PDA

View Full Version : 1up props

lemonlaug
10-23-2009, 03:11 PM
On the basis of the prevailing forum wisdom I bought a 1up trainer recently. Thing is sweeet. You can tell the thing is well designed just handling it. I love the design of the clamping mechanism. I also love that it came from just down the road in WI.

Now if only my knee would quit hurting so I could actually pound on the thing.

PBWrench
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I used one for a couple of years and then went back to CycleOps -- I like the feel of the resisistance better. However, 1 up is beautifully designed and machined -- extremely cool and a good value. And Mid-Western!

stephenmarklay
10-24-2009, 06:28 AM
I found a Kinetic on CL for a good deal otherwise I would have done a 1up -- made in USA.

John H.
10-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I agree that they are well made. But like others have said, I did not love it. Felt like it needed to be at 80 rpms to make the resistance feel right. Sold it and got a Kurt Kinetic.

paulrad9
10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree that they are well made. But like others have said, I did not love it. Felt like it needed to be at 80 rpms to make the resistance feel right. Sold it and got a Kurt Kinetic.

Before you sold, did you try moving the bearings to the outer holes to increase the resistance?

John H.
10-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Tried it all different ways- I wanted to like it because it is so well made- Does not work as well as a straight up trainer. I would get a Kurt Kinetic or Cycle-ops any day over the 1up.

Before you sold, did you try moving the bearings to the outer holes to increase the resistance?

12XU
10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Bringing back an old thread. I've had a CycleOps Fluid 2 for a couple years now and I'm giving up on it. I always experienced a lot of side to side play from the rear wheel, no matter how tight the QR was bolted in. A friend has a 1up and loves it. I'm seriously considering one but I'm surprised by people's responses here.
I've heard it takes around 5 minutes for the trainer to warm up so you get an even resistance, are there other problems?
Another major concern of mine is locking in track nuts rather than a QR skewer when I want to warm up at the track. Would the 1up do a good job of this or not? The CycleOps was pathetic in this regard.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

John H.
10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Don't do it- lots of other better options.
Kurt Kinetic or Cycle-ops.
Also, new lemond Trainer is worth a look.
1 UP is nicely machined junk-

Peter P.
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Another major concern of mine is locking in track nuts rather than a QR skewer when I want to warm up at the track. Would the 1up do a good job of this or not? The CycleOps was pathetic in this regard.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Regarding the track locknuts: Kurt did offer different receptacles for different types of axle ends i.e., skewers vs. nutted. Perhaps they still do. Kurt is usually very good at responding to e-mails, so I would give that a try.

10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I have about every trainer made along with about every pair of rollers made. Just got a Lemond Revolution on trial as well.

The Lemond is cool but only works on road bikes, and I need something to use with track bikes. The Lemond works pretty well; my only real fault is that the power control head is unbelievably cheap. Software is being developed so you can use an SRM or Garmin or other head since the unit is otherwise ANT+, but it isn't quite there yet.

The Kurts are OK but didn't blow me away. I prefer the 1-Up. It lets me lower the rear wheel low so I'm not tilted downwards on the bike when using the trainer and not stacking something under the front wheel. I don't have any problem with the feel. Note that it is quite dependent on tension, so if it doesn't feel right, try a half-turn or turn of tension more or less. It does get smoother when warmed up but not hugely so. The Cyclops and the like are designed to give a very smooth ride at lower speed, because most people sit on it and just idle. The 1-Up comes into its own when you're riding harder. I also find it fits all quick releases, track nuts, etc. better than any other trainer out there, partly because it actually clamps down harder on the rear wheel.

As for track nuts, Tacx makes some custom track nuts for use on trainers. They are closed on the outside and have an extended cylindrical cross-section. Replace the nice chrome track nuts with these and they will clamp superbly into a trainer. Or, find a Phil Wood rear and use the "chrome domes" they make for their BMX hubs. These are large conical caps that the allen bolts fit through, and make magnificent clamping surfaces for trainers.

12XU
10-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Good to know about those Tacx track nuts. No matter what trainer I end up with, I'll be sure to order some of those.

flydhest
10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I am a big fan of my 1-Up. I have emotion rollers, as well, and use both. I have used Cyclops and thought they were just fine, as well.

I don't see a downside to the 1-Up, if my opinion helps at all.