PDA

View Full Version : C50 discontinued?

amator
10-25-2009, 09:27 AM
In my foray and research to try a decent carbon bike, I discovered many shops having Colnago c50 and Extreme Power's on substantial closeout.

I know the EPS has replaced the EP, Does the C50 have an erstwhile successor in 2010?

Jeff N.
10-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be surprised. We have the C40 and C50, now maybe a C55 or C60? (I sure love my 65cm C40, that's for sure! There's just somethin' about a 'Nago...) Jeff N.

jlwdm
10-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Although I have seen posts saying there would not be a 2010 C50, there is a photo of the 2010 model on Weight Weenies.

Colnago eliminated their US Distributor this year and is doing their own distribution which has resulted in a lot of Colnago frame sales this year.

Jeff

amator
10-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Although I have seen posts saying there would not be a 2010 C50, there is a photo of the 2010 model on Weight Weenies.

Colnago eliminated their US Distributor this year and is doing their own distribution which has resulted in a lot of Colnago frame sales this year.

Jeff

I have heard conflicting news that the only lugged carbon model for 2010 is the EPS and that the Extreme C and C50 would not be offered.

Strangely, even at closeout prices the draw of a big name carbon frame like Colnago doesnt have me drooling like I would for a steel Baum or IF... im wondering whether the $ would be better served going to a nice lightweight stainless steel frame. :rolleyes:

In all fairness, I should evaluate a good and reputable carbon bike to know what I am or am not missing and the C50 is about as good as it gets.

C50
10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
The C50 is available in the USA for 2010 and maybe Japan but I can't confirm that one. The C50 is now listed on the Colnago America website including 4 "retro" colors to go along with the new ones. I highly recommend one if you are interested.

amator
10-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I have been offered a good deal to take an 08 Model EP less than a C50.
Apparently c50 does not come in PR82 scheme (Sarroni) that I want.
How would you rate that in terms of ride comfort agst the c50?

C50
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
It is always hard to describe the subtle differences between things like these 2 great frames and have it be meaningful because it is so personal. Do you want the Ferrari or the Lamborghini? Stop for a second and think about it, either way you win but here are my thoughts. The C50 with the HP chain stays has just a very small advantage in terms of smoothness. I wouldn't use the term comfort because both are comfortable, just smoothness. The EP has a slightly more solid feel, call it stiffness if you must but that term means nothing as far as I am concerned, just good popular marketing at the moment. The EP and now the EPS just have a little more solid or robust feel when really putting the power down.

In my opinion without knowing anymore then you like the color (and I agree it is amazingly beautiful) that far more tips the scales in favor of the EP then any slight subtle performance difference between the two models. After all if your bike looks good you will feel good and enjoy riding it that much more and thats what counts!

rnhood
10-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Do these Colnago models all share similar geometry, in that they are known for their ease of handling and stability? Or do the EP and/or EPS lean toward more agressive or high speed geometry - while the C50 is a bit more relaxed?

C50
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
same geometry for c50/ep/eps

amator
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
It is always hard to describe the subtle differences between things like these 2 great frames and have it be meaningful because it is so personal. Do you want the Ferrari or the Lamborghini? Stop for a second and think about it, either way you win but here are my thoughts. The C50 with the HP chain stays has just a very small advantage in terms of smoothness. I wouldn't use the term comfort because both are comfortable, just smoothness. The EP has a slightly more solid feel, call it stiffness if you must but that term means nothing as far as I am concerned, just good popular marketing at the moment. The EP and now the EPS just have a little more solid or robust feel when really putting the power down.

In my opinion without knowing anymore then you like the color (and I agree it is amazingly beautiful) that far more tips the scales in favor of the EP then any slight subtle performance difference between the two models. After all if your bike looks good you will feel good and enjoy riding it that much more and thats what counts!

I guess Im more old fashioned in that the EP without the HP chain stays-
looks like steel frame. The stiffest steel frame that I am accustomed to would be a Peg Marcelo which is bearable for fast rides but i wouldnt take it for an audax ramble.

As an aside ,Dealer has just reported that the size 56 EP is missing its Carbon 75 fork as it was probably given away as a warranty claim and he can give me a non matching one. I believe he will no longer be a colnago dealer in 2010.

If anyone knows of and can PM me on a new (size 56) PR82 EP going for a fairly good closeout price, Id be obliged. I guess i could also live with ST02 scheme for a c50 or EP.

Walter
10-27-2009, 06:14 AM
The Colnago worldwide site does not show a C50 in this year's lineup: http://www.colnago.com/collection.php?name=EPS

The Colnago America site does:
http://www.colnago-america.com/collection.php?name=EPS

Stopping production of a great bike, but lots of inventory in the US?

jlwdm
10-27-2009, 06:27 AM
The Colnago worldwide site does not show a C50 in this year's lineup: http://www.colnago.com/collection.php?name=EPS

No, as mentioned above still being produced and available in US and maybe Japan but not world wide.

Jeff

Polyglot
10-28-2009, 01:00 AM

This is typical for Colnago. The US is seen as a prime dumping ground for obsolete and overstock frames. Historically the US has always seen models stay in the catalog at least one year longer than in Europe, plus we get the honor of paying more for the same frames too...

don'TreadOnMe
10-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Along (very) similar lines, I really like the De Rosa Neo Pro, & would love to try one out.

Walter
10-29-2009, 06:29 AM
No, as mentioned above still being produced and available in US and maybe Japan but not world wide.

Jeff

Jeff,

If they are still making it, what is the reason behind not selling it worldwide? What is the replacement for the C50 worldwide?

Walter

sspielman
10-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Jeff,

If they are still making it, what is the reason behind not selling it worldwide? What is the replacement for the C50 worldwide?

Walter

Colnago "integrated" their top offerings and offer the EPS...What I heard is that the dealers ASKED for the c50 because that is what their customers were still requesting, so Colnago is still making them for the US. I think that it was stupid of Colnago to call the replacement the EPS and lose the marketing continuity they had built...they could easily have called it the C60....

jlwdm
10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
If you want a lot more info on the 2010 line, Colnago America Inc on Facebook is a good source.

As mentioned here the marketing pushes the EPS as the improvement over the C50:

Colnago America, Inc. states:
People who've ridden the EPS after owning a C50 and an Extreme Power describe it as having the comfort of a C50 and the lateral stiffness of the Extreme Power, but with better front end handling.

Jeff

amator
10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
If you want a lot more info on the 2010 line, Colnago America Inc on Facebook is a good source.

As mentioned here the marketing pushes the EPS as the improvement over the C50:

People who've ridden the EPS after owning a C50 and an Extreme Power describe it as having the comfort of a C50 and the lateral stiffness of the Extreme Power, but with better front end handling.

Jeff

Yes.... some of the dealers have taken this marketing line.

Walter
10-30-2009, 03:29 PM

I have ridden my C50 for three years and have no complaints about the front end? It is sure footed, turns in well, and tracks just fine on bumpy, high speed descents. What did they make better?

If the geometry is identical, I gather the change is simply a more rigid fork/headtube?

C50
10-30-2009, 05:26 PM
The EP got larger diameter top and down tubes with 'stiffening ribs', different chainstays and a new fork - the C75 as opposed to the Star fork. The EPS has a headtube the tapers from 1 1/8 at the top to 1 1/2 at the bottom. It is most like the Ferarri that had 500hp and the new improved model has 520hp :)

SoCalSteve
10-30-2009, 10:31 PM
The EP got larger diameter top and down tubes with 'stiffening ribs', different chainstays and a new fork - the C75 as opposed to the Star fork. The EPS has a headtube the tapers from 1 1/8 at the top to 1 1/2 at the bottom. It is most like the Ferarri that had 500hp and the new improved model has 520hp :)

Ive seen them side by side and honestly, except for the integrated/tapering headset, I could not tell them apart...

Just sayin'

Steve

C50
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
which ones did you have side by side? C50 and ep/eps or ep and eps. From the c50 to the ep the seatube bacome larger in diameter from using a 28.0 seatpost to 31.6. The stiffening ribs are internal to the tubes so not visible on the outside. The ep and eps share the tubeset with the additional change to the tapered headtube on the eps.