PDA

View Full Version : really stupid questions - brake nuts

rinconryder
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I just sold a frame and included the brake nuts, but on second thought, I am thinking those were supposed to stay with the brakes and not go with the frame. Which is it? Never bought all the parts separately, so I don't know.

dave thompson
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Brake nuts stay with brakes unless the front fork requires a special nut, which should be included with the sale. My .02 pesos.

tkbike
10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
The frames that I have purchased with forks included the brake nuts, no fork no nuts!

TimD
10-27-2009, 05:08 AM
+1. If the fork or carbon rear stay requires a specific brake binder, the binder should go with the fork and/or frame. Reynolds forks and rear carbon stays require specific binders which can only be obtained from Reynolds (or Serotta).
I've been calling these "The Elusive Ouzo Pro Brake Binder Nut".

Tim

TAW
10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Brake nuts stay with brakes unless the front fork requires a special nut, which should be included with the sale. My .02 pesos.

I'll add my pesos to this.

Charles M
10-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I'll go with Yen...

It depends on the frame and fork.

Keeping the bolts when the frame or fork require something a little special is poo (especially a lot of the newer deeper fork and strange rear stay profiles).

KJMUNC
10-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Yep, depends on the frame. If they accept standard nuts then I wouldn't include them unless you sell the brakes too.

If they require frame specific nuts, then include them. I bought a frame last year that needed longer than normal brake nuts and the seller did not include them. It was a real hassle tracking down the right size and would've been great had he included them.