PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake sticks -- remedies?

dd74
10-29-2009, 11:51 PM
During an evening ride I found literally no movement from my rear brake lever. Played with as best I could at signals and stops, and realized it was really close to the rim. I arrived home to find the pads rubbing the rim in most places, and the caliper not moving at all when I pressed and let go of the lever.

Anyone have any simple (because I'm not mechanical in the least bit) remedies to try before I take this situation into the LBS?

Thanks.

hokoman
10-30-2009, 12:11 AM
is your housing sitting where it's suppose to be at every junction?

dd74
10-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh, I forgot to add these are Dura Ace 7700 brakes, if that matters.

Thx.

dd74
10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
is your housing sitting where it's suppose to be at every junction?
Yes, I believe so. At least nothing is moving around or lose.

But to be clear; housing? I'm not certain what you mean by that.

hokoman
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Yes, I believe so. At least nothing is moving around or lose.

But to be clear; housing? I'm not certain what you mean by that.

is the housing (the plastic cover of the cable) sitting in the ferrules at all cable stops (the two under the top tube?) make sure the housing is sitting in the adjuster barrel of the brake too. so these were ok before this last ride? if the housing isn't sitting where it is suppose to at the cable stops and the brake itself, it creates more tension on the cable (lengthening the distance from the lever to the caliper.

btw, i'm terrible at trying to explain it in words. but hopefully you get it.

dd74
10-30-2009, 12:28 AM
is the housing (the plastic cover of the cable) sitting in the ferrules at all cable stops (the two under the top tube?) make sure the housing is sitting in the adjuster barrel of the brake too. so these were ok before this last ride? if the housing isn't sitting where it is suppose to at the cable stops and the brake itself, it creates more tension on the cable (lengthening the distance from the lever to the caliper.

btw, i'm terrible at trying to explain it in words. but hopefully you get it.
Okay, thanks. I'll check it out.

dd74
10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Yep, looks like a cable issue. When I pull on the housing forward to the front of the bike, the caliper loosens.

maunahaole
10-30-2009, 02:11 AM
Unhook the cable and lube it. It is probably sticking in the rear section of housing (under the seat)

dd74
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Unhook the cable and lube it. It is probably sticking in the rear section of housing (under the seat)
Okay, thanks. :beer: