PDA

View Full Version : Rear lights

false_Aest
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Anyone compare the Nite Rider Cherry Bomb to the Cateye TL-LD1100?

With daylight savings comin' I gotta get somethin'

Any other suggestions under $50?

Ahneida Ride
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
there are rear lights & then there is DiNotte.

you can see a DiNotte light a mile back.

false_Aest
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
under 50 Frns please.

Jawn P
10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Planet Bike Superflash is on par with the Cherrybomb.

tuscanyswe
10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Nice design.

Easy to move around if you are running more than 1 bike. Comes in smaller versions too. Not had mine long enough to know battery times tho.

Not anyway near the dinottes but quite strong for what it is.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/4058356543_27f4e66e31_o.jpg

Edit: Its a KNOG skink.

jblande
10-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Do you feel the same way about the Dinotte's front lights?

Ahneida Ride
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
under 50 Frns please.

Yea I know ... ;)

for 20 frn, the planet bike works rather well.

I use this on my helmet and the DiNotte on my bike.

Ahneida Ride
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Do you feel the same way about the Dinotte's front lights?

YES ... I also run with a DiNotte Amber daytime light !

TimD
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm running the Cateye LD600, which is certainly bright enough for nighttime use.

One feature I really like: Cateye uses a mount which allows the light to be installed and removed in seconds. The mounts, available as spares from Cateye, are of varying diameter for attachment to the seatpost, the seat tube, or the chainstay. The taillight will mount horizontally or vertically (way aero!) in the mount. Once installed in the mount the light will not be dislodged no matter how fast you ride over the railroad tracks.

Check out my new Fierte iT "winter beater" in the Gallery. If you look closely you'll see one of the mounts attached to the bottom of the Ti portion of the mono-stay. I'm pretty happy with that, at least so far.

Tim

54ny77
10-30-2009, 02:15 PM
the planet bike superflash is crazy bright, small, uncomplicated, and inexpensive (around $25 or so).

i've found the biggest problem with rear lights is finding one with a mounting system/bracket that doesn't rub against the legs when pedaling. a helmet mount is probably the better way to go for the rear light if you have that fit limitation on your bike (the seatpost, for example).

palincss
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
There's bright, there's too bright, and there's "Shut that g--damn thing off! It's too effen much!" bright. Flashing makes it worse.

djg
10-30-2009, 03:46 PM
On the ride home yesterday somebody had a blinking red light that was painful, even when I tried to hang out 20 meters back or so. I've learned to look a bit down and to the right when there's a bright oncoming light, but for some reason it seemed way too hard to avoid seeing this thing, in an unpleasant way, while still looking in my direction of travel. Blinked a lot and passed the guy, but hated the thing.

Ken C
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
The super flash works great. I took a piece of metal used to mount fenders to make it easy to attach it to the rack eyelights on my seatstay.

jvp
10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't like that almost every rear light is movable/adaptable. I use the planet bike superflash on one of my bikes, and like it, but I have a rear rack on another, and wanted a permanent rear light for it - hard to find. I finally bought a toplight from peter white cycles, it's a little bigger than I wanted but mounts directly to the rear of the rack.

gasman
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Planet bike vote here-it works great bright but not too bright and is pretty dang cheap.

Peter B
10-30-2009, 07:45 PM
+1 on Planet Bike Superflash.

NRRider
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
I have the Cateye that you show and it works just fine. Has lights on the sides too, which is a plus. I think it's plenty bright.

markie
10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Vote 27 for the planet bike super blinky.

I was commuting to work a couple of days ago and a co-worker saw me from almost a mile away on a different road....

RABikes2
10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
the planet bike superflash is crazy bright, small, uncomplicated, and inexpensive (around $25 or so).
This light definitely rocks! Great price, too.
RA

jpw
10-31-2009, 04:45 AM
there are rear lights & then there is DiNotte.

you can see a DiNotte light a mile back.

Seeing the light a mile back is not relevant - a vehicle a mile behind you can't hit you from there. It's the final 300 feet that really counts. I recommend a light with two independent simultaneous settings, where constant and flashing LEDs are possible at the same time. Never use flashing alone as it stops the driver from assessing accurately the rate at which he/she is closing in on the cyclist from behind. I also recommend orange reflectors over red even though red is not officially sanctioned - they reflect far more light back to the driver than red. Something on the calf/ heel/ pedal is also still a very good indicator of 'bike'.

Bob Ross
11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Planet Bike Superflash

The super flash works great.

Planet bike vote here-it works great bright but not too bright and is pretty dang cheap.

+1 on Planet Bike Superflash.

Vote 27 for the planet bike super blinky.

Well, I see my work here is done...

rugbysecondrow
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Seeing the light a mile back is not relevant - a vehicle a mile behind you can't hit you from there. It's the final 300 feet that really counts. I recommend a light with two independent simultaneous settings, where constant and flashing LEDs are possible at the same time. Never use flashing alone as it stops the driver from assessing accurately the rate at which he/she is closing in on the cyclist from behind. I also recommend orange reflectors over red even though red is not officially sanctioned - they reflect far more light back to the driver than red. Something on the calf/ heel/ pedal is also still a very good indicator of 'bike'.

I am no expert on commuting or lights, but I am hesitant to use colors other that what is the standard. Also, there was a good blip about this at bicycling.com (http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/) that discusses this issue specifically from a legal and safety perspective.

Also, based on your criteria, what light do you recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

jpw
11-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I am no expert on commuting or lights, but I am hesitant to use colors other that what is the standard. Also, there was a good blip about this at bicycling.com (http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/) that discusses this issue specifically from a legal and safety perspective.

John Forester goes into this at length in his book Effective Cycling. I did some ad hoc tests and orange is so much brighter than red. I'm not advocating cycling without red, just adding orange.

rugbysecondrow
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
John Forester goes into this at length in his book Effective Cycling. I did some ad hoc tests and orange is so much brighter than red. I'm not advocating cycling without red, just adding orange.

Thanks, I will look into it. Also, since I too am looking into a light, which one do you recommend?

Thanks,

Paul

rwsaunders
11-01-2009, 11:27 AM

That's why orange rear turn signals make sense on a car too.

BengeBoy
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I own several different rear lights, including a Planet Bike Superflash.

For my commute - which includes several miles of riding on a twisty, two-lane road with no shoulders and no streetlights, often in the rain - I trust a Dinotte.

My "Superflash" is my backup. My Dinotte is my "real" light.

Blue Jays
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
My technique is twin Planet Bike SuperFlash lights when out after dusk or beyond.
One on rear tirebag set to solid illumination while helmet-mounted lights goes in blinky mode.

xjoex
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I use a bunch of blinkies, one on the seat, one on the bag, and one on the helmet. The helmet one is a Princeton Tec Swerve, helmet and seat are a good combo I think.

-Joe

dekindy
11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
http://vetta.com/product_show.asp?ptype=whole&id=60

Next to the more expensive Dinotte's this is the most effectiv tail light I have seen. It takes 4 not 2, AA's not AAA's, and is very bright with 20 LED's. It reminds me of a slow moving farm farm machinery flashing light which since I am riding out in the country is what I would like cars viewing me from a distance to mistake me for, a big, wide, slow moving obstacle.

Criticisms are that it only has 3 modes (high, low, low, slow flashing-1per second, defintitely not a strobe), bulky, and no side visibility. I use it in tandem with the Cateye TL-LD600 which has lots of side visibility. The TL-LD610 is the current version. Any of the Blackburn MARS models would compliment it or any other tail light with side visibility. I believe in redundancy.

I put this self leveling light on the helmet. I wish there were a brighter option but I like the up high concept and self leveling is the only way to overcome the directionality of most LED tail lights.
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3010.html

I also use reflective tape for side visibility and some biking buddies gave me some wheel stem mounted lights that are effective.

JumpStart
11-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I use a bunch of blinkies, one on the seat, one on the bag, and one on the helmet. The helmet one is a Princeton Tec Swerve, helmet and seat are a good combo I think.

-Joe
+1
Leave no excuse to not see you.

Ahneida Ride
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM

With all due respect, I have to take somewhat exception.

I ride with mt DiNotte flashing during the day. There is no doubt
that cars give me more room. Cars actually seem to appreciate that
I make them notice me.

As a driver, I like as much alert time as possible to notify me that
a cyclist is up ahead. This way I can asses the situation and make
appropriate adjustments. 1 mile is just fine with me. But the last
few 100 yards are the most important. Problem is this ...
view a DiNotte from 300 yards back.
view (your favorite 25-75 frn) blinker at that distance.
I rest my case.

At night, Don't run the flash mode on the Dinotte. It will drive
motorists bonkers. Run on steady mode and aim it down !!!!

I had a Peekup truck throw a Pizza box (half full) at me
running the Dinotte at night in flash mode. It happened about
100 yards from the Serotta factory.

I ride with a Orange helmet and Orange shirt of some sort.
Ok, I look like a Dufus (what else is new?) but the cars do see me.

The Planet Bike big flash is on my helmet.

Why do people ride with dark clothes and black helmets ?
and no flasher at all ?

GBD
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
This is the brightest light you will ever find.
Commercial grade that will last.
http://www.inovalight.com/247.html

fiamme red
11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I ride with a Orange helmet and Orange shirt of some sort. Ok, I look like a Dufus (what else is new?) but the cars do see me.http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66173

whitecda
11-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I've been really happy with Blackburn Mars 3.0. Very bright (I always get comments on how bright) and 2 yellow/orange side lights. They've now come out with a 4.0 so the 3 is dropping in price too I've noticed. Just a little bonus.

old fat man
11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
looks like probikekit has a version of the planet bike superflash for $8 less

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=M0004

using 10pbk or pbk10 gets you another $1.80 off the price

ahumblecycler
11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I use to ride with the Knog Bullfrog rear red light 5-LED, but it decided to "hop" away somewhere during my commute into work. I plan to move my white LED to my seat post and hope my HV-yellow will keep vehicles from running me over on my commute home.

Tom
11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
One morning in the pitch dark I saw my neighbor cross the 4-way at the end of our street, he had an HID light going in front and a couple of taillights. One on the bike and one on his hat. Even though I know who he is and that he commutes to work at that time, at first I simply did not know what I was seeing and that it was something to avoid hitting.

That's when I immediately ordered the Cateye for myself because of the side lights. It makes a huge difference. It used to be far more often I had false starts at stop signs because cars just wouldn't see me and jump the intersection.

flydhest
11-02-2009, 10:16 AM
My view is that, in general, it can't hurt to have a light to help cars that want to see you see you. That said, if you are relying on lights or bright clothing to protect you from cars, I think you are on borrowed time. Multiple times, in broad daylight, cars have done things intentionally malicious, but more importantly, have simply not seen me or other cyclists.

By all means, have lights on your bike, but ride as if you did not.

William
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
This will get you noticed. :rolleyes: :)

William

RABikes2
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
looks like probikekit has a version of the planet bike superflash for $8 less
Because of the price difference, we tested both lights (fresh batteries) at the shop. The Planet Bike Superflash is definitely brighter.
RA

djg
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM

William

yeah, sure, but not in a good way -- I probably look like crap in a halter top (plus, with some of us it might be hard to see the writing through the back hair).

false_Aest
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
yeah, sure, but not in a good way -- I probably look like crap in a halter top (plus, with some of us it might be hard to see the writing through the back hair).

beat me to it.

cdimattio
11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone compare the Nite Rider Cherry Bomb to the Cateye TL-LD1100?

With daylight savings comin' I gotta get somethin'

Any other suggestions under $50?

I have had very bad luck with the Niterider Cherry Bomb. The light, batteries and such have a habit of separating from the black plastic base (with the hanging clip) with any significant bump or pothole. These lights are not cheap, and I have lost two of them. Based upon my small sample, I would steer clear.

I do believe the Niterider is brighter than the Cateye alternative, and it is comparable in lighting performance to the Planet Bike SuperFlash.

Unforunately I think the Niterider has a design issue, while the Planet Bike has been flawless.

Ahneida Ride
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
William

Let's get back to basics. :banana:

Flyman is right. Ride as if you were invisible.
Lights can replace common sense.

Willy
11-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I got a pair of these (reelights http://www.reelight.com/ ) lights that have a capacitor and magnets you attach to the wheels. They generate light as you move and have enough juice to keep flashing at stop lights. I still use a seperate seat flasher and headlight but it's nice to have them there and on all the time I am ridding and not have to think about batteries and turning them on. Not super bright but one more element.

Ozz
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Let's get back to basics. :banana:

Flyman is right. Ride as if you were invisible.
Lights cannot replace common sense.
fixed for you... :beer:

false_Aest
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I got a pair of these (reelights http://www.reelight.com/ ) lights that have a capacitor and magnets you attach to the wheels. They generate light as you move and have enough juice to keep flashing at stop lights. I still use a seperate seat flasher and headlight but it's nice to have them there and on all the time I am ridding and not have to think about batteries and turning them on. Not super bright but one more element.

Am I missing something on their site? Why am I not seeing examples of set-up, etc? Is it not there or am i navigating stupid?

Dekonick
11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I got a pair of these (reelights http://www.reelight.com/ ) lights that have a capacitor and magnets you attach to the wheels. They generate light as you move and have enough juice to keep flashing at stop lights. I still use a separate seat flasher and headlight but it's nice to have them there and on all the time I am ridding and not have to think about batteries and turning them on. Not super bright but one more element.

Interesting. I like that they are always functioning. I might get one or two to try out. Obviously, this is just supplemental to other safety lights, reflective material, and good bike awareness and handling skills.

Keith A
11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I see that Planet Bike has the "stealth" model of the Superflash. Anyone know what is the idea behind the clear cover? Or if the stealth model would be more or less desirable than the standard Superflash?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/planetbike/media/3034_1.jpghttp://ecom1.planetbike.com/planetbike/media/3034.jpg

Keith A
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Price Point has these for $18
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=16526&style_id=225%20PLBSF7

And here's a lengthy review of this on the Candlepower forum...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=240120

keevon
11-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I see that Planet Bike has the "stealth" model of the Superflash. Anyone know what is the idea behind the clear cover? Or if the stealth model would be more or less desirable than the standard Superflash?
I have the standard SF, a coworker has the stealth SF. They both blink red and put out the same intensity. I think the stealth version is for the fashion-concious... when a white/red plastic blinky clashes with your black frame :rolleyes:

thwart
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Here's some info from RKP on the Blackburn Flea combo:

http://redkiteprayer.com/?p=1134

Can you imagine telling a cyclist 25 years ago that you could have a functional bike light (yes, headlight) that weighed less than an ounce... ? :rolleyes:

Mr. Squirrel
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
we find these useful....

http://www.treehugger.com/squirrel-light.jpg

.....for night hunting wade pattons.....

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/solar_squirrel-custom.jpg

mr. squirrel

dave-j
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I am a Dinotte fan. I've told this story many times, but I ride a lot before work and often in the dark Last year I was on a solo ride when a cop made the effort to chase me down and ask me to pull over. He then asked what kind of lights I was using. Told him Dinotte front and rear and then demo'd the various modes for him.

He said he wished everybody used Dinotte's before getting back in his cruiser and taking off.

dawgie
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
With my Planet Bike Superflash, I have had other drivers on several occasions pull up beside me and compliment me on how bright the light is. One was a trucker in a semi.

That said, I bought a Dinotte 140 tail-light last fall, and it blows away the Superflash. I still use the SF as a backup because sometimes I forget to change the batteries in the Dinotte.

Bob Ross
11-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I have the standard SF, a coworker has the stealth SF. They both blink red and put out the same intensity. I think the stealth version is for the fashion-concious... when a white/red plastic blinky clashes with your black frame :rolleyes:

It's true. My wife bought the Stealth version for her black Cannondale...but only after confirming that it was 100% identical in performance to the original.