PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Fixed Gear Double is in the bag

RudAwkning
10-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Back from Death Valley. 2nd time down there this month (first was for Furnace Creek 508 relay team).

It's funny that the first thing on my cycling "to do" list for 2009 was the last thing I'd accomplish. An "unofficial" Fixed Gear California Triple Crown.

Death Valley Fall Double was the task this time. The temperatures were mild. The wind was nominal. If I'd been on a geared bike, I'd have probably beat last year's time of 14hrs 15mins. Instead I decided to choose 1 gear (well, 2 actually as I had a bailout gear on the flop side of my flip hub).

As usual, went out way too hard. I was in the 2nd wave of riders. By mile 60, I'd bridged up and passed many of the 1st wave riders. Then the cramps kicked in. And wouldn't subside til the end of the ride.

I was very fortunate to have my friend Nicole there, who was on her way to her first Triple Crown. We'd ride the rest of the day together. She even waited for me at the thop of Mud Canyon for 50 minutes while I walked the last 2.5 miles of 7% grade.

Finished 7 minutes before the 17 hour cutoff. Just an hour less than the total drive time to/from Furnace Creek.

The season's over for me. I can get back to doing some club rides and seeing lots of my friends who I hadn't had a chance to ride with this year.

We'll see what next year brings!

Smiley
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
RudMan, ur one crazy dude. How tough is your friend Nicole wow

merlinmurph
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Yup, definitely one sick guy - I love it.

I've caught your posts on your other fixie doubles, and sit there with my mouth agape. I feel so inadequate. ;)

Anyways, I nominate your fixie as the Sexiest Bike 2009.

Murph

MIN
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Let's see a pic of this bike. :banana:

rcnute
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Man of Steel.

Dustin
10-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Were you the guy on the stainless steel fixie? (I was on the green Kirk).

Congrats on your fixie triple crown! I think I'll give the triple crown a shot for next year, but not fixed!

RudAwkning
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Were you the guy on the stainless steel fixie? (I was on the green Kirk).

Congrats on your fixie triple crown! I think I'll give the triple crown a shot for next year, but not fixed!

Hey! What's up? That was me. How'd the rest of your ride go? Sweet ride. My Kirk took me through my first Triple Crown.

Snagged these shots from the Adventure Corps website. You, me and my friend Nicole.

My friend once said this about our first 300k brevet. "Don't even think about doing a brevet......just do it!"

Same thing applies to anything on a bike really. Nothing to it but to do it. Let me know which ones you'll be rolling next year once Chuck has the calendar up :D

RudAwkning
10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Let's see a pic of this bike. :banana:

Here's the partner in crime :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=40613

Dustin
10-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey! What's up? That was me. How'd the rest of your ride go? Sweet ride. My Kirk took me through my first Triple Crown.

It all went pretty smoothly, for the most part. The wind in Nevada was not my friend, and the final climb was tough, but all in all, what an absolutely beautiful and inspiring place to ride!

My buddy Jacek and I finished in 14hrs on the nose, which didn't seem bad for our first double.

Next year: I'm thinking Solvang and Death Valley in the spring. After that, who knows?

thwart
10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Here's the partner in crime :D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=40613
See, that's your problem. If you had a half-way decent bike, you wouldn't be eating Nicole's dust. :D

RudAwkning
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
See, that's your problem. If you had a half-way decent bike, you wouldn't be eating Nicole's dust. :D

Well, when I was on her wheel I had the best view in the house :D

I coaxed her into her first 200k in January. Then convinced her to sign up for DVF. She decided to accompany me on LAGT and once she finished, figured why not shoehorn one more in (Knoxville Double) before DVF for her Triple Crown. I'm super proud of her. And I've finally gotten her on a fixie. She'll be doing her first fixed gear century in a couple weeks when we ride from Oakland to Davis.

And here's someone I finally got to meet in person (and not just in passing as I did on FC508). George Vargas is his name and he's a beast on the bike. 2 time RAAM 2 person relay finisher and 4 time FC508 finisher (he's even done it on a fixed gear!) amongst other rides. New inspiration for me.

He was a treat to talk to at Scotty's Castle and he, his girlfriend Brandy, and 4 year old son waited at the finish line until midnight to see me roll in! I was quite flattered.

http://epictrain.blogspot.com/

totally_fixxate
11-01-2009, 06:08 AM
what brand are your XL bottles?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=63086&stc=1

sjbraun
11-01-2009, 08:07 AM
So I was feeling all proud of myself for compling my longest fixed gear ride, 82 miles yesterday.

Always someone faster, stronger, better looking...

Congrats on your ride.

Steve-prepping for a fixed century in 3 weeks

djg
11-01-2009, 08:58 AM
effin' H man

So just out of morbid curiosity, what gear were you turning?

RudAwkning
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
what brand are your XL bottles?

Just our standard shop bottles from www.basicbottles.com. I like the big 30oz tall boys for longer, hotter, dry rides. Those few extra ozs. make a big difference!

effin' H man

So just out of morbid curiosity, what gear were you turning?

Typically run a 50x19 which comes out to about a 71 gear inch. It got me through 99% of my rides this year (except for walking up mud canyon, which was due more to my leg cramps than the gearing).

totally_fixxate
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Just our standard shop bottles from www.basicbottles.com.
I like the big 30oz tall boys for longer, hotter, dry rides.
Those few extra ozs. make a big difference!
Yep, where I live you need the xtra capacity.
My Maxi-cincio's(+/- 34 oz.)have so far, turned out to be leakers.
Wish Specialized made a bigger bottle.

Thanx-