-2005, 12:41 PM
unless I'm riding with someone else, a two flat ride for me screws the pooch whether I'm on clinchers or tubulars. What has happened to me on clinchers, is to have the sidewall blowout more than can be booted. If this happens with tubulars, you're covered.

The risk of the three flat ride . . . from most peoples' discussions on the "what do you carrry" they're spent if you get three flats. Suppose you carry three inner tubes. What if you get four flats?

I agree with zap. Ride tubulars, carry a spare, if you flat again, crawl home.

Fluffy the Rat
02-17-2005, 01:03 PM
FOOD FIGHT!!!!!

Where's a Boston cream pie when you need one??? :D

Pie or puff???

mad_mark
02-17-2005, 01:11 PM
unless I'm riding with someone else, a two flat ride for me screws the pooch whether I'm on clinchers or tubulars. What has happened to me on clinchers, is to have the sidewall blowout more than can be booted. If this happens with tubulars, you're covered.

The risk of the three flat ride . . . from most peoples' discussions on the "what do you carrry" they're spent if you get three flats. Suppose you carry three inner tubes. What if you get four flats?

I agree with zap. Ride tubulars, carry a spare, if you flat again, crawl home.

This made me think, has anyone tried the Tufo snot in any other makes of tubular? My thinking being that if it works, you might not even notice you'd had a flat during the ride, unless it was a major one. Might stop a two flat ride, or even a tire change during the ride...

Worst ride "home" I ever saw, someone in a TT who flatted in the final 2m of a 10m TT and rode it in, on a Ghibli. Ruined the rim section :crap:

Mark.

jeffg
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
I would rather ride a DC or event with a clincher if I have to change a tire. Imagine flatting, having a new tubular on where you are supposed to take it easy on the cornering and having lots of technical descending left to do ... doh! :crap:

coylifut
02-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Tubulars work great on bad roads because they don't pinch flat. On double centuries I take two spares. I tie one under my seat and put one in my rear jersey pocket. I use sealant in all my tires so I rarely have to change a tire but on the rare occasion when I do, it takes only takes 5-10 minutes.

Jack

Tubulars are clearly superior. Why does it take you so long to change a tire? On my team, any tire change that takes more than 3 minutes is met with mass ridicule and I'm talking about clinchers.

flydhest
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
jeffg,

But you'd have a spare. The question comes down to how many of what type of spares are you willing to carry to guard against the event of multiple flats. From my experience, where I ride, a double flat ride is an extremely rare event. It's happened to me maybe twice in the 19 years I've been riding. If I was going to do a DC, I'd probably carry two tubulars. Pre-glued and dried, put 'em on and you're good to go. I've had a torn sidewall the same amount of times (two) and had I been riding tubulars, I'd have been home a lot sooner.

Now, I think the argument that more people ride clinchers and so you're more likely to be bailed out by someone is a valid argument.

The triple flat day, however, leaves me a bit flat.

bostondrunk
02-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I would rather ride a DC or event with a clincher if I have to change a tire. Imagine flatting, having a new tubular on where you are supposed to take it easy on the cornering and having lots of technical descending left to do ... doh! :crap:

The warnings are exagerated. If properly inflated, you can still corner pretty damn fast. At least fast enough to make do on a training ride.
I can change a tubie flat faster than a clincher. Rip bad one off, pull good one on, inflate. :beer:

gabbard
02-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't it seem that if you can easily get the tubular tire off the rim, then it is not glued on tight enough? For my Tufo cross tires, I use extreme tape, and to remove the tire at the end of the season, I need to get a screwdriver between the tire and rim and slowly roll it around the rim. If I could easily peel the tire off, I would not ride the tire - it is not glued correctly. Maybe there is a difference between road pressure and cross pressure and how much extra force it takes to rip a tire off a rim, but it would sure make me nervous.

Also, the fact that some plurality, maybe a majority, of pro riders use clinchers tells me that they are good enough for my uses. Sure, they are sponsored by Michelin or whoever, but they race against others who are riding tubulars and do just fine. For road riding, tubulars are not worth hassle for me. For cross, I would use nothing else.

Steve

Jack Brunk
02-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Coy,

I haven't had to change but two tires so far. Hopefully I won't have to practice too much.

Jack

Roy E. Munson
02-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't it seem that if you can easily get the tubular tire off the rim, then it is not glued on tight enough?

I agree 100%

madbiker
02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't it seem that if you can easily get the tubular tire off the rim, then it is not glued on tight enough? For my Tufo cross tires, I use extreme tape, and to remove the tire at the end of the season, I need to get a screwdriver between the tire and rim and slowly roll it around the rim. If I could easily peel the tire off, I would not ride the tire - it is not glued correctly. Maybe there is a difference between road pressure and cross pressure and how much extra force it takes to rip a tire off a rim, but it would sure make me nervous.

Also, the fact that some plurality, maybe a majority, of pro riders use clinchers tells me that they are good enough for my uses. Sure, they are sponsored by Michelin or whoever, but they race against others who are riding tubulars and do just fine. For road riding, tubulars are not worth hassle for me. For cross, I would use nothing else.

Steve

I usually use the skewer from the wheel the same way you use the screwdriver. Just takes a few seconds to get it started, then you can yank the rest of it off.

spiderman
02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
the toughest part of changing out a tubular
is taking the thing off
even with web-slinging spidey strenth...

Climb01742
02-17-2005, 03:59 PM
as a small child, i was attached (or was it attacked?) by glue at the circus, and ever since, i've been mortally afraid of glue. especially that awful kid named elmer. some of us have good reasons to be afraid of glue.

ZippRider
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Just my 1cent input. I use and ride with guys on Tufo tubbies. We use the latex sealant and do not have trouble with flats. So far I am satisfied with them.

ericmurphy
02-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I was under the impression that it's unsafe to ride a freshly-glued sewup. Is this true? A friend of mine (who is no longer among the living, sad to say) had a 1982 Colnago with Nuovo Record and Mavic Sewup rims. He used to get flats all the time on it, and once when we were getting a new tube or something, a guy at a pretty reputable shop told him he shouldn't be riding on freshly-glued tires.

If this is so, aren't tubulars better suited for riders who have a team support vehicle handy with spare wheels?

Too Tall
02-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Tufo sealant infact all sealant is for tubeless tires only. Folks who use it otherwise are just filling their tire carcass with that carp until it spews out and seals the tire....the spoke holes...seams...you get the picture?

If you got your 'chit together than your spares have a nice coat of glue ready to go...not some dried out mess. You gotta take care of your stuff!!!! The spare will hold just fine if ,as the drunk says, you inflate to normal pressures. It's not ready for a crit. but it's fine for service corsa baby :)

As for how well tubies are glued on. Again, if you've been properly schooled you know that enough is enough and too little is too little. Experience is your teacher. My race wheels are probably overglued and I have a b**ch of a time starting the tire to peel off...but these don't go on the road...race only. Training tires get the normal glue treatment and rip right off after some persuasion with a small flat blade screw driver (weak thumbs) and I NEVER worry about rolling a tire!

Truth be told. If you've got the b@$$s to ride tubies and have the g-d given sense to carry sufficient spares than you prolly figured out how to patch one by the side of the road too...it's been known to happen.

: Rant Off: pipe : bit bucket
END

93legendti
02-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Tubulars are great...but a few experiences come to mind:
my friend rolling a tub on a descent in the Dolomites and sliding into the guard rail...just missing a car;
a riding buddy rolling a tub, crashing and shattering his femur ending his riding season;
another riding buddy getting 2 tub flats in the rain one year in the Columbus Fall Challenge and ending his ride;
a group member getting a flat and then her tire nearly fell off the rim when we helped her change it.

All were experienced cyclists, who frequented reputable shops. Our group leader has a rule: Flat on clinchers and we stop and help you change it. Flat on tubs and we'll see you next time!

shinomaster
02-20-2005, 02:07 AM
You all know I am right..... :D
Yer all just scared of the glue!

Buddy have you been sniffing too much glue..?

shinomaster
02-20-2005, 02:13 AM
I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN THINKINGOF BUILDING UP SOME TUBULAR HOOPS for my campy drivetrain. What kind of rims are best for a light weight rider like me who just wants to accelerate fast up hill and isn't worried about aerodynamics. I like the looks of the NOS campy rims in NAshbar now on sale. What about Velocity or Mavic or Ambrosio rims..??? Help!.. Could I use the same wheels for cross..?? Spokes? Hubs?
Remember I weigh 144lbs and am easy on wheels.. :banana:

ShockTreatment
02-20-2005, 07:54 AM
I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN THINKINGOF BUILDING UP SOME TUBULAR HOOPS for my campy drivetrain. What kind of rims are best for a light weight rider like me who just wants to accelerate fast up hill and isn't worried about aerodynamics.

Shinomaster -- Old Mavic GL 330s or AR10 would work well for you. You could probably even use a GEL 280 on the front. I am 155# and use the 330s for cross with TUFO Elite LPS tires. I was unsure at first that they would hold up, but they have. Another light option is old Campy Victory Strada.

H.Frank Beshear
02-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Shino I just received a pair of Fir st120 from Mad_Mark. Nice looking rims. He had a few more for sale in different drillings for a very fair price. Give him a PM and see if he has any left. Frank

Spicoli
02-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Shino,
I second what Frank said and add Ambrosio F20's to the list. They are lighter than the Fir's and Ital-tecno.com has them for $39 each so they may be a bit easier to get. I have you by forty pounds and cannot kill my wheels. :banana:

bostondrunk
02-20-2005, 12:42 PM
NOS ambrosio cronos can also be found sometimes. I believe they are similar in weight to the GL330 Mavics..

jerk
02-20-2005, 12:50 PM
shino-
mavic paris-roubaix rims 28 hole....you'll be impressed and no the jerk has no idea where you can get them. the jerk is not going to enter the tubular versus clincher debate because it is as stupid as arguing whether a formula one car should have all season tires or whether a marathon racer should run in hiking boots or whether lance should race the tour de france on a mountain bike....ok maybe it's not that bad.....
jerk

shinomaster
02-20-2005, 02:11 PM
campy Barcelona??

H.Frank Beshear
02-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Shino do a search on tubular rims and you will find several threads. Big Mac had several good comments on rims. Frank

Too Tall
02-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm not ignoring you 93legend my man just shaking my head...it's kinda like when I rode motorcycle. There seemed to be this steady stream of folks who'd compliment me on the BMW and than think it was ok to tell me some ghastly story about a pal of a pal who had their leg tore off. It's just pointless dood. Your points are just lost on me....curse of the true believer.

On a more bouyant note. Had my first race of the season. Basic business park crit. and since my race bike was dirty and I hadn't check the race wheels the night before just grabbed the training bike with FIFTEEN DOLLAR Clement tubulars 'bout 1/2 worn out and guess what? They cornered like champs. Don't you HATE that???

93legendti
02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not ignoring you 93legend my man just shaking my head...it's kinda like when I rode motorcycle. There seemed to be this steady stream of folks who'd compliment me on the BMW and than think it was ok to tell me some ghastly story about a pal of a pal who had their leg tore off. It's just pointless dood. Your points are just lost on me....curse of the true believer.

On a more bouyant note. Had my first race of the season. Basic business park crit. and since my race bike was dirty and I hadn't check the race wheels the night before just grabbed the training bike with FIFTEEN DOLLAR Clement tubulars 'bout 1/2 worn out and guess what? They cornered like champs. Don't you HATE that???

:)

H.Frank Beshear
02-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Well thats certainly an informative and clever response. Some of us take our selves way to seriously. Frank

dirtdigger88
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Im telling the moderator. . .

jason

chrisroph
02-20-2005, 09:31 PM
93 must have had a really bad day.....

bostondrunk
02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
can't we all just git along?!?!
tubies rule. :D

Roy E. Munson
02-21-2005, 11:57 AM
"93 must have had a really bad day....."

I suspect he just doesn't like being talked down to. Who could blame him?

Big Dan
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Anyday you have to ride with a short stem is a bad day......80mm = short... :bike:

Kane
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I wasn't talking to you, but maybe shaking your head will clear the cobwebs out and you will think clearer. Because you missed the point of the post. Makes no difference to me. I don't care at all if you respond to anything I post. I was posting for the people with sense who realize riding tubs for training rides, while faster and better riding, may not be the safest, most practical thing to do. If you want to ride tubs in a race that is fantastic. And just to ensure that I get banned from a place where shills for bike stores like jerk who used to sell Serottas but doesn't anymore, people who refer to themselves in the third person and idiots like you abound...F*** OFF.

Whoa baby!! Did you get up on the wrong side of bed? Do you guys have other history? From a Buddist perspective, I'm thinking that maybe your thong is too tight!

Peace Out!!

Sandy
02-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Up until the last post by 93Legendti, I have noticed his (or her) demeanor to be remarkably better than in the past. I think that he (or she) has made a very successful attempt to be friendly,sensitive, and helpful to those who post here. The last post by 93Legendti certainly seems misplaced and the choice of words was pathetic at best.

However, perhaps he has felt the frustration of being picked on by others in the forum. If you read some of 93Legendti's recent posts (up until the last one) you will see how helpful and nice he (or she) has been.

I think that the comments given by 93Legendti about tubulars rolling off the rim was certainly not out of place at all and the post was most reasonable. It certainly was given as his personal experience with those riding tubulars. So what was wrong with that? I could certainly see his point. It made sense to me.

93Legendti- You have Too Tall all wrong. He is a most helpful, friendly, and caring cyclist and individual. He will help all, whether they are excellent cyclists or novice. He doesn't discriminate in any manner, in my opinion. He takes the road of being nice to people and does not initiate offensive actions or words to anyone. At least he doesn't try.

I certainly do not think your comment was pointless as Too Tall said, but in no way did he deserve your hostility. He is one of the good guys. One of the best, in fact.

Sandy

dirtdigger88
02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
"93 must have had a really bad day....."

I suspect he just doesn't like being talked down to. Who could blame him?

How else can Too Tall talk to 93legendti- there is like two feet of height difference going on here.

Jason

Too Tall
02-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Sandy is such a diplomat. Appreciate how this group seeks peace and harmony. I AM SORRY IFN I offended yah 93' Whip me beat me make me use bad english!

It's something that happens. You've got a "tone" of conversation in your head and it is not well conveyed in type.

spiderman
02-21-2005, 03:50 PM
:confused: i've had people tell me
the spray kicked up by my sew ups
is really annoying...
...any science behind this contention?? :rolleyes:

madbiker
02-21-2005, 04:46 PM
:confused: i've had people tell me
the spray kicked up by my sew ups
is really annoying...
...any science behind this contention?? :rolleyes:

tell those wheel suckers to take a pull and stop sitting on your wheel!