PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Toasters

jblande
10-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Is anyone using these? Care to share your thoughts or experiences?

I was struck by the price, but am curious about how well they function. I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Joel

paulrad9
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I was looking for something to keep my feed warm during the -20+C winters we get here I read that they are canankerous at best. I instead opted to buying a pair of mountain shoes one size larger so I can wear them with thick wool socks. This worked out well and was cheaper.

Another option is to throw a pair of these in your shoes (http://www.polarwrap.com/default.aspx?pid=1&sid=37&show=)

Bobbo
10-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Got 'em, and they work. I'll be going on my third season with mine. Pricey, yes; but slick, too. They are thermostatically set at around 100 deg. F, so the heating effect is subtle. At first, I wasn't sure they were working right, because my feet didn't get markedly hot, but the bottom line is my feet stay comfortable winter long. Recommended.

wgp
10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I haven't used them, but thought you might like this link to a review on Pez:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4667

happycampyer
11-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Got 'em, and they work. I'll be going on my third season with mine. Pricey, yes; but slick, too. They are thermostatically set at around 100 deg. F, so the heating effect is subtle. At first, I wasn't sure they were working right, because my feet didn't get markedly hot, but the bottom line is my feet stay comfortable winter long. Recommended.+1

Pricey, but they work really well. I'm also a big fan of the Grabber toe warmers, and if I forget to charge the Toasters, a Grabber toe warmer over top of my foot is usually enough to keep my feet—and especially my toes—warm. It takes a couple of years to break even vs. chemical heaters. Also, in other threads I have seen recommendations for ski/winter boot heaters that are cheaper, but I don't recall seeing any that have the batteries built into the soles, which is a cool feature of the Toasters.

A couple of notes:

I bought one of the first generation sold in the US, which apparently had an issue where they just stopped taking a charge. It happened to mine, and they were exchanged no questions asked. I think that the problem has been resolved so it shouldn't be an issue for you, but keep your receipt just in case.

Because the battery is in the sole, the sole is thicker than a standard Sidi insert. This causes 2 issues: first, the arch is more pronounced, which may or may not work for you. Second, at least for me, I can't fit them and my foot into my regular-size Sidi shoes. That wasn't an issue since I got the Sidi winter boots (which are much better than regular shoes with covers imo), but if you have to get another pair of shoes it will increase the effective cost of using them.

For me, keeping my feet warm is the difference between joy and misery, and if I'm miserable on a ride, I'll end up indoors. With the Toasters and winter boots, I can ride for hours in 15 - 20º weather without any problems with my feet.

Charles M
11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Same here...

I have no need at home for these things but traveled, was having a horrible time riding in the 30's and my host has my foot size and is used to cold weather...

I tried shoe covers, warming packets and the toasters.

The toasters didn't "heat" my feet. my feet just never got cold...