PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Road Shoes in Wide Width

blschaefer1
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Seeking opinions - about time to get a new pair of road shoes.

I have wide feet and my latest pair has been Sidi Genius 5 Mega's. They were the only wide shoes I could locate at the time.

I've been happy with them overall, two years down the road and just now the padding in the heel cup is coming apart.

Always in the quest for something new and better though, so I am wondering if other manufactuers might also offer a wide width ?

Any thoughts? Thanks !

dvs cycles
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I use megas and Shimano in the E width fit me also. I went with the Sidi 6.6 because of the replacable heel pad instead of bare carbon on the Shimano.
I used to be a Carnac user but they aren't as wide anymore or at least last time I tried some on and no one carries them around here.

54ny77
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Northwave Aerlite SBS. Awesome shoes, fit my otherwise wide (9EE) feet just fine, look great, lots of nice features.

Another alternative is Specialized BG Pro in the "wide" version (i think it's an E or EE). I tried these on first, but at the time the shop I was at didn't have BG Pro color I wanted (limited supply in the wide width, by the way).

Ended up with the Aerlite's after I walked into another local shop and asked 'em for the widest shoe they had. Total fluke. Couldn't be happier in the end.

Both are around $270 at your LBS.

dancinkozmo
10-28-2009, 06:23 PM
+1 on the northwave

blschaefer1
10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I checked out the Northwave's...they look nice.

Any feedback on sizing....do they fit true to size?

In other words....would a 43.5 Sidi = a 43.5 Northwave?

In my experience, Sidi's run small.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
D2 can make customs to fit anybody. They also have a wide range of standard sizes, including wider than average widths, for $100 less than custom. The custom orthotic option is a bargain. Custom versions can run snug. I think that the philosophy is to have the shoe fit like a sock. If you want more room, stock shoes might actually be better, but there are no fancy color options, just black/silver. I'm not seeing the stock shoe option at their website, so perhaps it has been discontinued. I had them send me a pair before ordering my custom shoes early this year.

http://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=45

HenryA
10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I really like the Shimano R300 (I think thats the model) - the moldable one.

derosa_guy
10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I've had great luck with the Northwaves. Northwave sizing is a little off and varies from year to year. You really should try to try a set on. I have 2 sets of Aerators, both in 42's...one feels much bigger, so I use them on cold days when I wear winter socks. For what it's worth, my 42's are about the same size as a Sidi 43.

54ny77
10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
previous shoe was sidi genius 43 mega, current northwave is 43. fit is spot on (for me).

find an lbs that carries 'em and try 'em on. most retailers (in my area, at least) sell for at, or very close, to the usual mail order prices, or msrp. support your lbs on stuff like this!

I checked out the Northwave's...they look nice.

Any feedback on sizing....do they fit true to size?

In other words....would a 43.5 Sidi = a 43.5 Northwave?

In my experience, Sidi's run small.

Thanks for the help.

R2D2
10-29-2009, 05:04 AM
FWIW You can send back to Sidi and they will repair your shoe.

OtayBW
10-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Check out Specialized: slightly wider last, especially at the toe.

oldguy00
10-29-2009, 06:20 AM
I too use Shimano E width. I liked them more than Sidi Megas because I found the Megas felt really 'sloppy' in the heal area. The shimano's feel more secure overall.

Walter
10-29-2009, 06:25 AM
The Sidi Mega sizing works well for me.

I used to use the Carnac shoes, but have not for several years so cannot comment on their present availability as discussed above.

sspielman
10-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Northwave. If your foot is wide and flat, John Lucks are good (but hard to find)...Carnacs were the king, but they went narrow in the new millenium. Carnac is supposed to be coming back with a custom program...I suspect that the only connection to the Carnac of old is the name...

terry
10-29-2009, 07:12 AM
something different take a look at Lake. I got a pair (closeout for 150-regularly 300 from CC), not sure of model but it has the boa sysytem, and they are extremely well made and comfy. cured my numb toes issue for good.