PDA

View Full Version : A Very Sensitive Issue

BCS
10-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I need some help from the male forumites. Whenever I ride more than 2 hours or so, I get serious chafing/irritation in a place that does not like to be irritated. :banana:
I never get saddle sores. My bibs/ chamois fit great ( I use Assos and Giordana but have had issues with others). I have attempted to be proactive by lubing up with various products ( Desitin, vaseline, lantiseptic) but the effects are short lived.

Don't be shy--share your tips with me (pun intended) ;)

Pete Serotta
10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
First - - Have you changed seats or position recently? Have you always had this problem with this bike? Have you had it with your previous bike?

What type saddle do you have? Is the position level? pointed up? pointed down?

lets start here ///

Pete

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I use a liberal amount of gold-bond and that seems to work well. I am also somewhat picky about my shorts as seams seem to be in the wrong spot all too often.

When I do triathlons, I use diaper rash cream. Also, I have noticed that unless I have to use bike shorts, I am better off using Tri shorts with a thinny chamois but these shorts are made for multi use, so less seams and places to cause chaffing causing friction.

I had this problem more with running until I swiched to different shorts. Not only is it no fun, but it prevents "fun" for a few days.

ridethecliche
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Is your saddle a hair too high?

BCS
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
According to my fitter, the saddle height is on the money. Positiont has not changed.

I like my saddles level.(swallow, B17, antares). No apparent correlation. I recently got a Specialized Alias that I really like but I haven't been on any long rides.

Moisture seems to be a major problem. Unavoidable here in Florida. 8 hrs on the bike today, stopped at least 6 times to reapply lantiseptic. Without getting too graphic: beans OK, frank not good

Dekonick
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Hmm - perhaps you need different bibs or shorts.

ahumblecycler
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I had a similar problem with a pair of bib shorts that were a wee-bit too tight. It was European sizing medium, and I typically wear small (e.g., Sugoi RS), and I thought it would stretch a bit. I found no amount of creme would solve the problem so I went back to the Sugoi's (man I sure liked the Assos).

Long story short, I deduced the problem to be overtightness which trapped moisture in some places and made skin bunch in others.

sspielman
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
There used to be a product that was intended to wrap the tool like a "pig in a blanket"....maybe you could devise something similar...I assume that you have already experimented with different furniture arrangements....

Marcusaurelius
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I use chamois cream and it works very well.

dsteady
10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Try DZ Nutz. It has tea tree extract which is great for the skin. If your saddle is right and the bibs fit it could simply be the humidity down there, in FLA that is. And there.

There might also be a fungal issue which has nothing to do with you bibs/chamois. Have you seen a dermatologist?

Louis
10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
This discussion is way too vague. We need pictures.

garysol1
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Your not wearing underwear under your bibs are ya? :confused:

Louis
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Moisture seems to be a major problem. Unavoidable here in Florida. 8 hrs on the bike today, stopped at least 6 times to reapply lantiseptic.

More seriously, do you tend to sweat a lot?

In St Louis we have summer heat and humidity that is easily as bad as anywhere else but I've never heard of humidity-induced issues there. I use chamois cream, but only on the chamois in the sit-bone area, not on any other parts.

Could the chafing be induced by too much motion of some sort? Are the shorts not keeping things in place?

Good luck. Stopping six time for that sort of self-medication would be a hassle.

Louis

rugbysecondrow
10-27-2009, 07:52 PM
According to my fitter, the saddle height is on the money. Positiont has not changed.

I like my saddles level.(swallow, B17, antares). No apparent correlation. I recently got a Specialized Alias that I really like but I haven't been on any long rides.

Moisture seems to be a major problem. Unavoidable here in Florida. 8 hrs on the bike today, stopped at least 6 times to reapply lantiseptic. Without getting too graphic: beans OK, frank not good

Not to delve into this too much, but since it is the frank does "Clown Nose" help describe the problem? If so, I know how you feel, that really sucks.

palincss
10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I need some help from the male forumites. Whenever I ride more than 2 hours or so, I get serious chafing/irritation in a place that does not like to be irritated.

In line with the direction Pete's going in, are you squirming around on your saddle? Is it possibly just a little bit too high?

salem
10-27-2009, 08:06 PM
This discussion is way too vague. We need pictures.
Thank you, I rather enjoyed that chuckle.

BCS
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Not to delve into this too much, but since it is the frank does "Clown Nose" help describe the problem? If so, I know how you feel, that really sucks.

Bozo-like.

I am going to lower the saddle about 5 mm to see if this helps. New bibs as well. First time my wife actually encouraged a cycling purchase

Ahneida Ride
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
If all else fails, try a Brooks Leather Saddle.

don compton
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I need some help from the male forumites. Whenever I ride more than 2 hours or so, I get serious chafing/irritation in a place that does not like to be irritated. :banana:
I never get saddle sores. My bibs/ chamois fit great ( I use Assos and Giordana but have had issues with others). I have attempted to be proactive by lubing up with various products ( Desitin, vaseline, lantiseptic) but the effects are short lived.

this summer i enjoyed the backroads "crater lake tour". unfortunately, i encountered a saddle sore caused by an ill-fitting pair of shorts. i was introduced to"bag bomb". it is used on dairy cows while milking. it is a miracle fix. :beer:

Dekonick
10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
this summer i enjoyed the backroads "crater lake tour". unfortunately, i encountered a saddle sore caused by an ill-fitting pair of shorts. i was introduced to"bag bomb". it is used on dairy cows while milking. it is a miracle fix. :beer:

bag balm

Dekonick
10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
and try some anti-fungal cream... use as directed - and follow through... don't stop tx until rx instructions say so else the party starts over...

93legendti
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I had the same problem. I realized the chamois in my older Castelli Y2K shorts (I had ~6 pairs) were worn out. I stopped wearing them and the problem went away.

kgrooney
10-28-2009, 06:48 AM

You may have a fungus. If this is the case, the moisture will aggravate the area and it will appear as chaffing.

KeithS
10-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I haven't had your specific "injury" but I did have a saddle sore on the soft tissue down there, turned into a rash - or so I thought. I always use a product specific to the task on every ride, Butt Butt'r, Assos, or DZ Nuts. No amount of product could have prevented what became a staph infection. My Doc prescribed an antibiotic, cleared up in a week. If you have something persistant outside of discomfort maybe a trip to your doctor may be in order. A +1 to what dsteady suggested.

So that brings up another question I have always wondered about, not to highjack this thread, kind of related to the BCS's question in a tangential way, what do you (all) use for laundering riding gear? All the labels say wash in cold water and line dry, so no hot water to kill bacteria. I never ride bibs twice, but I have in the past put on a pair washed the night before and the chamois is still damp. A breeding ground for nasty stuff.

jscottyk
10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Try DZ Nutz.

Plus one. Or in this case plus two.

It's the bomb!. Or in this case "the balm!"

Louis
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
what do you (all) use for laundering riding gear? All the labels say wash in cold water and line dry, so no hot water to kill bacteria

Same liquid I use for all my other clothes + Borax Laundry Booster (http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/) . I let things soak for about 30 min afer the first agitation then let then dry very very well before using again.

sailorboy
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
how's your hand at man-grooming? Try shaving that boush a little bit on occasion down there. Makes for less friction, and less saddle cream goes a long way.

that or just ride more until that area toughens up

Geoff
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Are your bibs are to loose in the front when riding? try dressing to the opposite side than you normally do.

tch
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Are your bibs too loose in the front when riding? try dressing to the opposite side than you normally do.
I think it may help to take a lot of time to arrange the furniture, so to speak. I've had this problem occasionally, and it's been important to tuck things away in the right places. The right shorts will bulge a little bit at the front when you sit, creating a sort of "pocket" that keeps things from chafing. Depending on your circumstances, you may want to dress opposite side, tuck, pull up on your bibs or down on them, even run your stuff upwards if necessary. But take your time and do it while you're on your bike.

Steve D
10-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Are your bibs are to loose in the front when riding? try dressing to the opposite side than you normally do.

This was a problem I had. Bought XL bibs because I'm tall and wanted to make sure the straps were long enough to fit comfortably over my shoulders. Also, my thighs are big and the size large bibs were too tight above the knee. My problem was that the waist on the XL bibs was too loose and this allowed lots of chaffing. Solution for me was to wear tighter fighting bibs.

jscottyk
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
...what do you (all) use for laundering riding gear? All the labels say wash in cold water and line dry, so no hot water to kill bacteria. I never ride bibs twice, but I have in the past put on a pair washed the night before and the chamois is still damp. A breeding ground for nasty stuff.

Castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's) for the wash, and then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse. The castile soap is a very mild but good cleaner. The vinegar is sure to rinse off any soap residue (important to keep the wicking properties of technical fabrics) and is also anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Then air dry.

I wash gear after every ride.

ridethecliche
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
My 'chammy cream' is simple vaseline.

It does a great job at keeping moisture out.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

It's cheap so you won't get into trouble if you use a goop of it, though I just apply a fingers worth on both sides and go out for a ride.

cdn_bacon
10-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Does no one use baby powder? Keeps me dry and chaff free.

Dekonick
10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
sure - just not in bibs.

rugbysecondrow
10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Does no one use baby powder? Keeps me dry and chaff free.

I use powder and gold bond...works well for me.

XTC
10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Vaseline?

That is a petrolium product- can't imagine that it is good for the longevity of the shorts.....