PDA

View Full Version : Improvements to FORUM?

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 08:19 AM
As we end the year and start to make plans for 2010, I would like to solicit from youl how the Serotta Team (and us Forumites) can make the forum a better vehicle to serve your cycling interests and questions.

Additionally, how could we use it to support cycling more?

Thanks Pete

wasfast
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Make "read receipt" optional or not at all in personal messages.

Keith A
10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Upgrade to the latest vBulletin version which has better support for Google Chrome.

William
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Send me a case of Red for my viewing pleasure. :beer: :D

William

CNY rider
10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
More from Ben and the highly skilled folks on the inside.
I love reading posts from Ben, Brian Smith etc.

nahtnoj
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Show us what is going on inside the Serotta factor(ies) on a regular basis.

fourflys
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
more friendly for handheld devices like balckberry's, etc?

Avispa
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM

I think that (optional) choice is there.... Just hit "Cancel" when the pop-up window comes up. You won't get a read receipt if you hit cancel.

..A..

Avispa
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I think the FORUM should be designed a bit as the format of the Weight Weenies Forum.

...And like the Admins on that forum, move or delete new and subsequent Threads that are not placed where they should be. Often I see many Threads posted where they do not belong.

Other than that, I think William's suggestion should be taken very seriously. ;)

..A..

Karin Kirk
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
More from Ben and the highly skilled folks on the inside.
I love reading posts from Ben, Brian Smith etc.

+1 on this. However, it seems that these posts often get flamed to oblivion, which is a real shame. I'd be temped to post them, then lock the threads so they are announcements rather than an invitation for endless Monday morning quarterbacking.

I think something else that would be valuable would be some information/insight/flashbacks about Serotta's history and the development of some of the product lines (including products that aren't offered any more). There seems to be plentiful interest in this topic, with frequent forum questions about older frames and forks. The forum seems like a logical place to archive this information.

How could the forum promote cycling in general? I'd like to see threads about interesting events, remarkable people (like the Evelyn Stevens thread), industry insights, drool-worthy cycling accessories, worthy causes that merit our attention, and other cycling-related news. Sort of like what Louis does with New York Times articles every so often.

OK, one more idea... some "other" cycling forum displays photos from each week showing cool things in production. Serotta could benefit from a similar thing, including some photos and props to the fine folks who are crafting these frames.

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Send me a case of Red for my viewing pleasure. :beer: :D

William

and the viewing might become somewhat blurred!!! :beer: but a very good idea.

I am going to head up to Saratoga the week after Thanksgiving and discuss the ideas and forum updates with AMY and BEN>>

PETE

Karin Kirk
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Can you make that handy 'ignore' button work in real life, on regular people? That would be ever so helpful!
:p :p :p

Avispa
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
....I'd be temped to post them, then lock the threads so they are announcements rather than an invitation for endless Monday morning quarterbacking...

Actually Karin,

I am not for locking of threads; I think threads that do not seem appropriate, should actually be DELETED altogether!

..A..

Ti Designs
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
How could the forum promote cycling in general?

That's easy. Shut down the forum, put up a page that just says "go ride your bike".

Damn, it's sunny out, what am I doing here?

rspecker
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
MORE INFORMATION FROM SEROTTA

Examples:

What are the all factors that go into deciding the "stock" geometry?

You talk about Serrota in the Olympics--what have you learned from that? Did you learn about how to enable riders to develop more power and is that reflected in the geometry/design/materials of your bikes? If so, in what ways and how can riders out here purchase a bike that really fits and really maximizes these benefits?

How do you get a great fit? How does fit impact generating power on a bike. Be really, really specific about this. How does Serotta think about these issues? Presumably these issues are considered in selecting the stock geometry and materials, etc.--so tell us how they are considered. I know the issue of fit is complicated and there are lots of opinions. So what? I want Serotta's view and how it impacts the bikes it builds.

Tell us more about the ride attributes of the different bikes--be more specific than the general marketing buzz. Give us ride reports, and stats, and geometry diferences and the impact of all of these things. Why do you build the different bikes and what will that mean for the rider?

What technical information do you have about Serotta bikes that differentiates them from other bikes? Yes, I'm happy that the tubing is from the US. But tell me more than that--techniques, tolerances, stiffness, design. And how all the relates to what Serotta has learned about making riders go faster. After all, it really is all about improving performance (and maybe comfort).

IMHO this forum is great, but there is too little accurate, detailed, timely information about Serotta bikes. This forum is actually a better source of information about North American Handmade Bicycles. I enjoy that information too--but what I really want is information about how to buy a Serotta bike (or why I would buy a Serotta bike) that could make me a better rider.

Serotta bikes are expensive, so Serotta needs to articulate why they are spectacular. And you need to be specific.

I think it is a mistake to assume that your retailers have the expertise to recommend the right bike and get a great fit for every rider. You need to use this forum to provide LOTS of information that buyers can use to shop for Serotta bikes and know that they are picking the right bike, maximizing the attributes of the bike they want, getting the right fit, etc.

I hope you figure out a way to pump up the value of the content on this forum--it really is a great tool. Use it!

oldpotatoe
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
That's easy. Shut down the forum, put up a page that just says "go ride your bike".

Damn, it's sunny out, what am I doing here?

Is your website working?

can't seem to get it

http://www.ti-designs.com

pjmsj21
10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I agree with the suggestion of more input directly from Ben and others within the organization. I realize that this is a commitment of time that is already too sparse, but I am confident that posts from Ben and others would be the most widely read and enjoyed.

I think it would be also great to read more about some of the members perhaps in a profile manner. For instance age, cycling history, types of riding, where they ride, accomplishment and the role of cycling in their lives..etc.

It is already a great forum but I appreciate the maturity of thoughts and ideas expressed by the members along with the inclusiveness.

Pat Mc

fatboyinva
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Here's my thought:

Allow forum and/or serotta bicycle club members the availability to lookup Serotta bicycle frame geometry spec's. (e.g. Seat tube length/angles, Top tube length/angles/slopes, wheelbase, headtube length etc...).

As a frequent classified viewer I'm always on the lookout for used Serotta gear. It's amazing how many Serotta classified bicylcle advertisements don't list geometry information. And in some cases I wouldn't trust the measurements. This would be a great resource for validation prior to purchase of second hand gear and could be used for self service in helping customers plan for new custom purchases.

thanks

Dekonick
10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Allow more private messages. I am always at or near my message limit...

timto
10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd like to see cool stuff in the production line. MIght just be walking around with a camera, taking 6 pics and posting them. Every friday - new thread from the inside team with some new hotness. I know I'd eagerly await this thread.

Gets the fires stoked, shows what is happening on the production floor. Gets us inspired to see people that care for their stuff and what they make and what others are stoked about.

And to see this once every week - and be low frills to not eat up too much of anyones time over there.

IF does this with their blog but sometimes it's fancy showroom style photos - which are fine - but the raw in progress ones are the ones that get me the most excited.

FWIW

RPS
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I am not for locking of threads; I think threads that do not seem appropriate, should actually be DELETED altogether!

..A..
Is that what happened to the car thread? I can't find it locked or otherwise.

Why would a car thread get locked or deleted? :confused:

Keith A
10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Allow more private messages. I am always at or near my message limit...+1

tuscanyswe
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
+1

+1

Marcusaurelius
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I like more inside information but I am also inetrested in the history of the company and the bikes.

1centaur
10-29-2009, 05:09 PM
While it would be interesting to hear thoughts from the crew about how things should be done, it is clear that this creates an opening to debate the merits of the corporate (or Ben's) view. This can undermine the positive marketing elements as casual observers/visitors get a mixed message about Serotta's worth. This risk exists even if the thread is locked to make it an announcement - reactive threads can be opened easily enough.

Look around at successful builders and their reputations and I think you'll often find that they gain marketing strength from their personality at least as much as the uniqueness of their building ideas. That's what's lacking here - Serotta's personality. That can be brought out in ways other than talking about how and why the factory does what it does. Blogging about other positive stuff, linking to interesting articles on cycling, showing the personal rides of employees - if those things are done consistently the personality behind the brand will become evident. We never get much sense what kind of people build and create Serotta bikes but the "good people" ethos sells a lot of bikes. The links and blogs can also serve to support cycling in general as Serotta employees spot items they think are worth highlighting. Those highlighted will in turn become more aware of Serotta.

Elefantino
10-29-2009, 05:21 PM
A separate image gallery for Jack Brunk's bikes.

rphetteplace
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
bring back Viper!

Climb01742
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
i'd like to build on what 1centaur wrote. having a forum is wonderful. but having a digital strategy for communicating and promoting serotta is far different and far bigger than simply having a forum. in fact, "improving" the forum may be a distraction and not the wisest way to use scarce resources and budgets. in some ways, the forum is doing all it can and should. my suggestion would be to do more and different forms of digital communications that more broadly and deeply bring the serotta brand and people to life. but that would entail a serious, sustained commitment. i have the impression that serotta "dabbles" at truly marketing themselves. stop dabbling. the good news is that digital forms of communications, while not cheap or easy, are far cheaper than older, more traditional forms of media.

let the forum be what it presently is. spend your time and energies creating other communication channels that will bring serotta to life in new ways. you're trying to be a major league brand with minor league marketing. but hey, a barber always thinks you need a haircut, right? ;)

dannyg1
10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Allow more private messages. I am always at or near my message limit...

And/or make it so that you can forward private messages to your own email. I'm not thinking that an 'away' button be set-up, I'm thinking more of a 'clean-up your inbox' by forwarding messages you'd like to keep, away to your email.

thwart
10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Danny, I just download the PM's as text (see the dropdown menu) and save 'em on my drive. Then delete them from the Forum's website.

Now, do you think I should start cleaning out all those PM's from the past 4 years... ? :rolleyes:

Pete Serotta
10-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Have had this type of discussion with Serotta management and will be having it again in NOVEMBER>

Please keep in mind that at this point the forum is the members, the moderators, and Ben being gracious enough to pay for the service. Any FORUM enhancements would be the efforts of the moderators in using the tools that "HOSTWAYS" offers us in support of the current WEB service.

I spent my past life managing multiple industry IT organizations within companies where the primary objective was to turn information into a tactical and a strategic asset.

It is a multi faceted undertaking which
includes day to day management of the business via the operational information and also the measurement information needed to make modifications to the business. (tactical)

it results in managing the day to day by using processes and implementing applications supported by technology. (WEB or HOST based)

Besides the day to day management, the data (knowledge and information) resulting from these activities enables the analysis of operational processes, of customer and industry trends, and correction of business mistakes/misses.

Strategically (one to two years) the information assists the company in determining anticipated (based on the information) future directions that would lead to a product advantage (either in technology, service, and/or product and company awareness).

Marketing, Financial Management, Product Manufacturing, Product Development, Customer Service, etc are all part of the "umbrella" that can be supported with technology (as you well know).

I agree with you that the foundation must be a plan, the commitment to follow thru on the plan, and a set of processes and tools that allow a company to manage and execute on the plan.

Naturally in the current environment one would need to identify the short term, as well as long term, projects and the length of time it would take to return on the $$ investment.

Ben and his new Chief Operations Officer are keenly aware of the demands and needs of the business in this environment.

We have a audience on the forum which includes subject matter experts that could assist us in developing the requirements, evaluating the options, quantifying the actions needed, and then developing the solutions.

Climb, you are one of those experts in Marketing, Keith and others have tremendous information (IT) technology skills and experiences, there are many other out there who have WEB and customer knowledge.

The WEB and using technology for small and medium companies is becoming cheaper every day. It is and will be the "life blood" for companies of this size in marketing and managing their business in the future.

Sorry for the rambling but this is an area that I am very passionate about...Yeah I am weird... :crap:

i'd like to build on what 1centaur wrote. having a forum is wonderful. but having a digital strategy for communicating and promoting serotta is far different and far bigger than simply having a forum. in fact, "improving" the forum may be a distraction and not the wisest way to use scarce resources and budgets. in some ways, the forum is doing all it can and should. my suggestion would be to do more and different forms of digital communications that more broadly and deeply bring the serotta brand and people to life. but that would entail a serious, sustained commitment. i have the impression that serotta "dabbles" at truly marketing themselves. stop dabbling. the good news is that digital forms of communications, while not cheap or easy, are far cheaper than older, more traditional forms of media.

let the forum be what it presently is. spend your time and energies creating other communication channels that will bring serotta to life in new ways. you're trying to be a major league brand with minor league marketing. but hey, a barber always thinks you need a haircut, right? ;)

William
10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Pete, what about Executive Security Services? Who is going to fill that roll? It's a niche that needs to be filled by one with Exec security experience as well as rodent exterminating skills. Who? Hmmmmm.....

William :)

rugbysecondrow
10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it works as it is supposed to and works well. I have met people to ride with, learned quite a few things and bought and sold bike stuff...can't ask for much more than that.

I appreciate the efforts of those that make this forum possible.

Cheers,

Paul

Keith A
10-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Allow more private messages. I am always at or near my message limit...Is 100 better? Check your PMs :)

Steve in SLO
10-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Pete,
All involved have created a really unique place on the web that is comfortable (usually) and informative. I don't even own a Serotta anymore but this is such a great forum that I like to hang out and contribute, so kudos to all.

It'd be cool to see a regular feature profiling employees of the company, esp those in the trenches--those cutting and mitering the tubes, doing layups and brazing, etc. I'd really put a face on just who makes the bikes and what they're about. It could be as simple as a single pic and a short statement written by the person.

It would also be nice to have a way to post routes of fav rides and keep them in archives, kind of like mapmyride or strava.

Encouragement of Serotta-sponsored rides across the country: Have regional rides identified with the Serotta name. I am sure you'd find a number of volunteers to lead them here on the forum. Perhaps local forumites could form the core and invite friends. Send out a few stickers, catalogues, water bottles, and t-shirts to the leaders to 'spread the word' in a local, grass roots way. This would not be an official sponsorship, since there are still lawyers around, but it might bring more into the fold, sell bikes, and would get us to meet each other in person.
I volunteer to lead a road ride or a CX trail ride in SLO this winter--There...I'm first!

Climb01742
10-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Have had this type of discussion with Serotta management and will be having it again in NOVEMBER>

Please keep in mind that at this point the forum is the members, the moderators, and Ben being gracious enough to pay for the service. Any FORUM enhancements would be the efforts of the moderators in using the tools that "HOSTWAYS" offers us in support of the current WEB service.

I spent my past life managing multiple industry IT organizations within companies where the primary objective was to turn information into a tactical and a strategic asset.

It is a multi faceted undertaking which
includes day to day management of the business via the operational information and also the measurement information needed to make modifications to the business. (tactical)

it results in managing the day to day by using processes and implementing applications supported by technology. (WEB or HOST based)

Besides the day to day management, the data (knowledge and information) resulting from these activities enables the analysis of operational processes, of customer and industry trends, and correction of business mistakes/misses.

Strategically (one to two years) the information assists the company in determining anticipated (based on the information) future directions that would lead to a product advantage (either in technology, service, and/or product and company awareness).

Marketing, Financial Management, Product Manufacturing, Product Development, Customer Service, etc are all part of the "umbrella" that can be supported with technology (as you well know).

I agree with you that the foundation must be a plan, the commitment to follow thru on the plan, and a set of processes and tools that allow a company to manage and execute on the plan.

Naturally in the current environment one would need to identify the short term, as well as long term, projects and the length of time it would take to return on the $$ investment.

Ben and his new Chief Operations Officer are keenly aware of the demands and needs of the business in this environment.

We have a audience on the forum which includes subject matter experts that could assist us in developing the requirements, evaluating the options, quantifying the actions needed, and then developing the solutions.

Climb, you are one of those experts in Marketing, Keith and others have tremendous information (IT) technology skills and experiences, there are many other out there who have WEB and customer knowledge.

The WEB and using technology for small and medium companies is becoming cheaper every day. It is and will be the "life blood" for companies of this size in marketing and managing their business in the future.

Sorry for the rambling but this is an area that I am very passionate about...Yeah I am weird... :crap:

pete, i'd be happy to offer whatever help i can. there's a warm spot in my heart for serotta. but while i'd be happy to spend time helping serotta, what i don't want to do is waste my time. the key question is: how open and committed is serotta to genuinely marketing their brand?

Pete Serotta
10-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Keith has found the secret key to up the message count to 100..... :) Thankyou SIR!!!

We also have a pair of new sercurity experts. WILLIAM and his lead squirrel.

THANKS.

Keith A
10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Encouragement of Serotta-sponsored rides across the country: Have regional rides identified with the Serotta name. I am sure you'd find a number of volunteers to lead them here on the forum. Perhaps local forumites could form the core and invite friends. Send out a few stickers, catalogues, water bottles, and t-shirts to the leaders to 'spread the word' in a local, grass roots way. This would not be an official sponsorship, since there are still lawyers around, but it might bring more into the fold, sell bikes, and would get us to meet each other in person.I like this idea. It would be great to meet or renew friendships with the members of this forum and/or other Serotta owners/fans.

csm
10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
I might be a retrogrouch but I sorta like the forum the way it is.

rockdude
10-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I would like to see that new members must have 20 post before placing an ad in the classified section. It seems more and more people just come here to sale stuff. Lets make them stay around a while, they might like it...

WadePatton
10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
yes that chit is aggravating. and methinks many folks use it because of the wording options in the pop-up ? box, where "cancel" should be "no". no one wants to "cancel" their message at that point. so they hit "yes" and here comes another message with a string tied to it.

blooming idiotic to hie "reply to" and _also_ have to hit the "confirmation" button.

i cancel all that junk now.

1centaur
10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
If we're focusing on mundane changes (and yes, >50 PMs and changing the receipt feature are good ones), I'd add updating/replacing the picture posting sticky at the top of the image galleries. Have someone write something that gives all sorts of tips for picture posting, including references by name to photo hosting sites and specifically how they interact with the Serotta Forum. Make sure non-technical people play test the tips so we don't get one person's view of how to do things - has to work for 80% of posters easily to be worth posting.

Even better, if there's an automatic de-scaler for jpegs out there so we can dump our huge pictures into the forum and the de-scaler automatically shrinks them to the smaller of what they are or the maximum allowed, that would be great.

Having witnessed and experienced the vast range of tweaks necessary to get a nice looking picture on this forum or that forum over time, I'm pretty sure we get fewer pictures than we'd like here just for technical reasons. More big pictures means more happy forum readers.

Lifelover
10-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Me too!

As a marketing tool, there is a point of diminishing returns for the forum.

mosca
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
While I love any "behind the scenes" info that Serotta is willing to share, I can't help thinking that the forum is not the best, uh, forum for it. It's enjoyable when employees post comments here, or pics of their personal rides, but I think it's more enjoyable because it's not part of any marketing strategy but rather real human beings sharing their passions.

And please continue with the "less is more" approach to moderation - if you continue to treat us like adults, someday we may start to act like it... :D

fiamme red
10-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Is there some way to view archives of the old Hydromedia forum? There's a link at the bottom here, but it leads to a blank page.

malcolm
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM

I agree. It doesn't seem broken why fix it. I appreciate the fact that serotta provides it and what the folks do to keep it running. It seems we (people) have a problem with things that just work, we can't leave em alone. The forum just works.

SamIAm
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
And please continue with the "less is more" approach to moderation - if you continue to treat us like adults, someday we may start to act like it... :D

Couldn't agree more.

Keith A
10-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there some way to view archives of the old Hydromedia forum? There's a link at the bottom here, but it leads to a blank page.I'm getting the same thing too. I know it use to be available :confused:

Tobias
10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
IMHO there can be no effective middle ground on how the forum is run to promote the brand. I recommend Serotta first decide which approach you wish to pursue and then structure forum use accordingly. Sitting on the fence accomplishes neither well and apparently aggravates many participants on a regular basis.

I’m not suggesting a free for all; but censorship through closures, deletions, and other means is not entirely effective either. If you have a forum, you must make dissenting opinions against the brand/products a reality, and not just when it’s beneficial for other reasons. What you don’t want is this kind of reasoning:
+1 on this. However, it seems that these posts often get flamed to oblivion, which is a real shame. I'd be temped to post them, then lock the threads so they are announcements rather than an invitation for endless Monday morning quarterbacking.
Not that Karin’s plan would work anyway without a lot of additional censorship since there would be nothing in place to keep anyone from opening a new thread to discuss what was newly “announced”.

dannyg1
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd like to see [IMG] files translate into auto-display jpg's in the classifieds section (Like they do in other forum sections).

Mr. Squirrel
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
hmmm....more articles about wheels. oh, and where you all live.

mr. squirrel

bronk
10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Split the classified section into two lists -- WTB and FS. If I'm buying, I'm buying. If I'm selling, I'm selling. Rarely both at the same time.

GuyGadois
10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see [IMG] files translate into auto-display jpg's in the classifieds section (Like they do in other forum sections).

Yes, this would be a nice. Embedding images in the classifieds section would be a good enhancement for all.

-GG-

gman
10-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Split the classified section into two lists -- WTB and FS. If I'm buying, I'm buying. If I'm selling, I'm selling. Rarely both at the same time.

I do one to help with the other...

tch
10-31-2009, 10:34 AM
MORE INFORMATION FROM SEROTTA
Examples:
What are the all factors that go into deciding the "stock" geometry?

How do you get a great fit? How does fit impact generating power on a bike. Be really, really specific about this. How does Serotta think about these issues? Presumably these issues are considered in selecting the stock geometry and materials, etc.--so tell us how they are considered. I know the issue of fit is complicated and there are lots of opinions. So what? I want Serotta's view and how it impacts the bikes it builds.

Tell us more about the ride attributes of the different bikes--be more specific than the general marketing buzz. Give us ride reports, and stats, and geometry diferences and the impact of all of these things. Why do you build the different bikes and what will that mean for the rider?

IMHO this forum is great, but there is too little accurate, detailed, timely information about Serotta bikes. .

I think it is a mistake to assume that your retailers have the expertise to recommend the right bike and get a great fit for every rider. You need to use this forum to provide LOTS of information that buyers can use to shop for Serotta bikes and know that they are picking the right bike, maximizing the attributes of the bike they want, getting the right fit, etc.

I'm not sure you are getting all you can from your retailers.... I think the forum (or perhaps corporate website) should provide more of this kind of information. I'm not sure that all bike shops are taking the time or energy to work the Serotta system to its max. Bike shops, like all businesses, try to maximize the income and minimize the outgo (of time and energy). This may result in Serotta getting the short shrift if there's a stock corporate bike sitting on the floor that needs to get unloaded.

jumpjube
10-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Here's another appreciation for what we have right now.

BTW, "Archive" still takes me to thousands of old posts -- been there many, many times and sometimes still visit.

54ny77
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
1) no need for the "read receipt" thing on pm's.
2) as some have already said, ability to embed/link images directly in the classifieds.
3) more cool factory stuff--photos, videos, interviews w/employees, etc. (highlight a "process of the month" perhaps, if it doesn't give away the trade secrets). i spent about 45 min. or so chatting it up with one of the paint/finish guys at battenkill earlier this year, and was fascinated with the process. would enjoy seeing that kind of thing here. pez cycling news, for example, did a story on you guys that was incredible (the build & finish of his pearl & maroon custom build).

cadence90
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I like 54ny77's suggestions.

Plus this one:

4) No advertising by non-Serotta framebuilders allowed.

WadePatton
10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
i know this has been hashed over and over, but i have to bring it up again:

i find it a bother sifting through all the off-topic posts to find cycling content. i don't mind discussing solar panels and ipods with other cyclists, but it's not my primary reason for being here.

thanks mods and those who care enough to keep this thing up and running.

jpw
11-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Limit to 100/ 200 maximum (or less) the number of posts allowed by a member who doesn't own a Serotta, and then unlimit it after they've shelled out. 100/ 200 is enough to do the research and ask the necessary questions, and it keeps it all succinct and relevant. Keeps the trolls away.

You could even have an exclusive section for owners with their frame number as the logon.

RkyMtn
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
I would prefer the following change:

Split the Classifieds into 2 separate forums:
1. Wanted
2. For Sale/Trade

WadePatton
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Limit to 100/ 200 maximum (or less) the number of posts allowed by a member who doesn't own a Serotta, and then unlimit it after they've shelled out. 100/ 200 is enough to do the research and ask the necessary questions, and it keeps it all succinct and relevant. Keeps the trolls away.

You could even have an exclusive section for owners with their frame number as the logon.
really now?

maybe you don't realize how many good folks here don't own one of ben's bikes, and are simply here for the conversation.

or maybe you do. :bike:

GuyGadois
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM

1. Wanted
2. For Sale/Trade

Not sure about if you really should do this. Seems like a bunch of extra clicks and seeing them together works because people are able to connect wants and haves.

GuyGadois
11-02-2009, 10:55 PM

How about you only get 250 posts per frame purchased (new)? Ok, kidding.

WadePatton
11-02-2009, 11:00 PM

1. Wanted
2. For Sale/Trade
it's pretty much s/o/p to put "wtb" or "fs" in the title in classified titles. maybe add that to the "sticky" for those who don't know. classifieds etiquette?

because i agree that it sucks to see _just what you're looking for_ in the title, click on it, only to find out that the other person is looking as well, not listing.

WadePatton
11-02-2009, 11:03 PM
How about you only get 250 posts per frame purchased (new)? Ok, kidding.
hey, i think i saw a rusted out one a while back...i could buy that for forum's sake.

likewise kidding, but i really did see the horrors of oxidation destroyed high-end bikes recently-several makes.

cheers.

Blue Jays
11-02-2009, 11:05 PM
"...I find it a bother sifting through all the off-topic posts to find cycling content.
I don't mind discussing solar panels and ipods with other cyclists, but it's not my primary reason for being here..."AGREED!
Definitely need an Off-Topic subforum.

William
11-03-2009, 04:03 AM
AGREED!
Definitely don't need an Off-Topic subforum.

Agreed!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=57030&highlight=poll

William :p ;) :D

WadePatton
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
see-that is a "hot button" issue. good thing this isn't a forum election year.

at least the classifieds are now restricted to "cycling content". snicker.

i only brought it up because we were asked. yo.

cheers and ot's to ya all.

wp

Pete Serotta
11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
appreciate all the comments that folks are offering.....two of the items will not be coming anytime soon...

1 Managing two sections under classifieds - if we ever vote to charge for ads then maybe this one can be discussed again.

2 Only for Serotta Owners... do not see this one ever being implemented... this is a cycling forum sponsored by Ben. We do sell some frames as a result of it, and we wish it was more, but we all love cycling and this is a sharing of that love. BTW, I did see a squirrel on a 48cm Serotta the other day.... it was riding with some guy on a blue Bedford!!!

Cycling related item only - - yeah we(me especially) are not too good for that. There are lots of folks here with LOTS of knowledge on many things that can and should be shared.

Serotta rides or Forum events - - - ALL cyclist and non cyclist will always be welcome.... again the love of cycling.

I will open it up to the other moderators to share any other ones...

Again thanks for all the input and we will recap in the next few weeks and I will see Ben and Amy at the end of the month.

PETE

rnhood
11-05-2009, 06:41 AM
I recommend moving the "Stickies" to their own page or, just provide one link to access them. Right now they tend to fill up the top of the General Discussion page.

Steve in SLO
11-05-2009, 11:58 PM
On a related note, perhaps a sticky on the classifieds page with bikes of interest for sale elsewhere, such as CL, RBR, etc as a heads up to forum members.

Mr. Squirrel
11-06-2009, 09:56 AM
how about a nut dispencer?

mr. squirrel

CNY rider
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
how about a nut dispencer?

mr. squirrel

I think we've dispensed of quite a few.........

HSG Racer
11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Why not have Christmas raffles with serotta accessories as prizes and throw in a frame or two. I bet that this would fire up the forum especially during Christmas time.

:cool:

jpw
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Not a forum suggestion, but how about a factory webcam?