PDA

View Full Version : S3 fork drop outs - Safety Announcement

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
October 2009

IMPORTANT PRODUCT SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT
RE: FORKS WITH ALUMINUM DROPOUTS….including Serotta S3 forks

Throughout Serotta’s 37 year history we have always viewed product development and product improvement as an ongoing process, not necessarily confined to model years. Reflecting this ethos, we are instituting a running change to many of our front dropout profiles, making them more resistant to abuse and bending.

While all of our drop out designs have been thoroughly tested for structural integrity under normal use, recent returned samples show that damage caused by loading and unloading from carrier racks, trainers or accidental dropping of the front end may occur with less force than we’d like. The running changes to the drop outs make them more resistant to the damage cause by this abuse.

Do not attempt to straighten an aluminum drop out! A bent drop out is a failed drop out! Fork dropouts with any evidence of bending with or without visible stress cracks, should not be ridden! The fork or the drop outs must be replaced immediately!

The dropouts which have been most susceptible to abuse are the S3 dropouts with a window cut as shown below. As a gesture of our commitment to the highest standards of quality and customer support, for a limited time, we will replace the aluminum dropouts free of charge on any Serotta S3 fork with our more robust version under the following qualifications:
• Any S3 aluminum dropout that has signs of damage
• Any S3 drop out with the window relief (as shown) with or without damage

As an option, clients wishing to upgrade to titanium tipped dropouts can do so at a cost of $250.

Anyone wishing to send their S3 fork for free factory inspection is welcome to do so. Please contact forks@serotta.com . This email will direct you on how to return the fork. You must include full name as the reference number and the return address !!!!

Any further questions or concerns should be sent to: info@serotta.com

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I bent one of these on a demo bike while taking it off a roof rack. The bike got away from me, while the fork was still clamped in.

This is not a structural defect, it is a condition that occurs when a user like me is less than careful in handling the fork in a rack or a trainer.

sbornia
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Pete, can you point us to the original announcement that has the photograph referenced in the text? I looked on the "news" section of the site, but there are no recent announcements there.

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
See above, I was able to convert picture to a pnj file. PETE

cleavel
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello Pete,

I have an F3 fork on my 2007 Attack. I always assumed that the fork tips were Ti. They look like they are a Ti color and they have the window reliefs shown in your photo.

Were all of the fork tips of that configuration made of aluminum? Is it possible (probable) that mine are Ti? BTW, the fork was built in Sep or Oct 2007.

TIA for any advice that you can provide.

Also sorry that you won't be in SoCal this coming weekend.

Louis
10-29-2009, 04:28 PM
The dropouts which have been most susceptible to abuse are the S3 dropouts with a window cut as shown below.

Hindsight is 20-20, but talk about a bad / stupid place to try to shave a few grams...

Smiley
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Hello Pete,

I have an F3 fork on my 2007 Attack. I always assumed that the fork tips were Ti. They look like they are a Ti color and they have the window reliefs shown in your photo.

Were all of the fork tips of that configuration made of aluminum? Is it possible (probable) that mine are Ti? BTW, the fork was built in Sep or Oct 2007.

TIA for any advice that you can provide.

Also sorry that you won't be in SoCal this coming weekend.

This only applies to Aluminum tipped forks meaning ONLY the S3 fork is involved here

cleavel
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
This only applies to Aluminum tipped forks meaning ONLY the S3 fork is involved here

Great, thanks. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight. :)

Peter P.
10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I know this only applies to aluminum dropouts, but it prompts me to relate this story:

I had a 1984 Specialized Rockhopper with a steel fork. Heading out for a ride, my buddy clamped the bike by the front dropouts to his roof mounted Prealpina rack. We didn't make it 100yds. down the road when my bike fell over on the car, held on by only one dropout. That dropout was now bent 90 degrees. I bent it back with a crescent wrench and we went about our day.

That dropout lasted for about another two years. When it failed, I was mountain biking and one of the cantilever brake arms dove under the rim. I stopped, un-jammed it, and continued on. It did this again in a minute or two. Close examination revealed the now broken dropout. I rode the bike 5 miles home with no problems.

Pity how "dangerous" aluminum dropouts glued into carbon forks can be.

titans
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I think the early Attacks were made with Ti dropouts...

beungood
10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Anything to worry about the F1 on my Hors Cat? :bike:

jpw
11-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Hindsight is 20-20, but talk about a bad / stupid place to try to shave a few grams...

Ditto, but good action by Serotta to atone for the design 'error'.

titans
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Anything to worry about the F1 on my Hors Cat? :bike:

F1 forks have ti dropouts and I haven't heard of any failures on them. Are there any out there? I have one on my CSi and it's rock solid.