PDA

View Full Version : zipp kool-stop brake pad questions

bkboom123
10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I came across a great deal for a set of Sram Red brakes, brand new. These brakes came with kool-stop brake pads made by Zipp.

I know NOTHING about these pads, other than they are for carbon and aluminum rims?

Can I get some reviews and information on these please? Personal experience is always good!

jtferraro
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
AFAIK the Kool-Stop Zipp pads are for Zipp's carbon rims. I used to have a set of tubular 404's (all carbon) and purchased Zipp carbon-specific pads. They were black. Are the pads you're referring to also black? You can always go to www.zipp.com for more info.

bkboom123
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
yes they are black....supposedly for carbon and al braking surfaces.

TAW
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I have (actually had) a set of those and they are for carbon rims. However, I would not recommend them. I used them for my Zipp wheels and also for a set of Bontragers and was not too impressed with them. They were noisy and modulated poorly.

Charles M
10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
There have been a couple of different editions of Zipp pads. The latest work well on the rougher surface of Zipp rims. Zipp also have a cork comp set now.

Earlier black pads actually work reasonably well on Alu if you happen to have that, so no reason to toss em. You dont want to go back to carb after running them on Alu, but just sticking to aly isnt a problem. They will wear a bit quicker than most but are also pretty easy on your rims.

bkboom123
10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
ok so lets say I have a set of DA brake pads NIB (which I do), and a set of Sram brake pads NIB (which I do).....

What would be the best stopping power on a set of AL clinchers?

TAW
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
My vote would be the DA for clinchers.