PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all take with you on a ride?

Ti Designs
02-16-2005, 06:06 PM
After posting pics of my bike I got all kinds of comments about the tubular tire bag under my seat. I have two tubes, an allen wrench set, some tire levers and my wallet (yup, tubular tire bag while using clinchers - someone call the cops!). I keep food in my jersey or jacket pockets, I keep the bag with the bike at all times so I never forget it. With food I can always stop somewhere and get some (wallet is in the bag behind the seat). So what do you take with you on a ride?

bulliedawg
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Toothbrush, extra set of underwear.

Seriously: Water bottles, mini chain tool, one extra chain link, tube, co2, co2 thingy, tire irons, powerbar, $20 cash. It all fits in my little Pedros bag under my seat.

He who travels lightest travels farthest.

davids
02-16-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm a committed Camelbak user. I carry water, a little food, a $20 bill and some change, my license, my cellphone, a multitool, a spare tube, a minipump/CO2 dispenser, a CO2 cartridge, and (sometimes) a map on my back.

I started using a Camelbak when I started mountain biking, and it makes too much sense to me to conform to Roadie fashions. I have a Rocket with my road gear in it.

Bill Bove
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Pedro's micro mini bag has a tube, a 12g cartridge, a spoke wrench and a 5mm allen. In a sock that goes in my jersey pocket another tube and co2 cartridge along with the nozzle and a tire lever. I always carry two tubes with me for the bonehead who doesn't even carry one.I never have to tell him to replace it, every one else will shame him into coming by the shop and buying his own and a bag to carry it all in. In a little plastic card holder, a couple of business cards and five bucks. On a ride over 100k I'll put a another fiver in there and a couple of PowerBar type munchies but usually there will be a point in the ride where we'll stop and I can buy a Little Debbie and a Coke.

Matt Barkley
02-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Ideally, cheese, bread, butter, and procuitto. Pump and tube too.

Not my cell phone. :) - Matt

CalfeeFly
02-16-2005, 08:36 PM
In a Blackburn "Bullet" Bag (30 cubic inches) 1 tube, Trek multi-tool, 5 mm allen-that and the tool allows bearing adjustments, Park Glueless Patches, CO2 Gun, 3 CO2 12 g cartridges, house key and 1 Park Tire Lever. That is when I'm on my clinchers.

Riding Tufo Tubular with sealant, Trek multi-tool, 5 mm allen and CO2 Gun, 2 CO2 12 g cartridges. :bike:

yeehawfactor
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
i carry my cell phone, but its ALWAYS off unless i'm riding to meet someone.

otherwise i take 2 waterbottles, tube, tire levers, co2, co2 thingy, $1, keys, and, oh yeah, bike!

vandeda
02-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Ti Designs,

Don't worry ... I carry a hefty bag too. I frequently do solo rides since I commute on bike as much as I can. I like to take a tube, Alien something or other toolset, tire wrenches, wallet, keys and phone. Those things fill a sizeable bag, but I'm OK with that. I like bringing my whole wallet because I feel more comfortable having full ID on me, and I also like the phone in case I need to call someone for a ride.

Now, if I'm on my Centurion w/the pannier bags, I've had everything from clothes to a lawn mower blade on my bike since I have stopped off at the hardware store multiple times on the bike. I told people the lawn mower blade was for protection, at which point a person asked, "so you going to tell your attacker to wait while you pull it out of the package?" Details details ...

Somethings I get adventurous and carry nothing. This past Sunday I found myself pumping up my tire every 7-8 minutes for 10 miles because of a leak ... that stunk.
Dan

Elefantino
02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
In TransIt Micro bag:
Tube, Innovations thingy w/cartridge, tire lever, car key, Park instapatches.

In Ziploc snack bag that goes in jersey pocket:
Cell phone (on vibrate; yeah, I know), driver's license, $5 (often used to buy Starbucks cold coffee drinks, lots of caffeine), extra cartridge.

In another jersey pocket:
PowerSnot (2, caffeinated strawberry flavor), banana. :banana:

On bike:
Water bottles (2), HRM, me.

dsimon
02-16-2005, 09:47 PM
1 tube, no pump, 2 water bottles with cytomax, 2dollars for bus fair just incase. and thats it. i mooch pumps from friends and anything else they keep on them.. :argue:

M_A_Martin
02-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey, I'm the person you mooch off of.

We've been here before...but I'll chime in

Road:
In an old specialized seat bag: Reflective safety blanket (yes, on the road bike too) 3 CO2 carts, CO2 chuck, $20, patches, Benadryl, presta/schrader adapter, spare chain link w/pin, Crank Bros multi tool, Spare tube, 2 tire levers.
Cell phone and pepper spray in the jersey pocket along with a bandana and a sandwich. 2 water bottles with water.

Trail:
In an old specialized seat bag: Reflective safety blanket (yes, I've used it...on me) 3 CO2 carts, CO2 chuck, $20, patches, Benadryl, presta/schrader adapter, spare chain link w/pin, Spare tube, 2 tire levers.
In the Camelback: Another spare tube, Cell phone, a bandana, a piece of fruit, and a sandwich, a mini pump, a couple spare Cliff Shots. PLUS a basic first aid kit, compass, magnesium fire starter, Alien multi tool, knife...hmmm...and map and pepper spray in the jersey pocket. I know I'm forgetting something...(that's usually what I say when I'm on the trail)

I wind up fixing other people's bikes on the road and trail.

Oh yeah...I carry ID and insurance card with me on both bikes.

csb
02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
3 rear pockets:

(left) a spare tube + a plain GU
(right) a cell-phone, so my broker can reach me, a/o i
can call the lads way behind me to let them know whats
instore for them up ahead.
(center) in a flat zippered little pouch, the kind of 'purse'
the big box orange store sells to keep loose bits in: a park
tool, $, small chain tool, extra-special link, credit card,
valve adapter, patch/repair crap, proof that i'm a good
upstanding citizen and therefor should not be harassed.

a frame pump incase proof of citizenship is questioned.

Xyzzy
02-16-2005, 11:06 PM
1 tube, 3 tire levers, 1 co2 chuck, 5 $1 bills, 2 16g co2 cannisters, 1 park quick patch kit, all wrapped up with a spare zip lock bag, fits in center jersey pocket

cell phone (in zip lock) in another jersey pocket along with extra zip lock for trash...

gu packets in last jersey pocket...

yes, i am obsessed with zip lock bags...

http://www.teamprimerib.com/gif/tardhit.gif

dehoopta
02-17-2005, 12:00 AM
In my Topeak wedge I have a tube, patch kit, tire levers, Topeak Hummer multitool, Park spoke wrench, CO2 Cartridge and inflator, whatever money was left over from the last ride and my 1980 drivers license from when I was 16 for ID (although it wont do me any good any more since it has my California info and I live in Ohio).

Max77
02-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Oars, in case get a flat or tired, then I just row the rest of the way. They are also a good replacement for pepper spray. No bag needed for them, I just carry them in my mouth.

Seriously, Pedro's bag with (2) CO2s and tubes, tire iron, multi-purpose tool. My pockets carry one Access bar for every hour riding, a small lunch bag with Sustain Sport, cash, credit card, ID, and cellphone. This is what I pack for a 20 to 200 mile ride.

William
02-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Tube
Patch Kit
Empty Power Bar wrapper
Tire levers
Spyderco Endura
spoke wrench
Two CO2 cartriges
Key & I.D.
$$$
Two water bottles
Various food items (depends on distance planned)

I try to go lite as possible but certain items are must haves.

William

Bruce K
02-17-2005, 06:27 AM
In my bag I take:
Multi tool, 2-CO2 cartridges, CO2 nozzle, tire levers, patch kit, money, Look shoe cleat (they're plastic and have been known to occassionally break)

In my jersey (depending on length and type of ride):
Tube, Hammer Gel, nutrition bar(s), cell phone

I carry 2 water bottles on the bike unless I'm going for 1.5 hours or less, then it's one.

BK

JohnS
02-17-2005, 06:37 AM
In my Camelbak Rocket I carry: spare tube, patch kit, CO2/minipump, minitool, tire levers, cleat covers, wallet, housekeys, cellphone and pocketknife.

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Tubular tire bag - 1 tubie, few squares of tyvex, spare valve extender
In the jersey - Repair Kit consisting of: CO2, Park MT-1, Park CT-sc, Spokey Spoke Wrench, 1 look cleat, 1 razor blade, 1 gear cable, 1 old spare tubie cinched with a leather BINDA toestrap.

(Sigh) My rando day are gone it's plain to see. No Giles Berthud, no waxed canvas....spare bolts, bailing wire and such....it bothers me about -- that much!

Kevan
02-17-2005, 07:38 AM
a Barbie doll stuffed in his back pocket???

Me? A Jandd a mini-tool kit bag that hugs the underneath of my saddle as if it had been pushed into freezing water. If you get my point...

The bag holds:
1 inner tube
1 all-in-one tool/patches/quarter/3rd hand chain grabber/lint
2 tire levers

Back pocket (depends on the ride, but let's assume I'm prepared for the best):
2 Gu's
1 Powerbar
1 cellphone
5 bucks
2 CO2 cartridges black taped together, nozzle loosely screwed on to one

Down tube:
two conventional bottles filled with life's energy: Powerade

Around my neck:
dog tags detailing who I am and my insurance

Tom
02-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Angst, black moods and frustration.

I drop the sons a *****es within a couple miles.

Ravens dream of spring. Can't come too soon, I say.

antman
02-17-2005, 07:47 AM
I also go on many solo rides so I also like to carry my Health insurance card

Bruce K
02-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I forgot about my Road ID tag on my wrist watch.

My son has, and wears the Road ID Dog Tags (parental requirement for riding).

These are relatively cheap and one of the best ways I've seen to ensure that people know who you are, how to contact someone who cares, and possibly some medical info about you.

BK

Climb01742
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
a zagat's guide.

Birddog
02-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Jandd underseat Bag
1 tube (placed in the foot of an old cut off sock)
2 CO2 and inflater
1 Multi tool (in sock like tube) including chain tool
tire levers
presta adapter
self stick patches
$6 (at least 1, 1$ bill for boot) in an old film canister
very small roll of duct tape about 3/8" diameter

If I'm going solo a long way from home or very rural, I take along a mini pump in jersey pocket. All food goes in jersey. Also in jersey I usually take a very thin well worn cotton wash cloth to wipe sweat off brow and/or clean glasses. Was once offered $10 for the wash cloth by a friend who had to go #2 out in the boonies. More than you wanted or needed to know.

Birddog

Spinner
02-17-2005, 08:49 AM
some of the items identified in earlier posts along with a three-inch section cut from a used tire that can be used as an emergency shim in the event of a blow-out or large gash. this has saved me more than once. i cut the bead off to make for a better fit.

csb
02-17-2005, 08:51 AM
tire levers for the clingons out there, have
always been a carry-on. on a recent excursion
with a somewhat new (to me) pal, new pal flatted. whilst
he was preparing for the surgery, i reached
into my magic bag and pulled out my plasteek tire
iron, spying into my hands he then looks up at
me and asks if i'm that much of a wussy, i look
around and see no __________(you fill in the forum
member you dislike the most) and can only assume he
means me. i then watch in amazement as this little
colnagocreep off-rolls his tire with tube intact, switches out
the tube, and rolls the whole assembly back on.

Tom
02-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I had an odd one last year... group ride, some guy in full kit from the big local racer club (four letters) flats, has no tube. I give him mine. He has no pump. I have CO2 kit, he doesn't know how to use one.

It kind of left me wondering if these guys have a team mechanic that normally follows them everywhere they go?

Sandy
02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."

As you get older one thinks of that more and more. As a kid the thought never enters your mind. As a kid somone over 40 is ancient.

Fossil Sandy

M_A_Martin
02-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Oops, I forgot...

Latex glove for messy chain encounters...

Everyone laughs until the opportunity knocks mid-ride to get your hands really greasy dealing with someone else's chain suck problem...

Bittersweet
02-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Besides some of the items discussed I also carry with my license a business card with mulitple emergency contacts and numbers as well as my blood type. Then again I have been known to ride without a helmet on occasion.

weisan
02-17-2005, 09:42 AM
More or less the same with folks here...but there's one thing that I consider the most important item in the bag is the spare key to my car. That's just a backup in case I lost the one in my jersey pocket. I am usually paranoid about such things. So far, that didn't happened but I am keeping my finger crossed.

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Previous post made me recall something regards tubes. We've all "loaned" our share of tubes to friends and hapless strangers, fixed their bikes. Pay it forward yada yada enough already. I've done my share and rarely had "it" come back except for a few weekends ago. I was riding with my coaches partner and some fellow he coaches whom I don't recognize altho he is local. We get to the coffee stop and at some point Hal says "you know, I need to get something off my chest. You gave me a tube a couple yr.s ago and every time I see you I think about it....HERE! Made me laugh...it did infact look like something he'd been carrying around forever. Didn't have the heart to tell him I'm riding tubies :rolleyes:

dirtdigger88
02-17-2005, 09:56 AM
csb- I have found the tire makes all the difference when trying to remove without a tool- My open corsa go on and off easily w/o tools- some of my heavier training tires do not- if the guy was on a colnago you know he was using some expensive rubber!!!

What do I take- I am one of those who goes sans a bike bag- I use a zip up plastic pouch- thanks Kurt!- I carry one tube- 2 tire levers- patch kit- insta-flate and three co2s (over kill I am sure but I use to be a boy scout) I carry two allens- a rag (wraped around my tube) this time of year I also carry a small red flashing light- in case I get caught out after dark- a $20- and my house key-

Jason

OldDog
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I ride commando......

flydhest
02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
wow.

uh, spare tubular in the jersey, CO2 inflator in jersey. I change tires by hand. I don't bring food on most rides as they are seldom more than 2 hours. Keys in pocket. Usually, no bag.

For ID, I have a little sticker on the inside of my helmet wit name, address, and phone number.

Carpe Diem
02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Gatorade, keys, asthma spray, mobile phone, 50 Euros.
I donīt take spares or tools as my rides afterwork are between 30-50 km, a phone call or a taxi will get me back home.

PsyDoc
02-17-2005, 10:03 AM
...when I used to ride with just water bottles and no other supplies (or helmet for that matter). Now, I feel (or have been brainwashed) into thinking I need all these other things. I do not want to mention the "F" word as I do not want to anger the cycling Gods, but I can count on one hand how many I have had in my 20 years of being a roadie. The only "real" piece of equipment that I would have a hard time riding without is a cell phone, simply because I come across a number of stranded motorists during the year who do not have one or the battery has gone dead.

flydhest
02-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Previous post made me recall something regards tubes. We've all "loaned" our share of tubes to friends and hapless strangers, fixed their bikes. Pay it forward yada yada enough already. I've done my share and rarely had "it" come back except for a few weekends ago. I was riding with my coaches partner and some fellow he coaches whom I don't recognize altho he is local. We get to the coffee stop and at some point Hal says "you know, I need to get something off my chest. You gave me a tube a couple yr.s ago and every time I see you I think about it....HERE! Made me laugh...it did infact look like something he'd been carrying around forever. Didn't have the heart to tell him I'm riding tubies :rolleyes:

TooTall, why do you think I like riding with you so much

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 10:09 AM
hehe. Thanks. The reason for the second tubie is because NOBODY rides them anymore. U-stabeee if you popped more than once you would "borrow" someone else's spare and give it back at the end of a ride :rolleyes:

Those were the days my friend. Spread the word. Clinchers are like so 2004 OMG.

Kevan
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
here's this young, genetically-gifted, athlete who comes strolling out of his house... no pump...~maybe~ a tube... no food... likely very little money... and the waterbottle is probably partially filled with the leftovers from last weekend's ride. We head off, me trying to stick to his back wheel, and thinking I'm schleeping all the stuff that's gonna save his sorry a$$. :crap:

flydhest
02-17-2005, 10:18 AM
TT,

You missed my point. Granted, sharing tubies and spreading the risk is a good thing, but really, I just like the fact that you're sooooo easy to mooch off.

:D

Roy E. Munson
02-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Ipod
spare tube
levers
co2
small multi
2 bars
latest issue of Hustler

zap
02-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Roy, does the last item on your list make you go faster. :rolleyes:

I usually carry a spare tube (or tire sealent), tire iron (or not), CO gun and GU (longer rides). If its a mid week ride, I'll take a cell phone in order to keep my clients happy. Water bottle (or two) as well.

Great thing about tubbies is that if you flat, you can keep going. Just take it easy in the turns.

Roy E. Munson
02-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Roy, does the last item on your list make you go faster.

No, but it makes me go harder.

JohnS
02-17-2005, 10:48 AM
You HAD to ask! :crap:

zap
02-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, there was this study conducted some years ago............. :rolleyes:

But I can't say, Sandy might be lurking.

M_A_Martin
02-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Well, I *can* ride with just the cell phone, and $30....

However, I usually ride alone and like to be prepared, and when I do ride in a group I'm usually the one who has whatever is needed to fix whatever broke on someone elses bike.

(You guys gawk at car wrecks too don't you...)

RichMc
02-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I've got my Jaand bag, CO tube inflater, extra CO tube, one spare tire tube, tire levers, small pump, patch kit, couple allen wrenches, small small screwdriver, cellphone. That stuff goes under the seat. Keys, paper towel, and money clip with driver's license, money & emergency contacts in the jersey pockets. One or two water bottles and banana, cookies depending on length of ride. Been OK with that so far.

Jeff N.
02-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Frame pump (Zefal), two tubes, tire lever, chain tool, few Allen wrenches, two water bottles, one power bar. And a case 'o' Heine waitin' at home. :beer: Jeff N.

spiderman
02-17-2005, 01:59 PM
...just carry my little mule camelbak
big compartment:
tubular spare
clincher spare (for my wife, daughters or someone in need)
co2 pump/cartridge and 16 gram cartridge spare
alien tool
small compartment:
small multiplier
headlight/tail-light
bactoban/tegaderm
credit card, driver's liscence and at least a $20
cell phone/pager if i'm on call
usually no keys...
...i don't lock anything
and leave the keys in the ignition
you're welcome to borrow anything i have, anytime.

Kevan
02-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I thought you had Gu shooting from your wrists. :confused:

Sandy
02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Where do you keep my picture? In your saddle bag? In your jersey? Stapled to your chest, near your heart?

Shutterbug Sandy

flydhest
02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Where do you keep my picture? In your saddle bag? In your jersey? Stapled to your chest, near your heart?

Shutterbug Sandy

embroidered into his chamois.

Skrawny
02-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Tube, minipump, keys, cell phone, and plastic sleeve with copy of my ID, emergency contact info and $20. After taking care of another rider who had a hard crash, I can't stress the utility of having an emergency contact #.

After giving so many tubes away and then having to complete my own ride without one, I have been thinking about bringing a 2nd tube, but then I'd have to start using a bag...

I notice some people have both a CO2 device and a pump. Why?

Spiderman:
I think tegaderm is one of the best inventions of the 20th century. My knee, hip, and arm are currently covererd in it -but that's another story. Have you seen it in stores, or do I have to keep . . . ahem . . . liberating it from the hospital?

spiderman
02-17-2005, 05:35 PM
in my clinic...
...i consider it part of my
first responder package!
i've carried a complete
first aid kit,
and sometimes still do
on local event rides,
just in case somebody crashes!
:bike:

JohnS
02-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Air Innovations? has a combo minipump and CO2 inflator. You use the same head for both. The minipump comes in handy for seating the tube.

ericmurphy
02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
two water bottle cages (and water bottles to go in them).

On me (jersey pockets):

Wallet
(2) CO2 carts.
CO2 valve
irons
tube
cellphone

I've got it down to this from formerly lugging ten extra pounds in a Camelback.

ericmurphy
02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
I notice some people have both a CO2 device and a pump. Why?

It's kinda hard to control most CO2 devices. If you want to get just enough air in the tube to give it shape to get it in the tire, a pump can be helpful.

Plus, a pump never runs out of air. You only get one chance with a CO2 cartridge to get it right.

gasman
02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
A Glock 9mm. I get everyting I need with it and get rid of everything I don't want with it. ;)

JohnS
02-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I'll take my .40. It puts bigger holes in things I don't want.

csb
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Rich_W
02-17-2005, 09:53 PM
1 tube taped to a 16g cartridge, and a micro regulator... all bundled together. Food only over 35 miles. As for food, I like small meat sandwiches (turkey or ham, cap) on some fresh baugette... maybe a little mustard. And a warm can of cioke in my jersey pocket when I pop over the top of skyline drive.

Powerbars and Cliff bars, ect... just seem to make me f*rt. I use gu or enervit packs for the second to last lap in a crit race.

jerk
02-17-2005, 10:03 PM
the jerk takes his bike.

Rich_W
02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Jerk,

Is your new c50hp the new HM version?

gdw
02-17-2005, 10:20 PM
It looks like we have a bunch of fair weather flatlanders here. :D I usually carry a light raincoat in a rear jersey pocket when riding the road bike and always carry one plus a hefty trash bag, arm and knee warmers, space blanket, and matches in the Camelbak when mountain biking. Afternoon rainstorms are common in the Rockies and unfortunately we sometimes have hail and snow in the summer as well.

gasman
02-17-2005, 10:29 PM
It looks like we have a bunch of fair weather flatlanders here. :D I usually carry a light raincoat in a rear jersey pocket when riding the road bike and always carry one plus a hefty trash bag, arm and knee warmers, space blanket, and matches in the Camelbak when mountain biking. Afternoon rainstorms are common in the Rockies and unfortunately we sometimes have hail and snow in the summer as well.

Er. some of us Northwesterners might argue a wee bit. After all, how many of you outside of the NW have dedicated rain bikes with fenders, etc ? :D

gdw
02-17-2005, 10:54 PM
You're the first voice from the Northwest to respond to this thread or the only one who rides when it rains. I found it amusing that we had everything from Twizzlers to Glocks mentioned but not one member listed rain gear.

mdeeds71
02-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, I might as well tell everyone....

All I take is a jar of vaseline...I like to ride ala birthday suit...The vaseline helps the seat rash since sans shorts! :butt:

I figure there is always a ride home with the authorities if found along the side of the road...at least my wife can pick me up at the local station :D

Tom
02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
OK, I take offense. It rains around here, and I figure I'll just get wet. If it's a cold rain, a little polypro or fleece against the skin and I'm fine.

Which, again, reminds me of a funny incident. There's a small group I sometimes ride with that's pretty hardcore, in my opinion. They never miss an opportunity to ride, they beat themselves stupid against the hills, one guy rides ancient chromed steel Spanish-made bikes with 7-speed downtube shifters and claims he's never ridden a clincher in his life... I know the frames are chromed because in a lot of places the paint's gone and the chrome shines through... he effortlessly rides me off his wheel going up the hills... I think he actually went into mourning at the demise of the Kelme team... anyway, one June day we hook up, and there's much discussion about the prospect of rain. I say, aw, no, I looked at the radar there's nothing out there. Sure enough, we get out about 20 miles and run into a freshet. It starts coming down pretty good and all I hear is swearing, the pace kicks up to where my eyeballs start bulging and these guys all turn and run for home cursing the entire way. It was a nice warm rain, too!

vandeda
02-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Well, I might as well tell everyone....

All I take is a jar of vaseline...I like to ride ala birthday suit...The vaseline helps the seat rash since sans shorts! :butt:

I figure there is always a ride home with the authorities if found along the side of the road...at least my wife can pick me up at the local station :D

Wait .... oh my gosh .... if that's all you take ... then where do you store the jar? Ummmm .... on 2nd thought, don't answer that question :eek:

:D

As for rain ... like Tom, I figure I'm going to get wet. Well ... I don't bring rain gear except for my rain covers for my panniers. If I'm commuting to say youth group, I'll bring a dry pair of riding clothes ... I'd rather get wet than have hot, sticky, sweaty rain gear ... yes, even good gortex doesn't always breathe fast enough ... well, nothing really can when the humidity is already 100%, where's the water going to evaporate to? Rain or not I'm usually commuting to youth group or friends places and such ... I've left the house with it already raining, soaking wet after a couple miles (darn fenders didn't work ... I thought there were supposed to keep me dry!! ;) ), and I've also gone to yg knowing it was going to rain on the way home and a temperature of high-30s. Nothin' wrong w/rain, that's why the commuter bike is a beater bike.

dan

Kevan
02-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I get wet. No plastic suit is going to prevent it. If it's 38 degrees and rain looks to be more than a possible event, I grab a book and hit the overstuffed. :cool:

William
02-18-2005, 07:39 AM
I saw bostondrunk out on the road yesterday. What was he carrying? A pack of smokes rolled up in each sleeve. Two pints of Dog Fish Head IPA in the water bottle cages, a spare tubie around his neck, and a box of Cinnamon pop tarts in each jersey pocket. I said Hi as he rode by but I couldn't make out what he mumbled because of the cig hanging between his lips and the intermittent burps. I understood the one finger salute though.:eek:

Ahh, nothing like the smell of Boston in the morning. It smells like....like....

William ;) :D

M_A_Martin
02-18-2005, 08:51 AM
To the question of why carry *both* C02 and a pump.

For the same reason I carry a spare tube *and* patches.

C02 is fast, a new tube is fast. You get done changing your flat and everyone's still warm, not just the person pumping up the tire.

A pump doesn't run out of air, and is overall cheaper.

So, when you're cruising along and you flat, change your tube, air up with C02, and get on your way without causing the group much issue. The next person flats, you use your other C02 and a patch, third person flats, you patch their tube and use the pump.

And so it goes.

(and I have been on rides other than the TDfl that had more flats than that on the ride...and I had the only kit to fix flats in the group. I have no clue why people would ride in the greater Detroit area without a flat kit of some sort...)