PDA

View Full Version : cross frameset recommendations?

xeladragon
10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
i'm looking for something that's good enough for racing. i'd also use it as a 2nd road/training bike. i've been looking at the salsa chili con crosso, cannondale cx9, surly cross check, etc. any thoughts/opinions/recommendations? thanks!

Marcusaurelius
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
My favourite is the Lemond Poprad. It has lower bottom bracket height than the others which makes for better riding overall.

I've had a surly cross check, jamis nova and soma doublecross and I thought they were alright but the Poprad felt better no doubt due to the geometry and nicer tubeset.

I don't ride aluminum so I would never recommend anything aluminum (good for beer cans but not for a bicycle frame).

djg
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
For budget frames I know folks who've been very happy with Redline and Salsa -- Fuji might be worth a look too. Also, the less expensive Ridley frames are pretty reasonable if the geo works for you. For a little more money the Lemond poprad frames look really nice.

If your budget goes up . . . well, there's alll sorts of cool stuff in steel, ti, or carbon, inculding offerings from our fearless sponsor.

salem
10-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Just one man's opinion, but having had both options, I would try to get a bike with all cables on the top tube if you are serious about racing cross. In addition to the mud advantage, the biggest perk in this routing is not having anything to snag when you slide the crook of your elbow under the downtube for shouldering. It isn't a game killer, but the difference is definitely noticeable.

A quick look shows most manufactures (all you listed) have gone away from this (probably because it is slightly cheaper to spec down tube cables), but the found I found that look nice are the Giant TCX and Jamis Nova. There are bound to be others.

fourflys
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Hard to go wrong with a Salsa, Redline or Kona.... All three have been in the Cross business for a while... I have a Salsa Las Cruces that is great!

Chris
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I just got a Trek XO and have been happy with it.

John M
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Any material can be built into a great cross frame, but don't neglect Al. Aluminum is a great material for cross frames. It is light, relatively inexpensive, and more than durable enough. Yes it can be dented in a crash, but so can light steel. The apparent harsh ride of Al is irrelevant in cyclocross since any harshness is mitigated by the bigger tire, softer surface, and lower psi.

There are different approaches to cross geo and it does make a difference in fit and how the bike rides. Ridley and Cannondale are two examples of brands that use a high BB and make a "tall" bike for a given top tube length. Gunnar/Waterford (stock cross geo) and the Lemond Poprad use a low BB and thus feel more like typical road bikes. The fork also matters in how the bike feels. One feature that some bikes have (including my current cross rig) that I don't like for cross racing is the sloping top tube. A level top tube makes for a bigger main triangle and easier to get on the shoulder for run-ups.

I have a Rocky Mountain CXR team that has reasonably neutral geo and seems great on the cross course. It OK as a road bike, but not as fun to ride on the road as a purpose-designed "road" bike.

William
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Y'all know me. Know what I'm gonna say. I'll recomend a cross bike for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the park chasin' Konas and Redlines. This cross bike, swallow the field whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down they go. And you gotta do it quick, that'll bring back the sponsors, put all your racing on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be real cheap. you value your cross rep a lot more than a thousand bucks, chief. But you've gotta make up your mind. If you want to stay alive on the course, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on the back of the pack the whole winter. You don't want no Lemonds, You don't want no Surlys, there's just too many captains on the cross course. Buy a Zanconato for yourself. For that you get the performance, the look, the whole damn thing.

William :)

ahumblecycler
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I just picked up a Rocky Mountain Solo CX, but I have not taken her out yet. The cables do run across the top of the TT, and to increase versitility, it has rack eyelets. The area around me have miles of non-road bike riding to offer, and I plan to explore them now :)

salem
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Buy a Zanconato for yourself. For that you get the performance, the look, the whole damn thing.

William :)

And the cables will be in the right place as well. Here's a peek at mine, one of his earliest, recently resurrected from the hook.
http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data//500/P10100431.JPG

Steelhead
10-28-2009, 08:08 AM
It might be cost prohibitive but I have seen good sale prices on the web from Lynskey for their Ti cross frames. :)

r_mutt
10-28-2009, 11:22 AM
ebay has a bunch of guerciotti CX frame on close out. they made their name in cross in the 80's. it might make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to ride italian.

I Want Sachs?
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Is Lemond still making bicycles since the Trek blowup? Who is the distributor?

jtferraro
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
And the cables will be in the right place as well. Here's a peek at mine, one of his earliest, recently resurrected from the hook.
http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data//500/P10100431.JPG

Nice, Salem! Is that what you raced this past Sunday? What year was it built? Looks fillet brazed rather than lugged? I also have a Zanconato cross and '3rd' your and Williams recommendations! Mike's a really nice guy.

veggieburger
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I love my Ridley. Higher BB for rock/barrier/whatever clearance, with a nice long wheelbase for stability. You can't argue with the pedigree either - you see quite a few Ridleys sloshing around in Belgium.

salem
10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice, Salem! Is that what you raced this past Sunday?

Alas, no. I'm getting sentimental in my old age, and I couldn't see trashing in the slop, so I rode my single speed mountain bike. Considering I found that frame (an 80s Schwinn Mirada) partially submerged under a bridge, it was up to the task.

As for the Zank, it was built in...lets see...probably '99 or maybe 2000, and it is fillet brazed. It was a hurried job for the start of cross season, and I think Mike had an issue getting lugs for the geometry I spec'ed.
------
To get back to the original poster's question, I think you are right to try for dual purpose on the bike. I've known a lot of people who bought cross bikes to try cross, only to sell them a few months later--cross racing is something you either love or hate.

I own two cross bikes, and I ride the one I wouldn't want to race a lot more. An ideal cross racing bike with a high BB tends to be out of its element in most other situations. Keep that in mind, as a lot of us might be suggesting bikes that are great for cross, but not as good for you second use, so you need to decide which is more important to you.

jtferraro
10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Salem,

I hear ya' re: thrashing in the slop. Since my Zanconato just got repainted, I opted to take my other bike too!

Hah!! (submerged under a bridge = up to the task)

Cool Zanconato. It's definitely unique!

I think I met you a few years ago...via the autumn EBCC 'Tri-State Ride'. I believe you were on a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Sound familiar?

Back on topic, you raise some good points to consider for the OP.